Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this past summer acquired an SR40 compact along with my super blkhawk 44mag. Just visited a local pawn/gun shop the other day and wound up with 2 9mm's. A blue P85 and a like new P89 with no mag...(probably from a law enforcement auction somewhere.) Took them both home for 425.00 out the door total. Checked Dillons "Blue Press" booklet and picked up some MegGar "P' series Ruger 17 rd. mags for 26.95 + shipping. These old P series pistols are built like a tank and are pretty much the "AK47's" of semi auto pistols. A P85 was my 2nd hi-cap nine as my 1st was a S&W 59. The Smith is not missed,the "P"s are here to stay now. Somehow I get the feeling until smokeless cartridge fired pistols are a thing of the past,my grandchildren will be shooting these long after I'm gone...up next,well there's this nifty Vaquero in 45 colt....:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats nice score!! The p89 is a great weapon. I love mines, feels even better with a Hogue grip. Hehe...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 17 rd mags are great...Actually I think mecgar makes the ruger factory mags as they do many models...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great deal, you'll enjoy the Vaquero as well..... :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice going! The Ruger P85 & P89 are on the top of my favorite list of 9mm handguns. That list includes Browning HP, Walther P-38 and a number of Glocks. I like the P-95 as well!

Now, if I could find a "P" series pistol in 40 cal, my quest would be complete!

Flash

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good going, Kbr1 ! My son has a P89 and I have a P97 and we love both of them dearly! MecGar magazines work great, and I have a couple of the 17rd. Enjoy!

Roger4314 : Look down a bit to a several-day old posting by Starbuckle (me), and you'll see a beautiful picture posted from a responder of a P91D, complete with Hogue grips. As you'll read, I'm on the brink of buying one that looks exactly like the one pictured, so they're out there. All the best in your search, Sir. (^_^)

·
Registered
338 Posts
P91D

Been a while since I wandered back. My computer had major issues. I appreciate the "heads up".

Flash

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
+1 on the P series. Super-reliable & tougher than chewed gum.:D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yed\s those P89's sure are built like tanks. That was my first handgun. It's built like the SR1911 they'll be around for ever.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cant go wrong with a P89! TANK!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I totally went nuts on the"P series pistols and acquired multiple copies of each 9mm. I wasn't sure about the plastic frame P95 until I got one and really liked it. Well.....now there's multiples of that model, too.

The P85 is the original and I understand that was designed to compete as our military side arm. That wasn't successful but what resulted was a 9mm handgun that's built super strong and reliable as a rock! Every once in a while, I'll see a P89 for sale used and it takes all of my will power to say "no".

Ruger "P" series pistols get my absolute, complete "thumbs up" recommendation for anyone who needs and can shoot properly a full sized 9mm handgun!

Flash

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I picked up a NIB P89 today with a 10 and 15 round mag, for $289.00. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love my P-89, even tho I'm not a fan of stainless. It's my primary HD weapon, in my nightstand. I love how easy it is to control with +P ammo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts