Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and just pruchased a new Ruger P95. Took it to the range and started shoooting---ammo jammed alot and the slide did not open when the clip emptied. Do you think it just needs broke in? It really is an awesome gun! Any ideas out there?

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
Ladyhawke ... First of all, welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Secondly, in answer to your questions, while break-in may be a factor, the more likely scenario is that you may be "limp wristing" your P95. This is a fairly common issue with new P95 owners and can definitely cause the two issues that you describe. I would suggest two things to try before calling Ruger Customer Service:
1. Take a much firmer grip and see if it resolves the issue. If it does not ...
2. Have an experienced semi-auto shooter test your pistol and see if they also experience the problem. If they do, then a call to Ruger CS is probably in order.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ladyhawke ... First of all, welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio ... Glad to have you aboard!

Secondly, in answer to your questions, while break-in may be a factor, the more likely scenario is that you may be "limp wristing" your P95. This is a fairly common issue with new P95 owners and can definitely cause the two issues that you describe. I would suggest two things to try before calling Ruger Customer Service:
1. Take a much firmer grip and see if it resolves the issue. If it does not ...
2. Have an experienced semi-auto shooter test your pistol and see if they also experience the problem. If they do, then a call to Ruger CS is probably in order.
I second that recommendation. I have never had a misfeed or jam in my P95 and both my wife and daughter have several per range session. Not trying to say it's a Lady thing, more of a new shooter thing.

Also, by firmer grip that includes keeping your shooting had wrist firm, not necessarily just trying to squeeze blood out of the P95 grip.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota. P95s are well known for being tough, boringly reliable, accurate, decent trigger, and a heck of a value. Other posts should help you learn to use it

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
And couple more suggestions: did you give it a thorough cleaning before using it? If not, be sure to clean and lube it well before your next time out with it.

Also, we're you shooting fmj ammo? It's usually not a good idea to use hollow points until you have it broken in a bit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You made a good choice with the P95, they're a lot of gun for the money and worth every penny. I have an LCP and Lc9 both of which have frame's made from the same material as your P95, to include the guide rails. Clean your pistol and keep it lubricated, keep a good grip and shoot it a lot. FWIW I've been shooting pistol's for close to forty year's now and I still sometimes catch myself limpwristing a polymer framed pistol.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
You've made a good choice in a handgun.
Good advice above.

·
Registered
53 Posts
welcome from SE ohio here.. which part do you hail from? also like to 2nd or 3rd above information. i'd attribute it to limp wristing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have always been a .45 shooter but when the ammo crunch appeared, I started shooting 9mm.

I found the Ruger "P" series pistols and temporarily lost my mind! In the frenzy that followed, I ended up with two P95's. As a previous post states, the pistols are almost boring in reliability and the all polymer frame is slick as snot. Malfunctions on the P95, or any of the "P" pistols are very uncommon by reputation. I say "by reputation" because I've never had a malfunction in ANY of the "P" series pistols!

I'd like to hear a bit about the ammo and magazines that you're using. Are you small in the hands and/or small in stature? If so, "limp writing" may actually be the source of the problems.

Welcome! Try a firm grip and let us know how it works.

Flash

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I can't add anything to the advice you have already gotten. Just want to welcome you to the forum. You will find a lot of great information here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have one and never had a problem with it. After giving it a clean/lube, run some quality ammo through it; also, welcome to the forum...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts