Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled upon this while perusing for my next best deal. I've never seen any Ruger posted for resale with the "U" in the serial number. I can only assume what the seller is saying is true, does anyone have any further insight about this? Read the description to get the full story.

FYI ... it's not my next best deal ...

·
Exchequer
4,421 Posts
Curious.

I entered the serial number in the Ruger serial number look-up and it said no number was found. But when I excluded the "U" at the end of the serial number, it did come up with a P series pistol shipped in 1997.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,812 Posts
Here's a quote from the RENE Guide.

"PP95DAO with "U" (used) suffix serial number. Known s/n 311-52785U. Only one "U" marked P95 series pistol known but others undoubtedly exist. Extremely rare."

So here's the opportunity to buy another "U" marked P95 pistol for those who are interested in such oddities.

·
Exchequer
4,421 Posts
Maybe if I were a serious P series collector ...... but $525 for a P series is kinda rich for my blood. I'll just have to be content with my old, beat-up P85.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the verbiage in the GB post, the U was added after the fact, so that would explain the gun not coming up when you entered the sn with the U. As I said it's NOT my next best deal ...

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,812 Posts
The problem is there is no factory documentation available. Rarity is based on production numbers and Ruger refuses to release production numbers on anything. All Ruger will say is when it shipped. There’s no question what the “U” means but Ruger won’t say how rare it is. They may not even keep records of how many used guns come back through the pipeline. But even so common sense supports how uncommon they are - you just don’t see the “U” stamped guns very often.

These kinds of things always strike me as a little ironic. A used gun suddenly becomes more valuable. But there are probably collectors of such things.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Ruger altered the serial number when they did it, so they should have documentation. They got enough trouble in the past from their serial number practices.

·
Registered
822 Posts
$525 was factory new price for a P95 . .......I would not buy it
Used is used......factory used just adds more to the price.
Thousands of P95's for sale for a lot less.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love my P models. I won't buy any of them anymore unless they are a DC model To me the safety is bAss Ackwards. I have no use for a DAO P series.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put that on my watch list. 2hrs and the auction is over. The frame looks rough. It will be relisted and the game will start all over. Ruger P95 9mm Stainless Steel Slide 13014 no price. Looks like PSA had them at one time brand new. MSRP $347 Ruger P95 - Reviews, New & Used Price, Specs, Deals

This seller claims "scarce and rare" on lots of stuff. :sneaky::rolleyes:
"The serial number has a "U" suffix, indicating that this was a factory "U"sed gun. It was likely used as a salesman sample, show demo, or as a testing & evaluation gun by gunwriters. Once Ruger was done using the gun, it was stamped with the "U" and sold commercially. Per the editor of the Red Eagle News Exchange, one of the premier, and very detailed, Ruger collecting organization, this is only the second "U" P95 known. It's not to say that there aren't any other ones out there but, if so, they haven't been found by collectors yet. " I thought all of the P models were sold with 2 mags unless they were the Special Editions which only got 1.

·
Registered
134 Posts
$525 was factory new price for a P95 . .......I would not buy it
Used is used......factory used just adds more to the price.
Thousands of P95's for sale for a lot less.
If you blow up the pics that gun is filthy, tons of scratches on the frame. The sights are beat to hell. I wonder what flaws are hidden under that add on grip.

It has automatically relisted several times now. Never any bids. 🤪 :poop: Looking at his other "auctions" he listed at MSRP or more on guns. Ripoff artist in my opinion. Lower the starting bid and let the bidding begin. To me it's a $200 gun because of the condition. The U means nothing to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,188 Posts
Just curious how difficult it would be for anyone to add the U after the fact?

Kind of why I don't really do gun broker. I like gun in hand before I buy and clear background check, pay the cash and out the door.

·
Super Moderator
21,188 Posts
Yea, I have a pristine P89 Special Edition with all the papers, box and speed loader. Stamp a U on it and we'll start the bidding at $750
If there is not way to determine if they are real or not it's like investing in penny stocks. Pay and pray.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts