Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: If you are not a gunsmith you should not alter your gun. If you are relying on a warranty with Ruger, you should not alter your gun. If you have an issue - send it to Ruger. That said...

I was having a problem with failure to eject, stovepiping, damage to the front of the ejection port, and damaged brass (can't reload it). Besides those issues I noted the brass was all slinging forward and landing inconsistently. When I disassembled the bolt to clean it I noticed that the ejector finger was nearly non-existent and the recess cut into the latch was not nearly the thickness of the rim on most 9mm Luger brass cases.

I did not take a photo of before but I did find a couple of references on the Inet that showed the finger on the extractor to be more substantial than mine. Using a Dremmel tool and file I remove a small about of material to insure that the catch was at least as deep as the rim of the 9mm brass. See picture. I will let you know how it works by about Sunday 2/10/19 (Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same frustrating problem with mine. It has occurred right from the start. I have removed the bolt and mirror polished all surfaces that touch the receiver. Stove piping was not as frequent upon 2nd range outing but was still happening. Removed bolt and recoil spring and cut about 1/2" off of the spring. When the spring is compressed it's only about 4" long. At rest it grows to at least 6", so there is allot of load on the spring just sitting in the receiver. 3rd outing still better, only 1 but still there. I called and talked with a woman at Ruger and they knew nothing about an existing problem with stove piping. Are you have accuracy trouble as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pulled out the ejector and noticed what you described in tour post. I filed a deeper, sharper hook as well using a spent casing to examine depth of engagement. Time will tell.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I pulled out the ejector and noticed what you described in tour post. I filed a deeper, sharper hook as well using a spent casing to examine depth of engagement. Time will tell.
Did it solve the problem? You mean extractor? Ruger is sending me a new extractor, spring, and pin to see if it clears the malfunctions my PCC has developed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did it solve the problem? You mean extractor? Ruger is sending me a new extractor, spring, and pin to see if it clears the malfunctions my PCC has developed.
it should, at least until the new one wears out. did you try replacing the ejector in the magwell too? you can just swap it with the one that is in the other magwell insert that came with your gun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
it should, at least until the new one wears out. did you try replacing the ejector in the magwell too? you can just swap it with the one that is in the other magwell insert that came with your gun.
Forgot to mention I was using the Glock Mag well originally.
I switched back to the complete Ruger magwell and magazine to see if the problems would end..they didn’t and both ejectors look identical.

·
Registered
44 Posts
stovepipes on fast splits.

I was getting stove pipes on fast splits. Slow fire was no problem. I deepened the extractor to get a better bite on the case rim, and that helped some, but i was still getting stovepipes on fast splits. I took the recoil spring out and put an empty case in the bolt and slowly pulled the bolt back to the ejector. The ejector was barely catching the case to peel it out of the bolt/extractor. I gently tweeked the ejector to hit more of the case and have not had a stove pipe since. I have really tested it too, running shots of 6 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger. So 2 things... file the extractor a little deeper, and adjust the ejector, and jams will go away!

·
Registered
222 Posts
PCC9 ejection malfunctions

I was getting stove pipes on fast splits. Slow fire was no problem. I deepened the extractor to get a better bite on the case rim, and that helped some, but i was still getting stovepipes on fast splits. I took the recoil spring out and put an empty case in the bolt and slowly pulled the bolt back to the ejector. The ejector was barely catching the case to peel it out of the bolt/extractor. I gently tweeked the ejector to hit more of the case and have not had a stove pipe since. I have really tested it too, running shots of 6 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger. So 2 things... file the extractor a little deeper, and adjust the ejector, and jams will go away!
Great news!

I’ve replaced the following parts now:
1- Extractor, pin and spring...no improvement. Old parts looked the same.
2- Recoil spring and retainer...the new spring is ~1\4" longer...no improvement.
3- Ejector..old part looked the same...now the shells are ejecting 2-3’ and some hit my right arm...I’m a leftie and this sucks!

Frustrating to not have a reliable Ruger....but I will persist!

I’m ready to try to bend the ejector and hope you or someone can give instructions for tweaking the ejector...which way and how much?

I don’t think the extractor needs filing so I will hold off on that mod...for now.

I wonder if filing and angling the dinged front edge of the ejector port would help?

I prefer to not send my PCC9 back for repairs if this is an easy fix.

Will definitely keep this thread going and hope to have good news soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
MountainHunter I feel your pain! I bought my PC9 for USPSA PCC division, so was pretty disappointed in the stovepipes. I got it about 4 weeks ago and have run about 3k rounds through it. It just wasn't reliable enough to use in a match. I put 400 rounds through it yesterday after filing the extractor and adjusting the ejector. I am going out again today, and will go through another couple hundred rounds. If all goes good, Ill clean it up and try to get some pictures to help you. I didn't want to send mine into Ruger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Didn't see mention of what ammo is being used. But FWIW, the symptoms described are often caused by reloaded or factory ammunition loaded too light for the recoil spring installed. This, whether in a 9MM PCC or semi-auto pistol. Ammunition that has always reliably functioned in any semi-auto for me, locked breech or blowback, is Winchester or IMI 124 grain NATO.......ymmv

·
Registered
222 Posts
Didn't see mention of what ammo is being used. But FWIW, the symptoms described are often caused by reloaded or factory ammunition loaded too light for the recoil spring installed. This, whether in a 9MM PCC or semi-auto pistol. Ammunition that has always reliably functioned in any semi-auto for me, locked breech or blowback, is Winchester or IMI 124 grain NATO.......ymmv
I mostly use 115 or 124G FMJ Ball. I only use factory ammo, brass cased.
Tried 115 +P+ FMJHP ...no improvement.
Tried 135g Tracers without any issues.
Going to try 147g FMJ next.
Never tried reloads...so far.

It would be interesting for me to try a lighter recoil spring and see if the issue stops?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am no longer having stovepipes. I have cycled hundreds of rounds now high speed and just shot a USPSA match with no issues. Just file the extractor and adjust the ejector. Ruger or Volquartsen needs to make a better extractor for the PC9.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am no longer having stovepipes. I have cycled hundreds of rounds now high speed and just shot a USPSA match with no issues. Just file the extractor and adjust the ejector. Ruger or Volquartsen needs to make a better extractor for the PC9.
Glad to hear your PCC is running without issues.
Which way does the ejector get adjusted?
I called Volquartsen and they said they will not be making a extractor for the PCC9.
Thank you for any help!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Might be fixed!!!

I did some research on the Internet and came to the conclusion that bending the ejector up until it’s just touching the channel in the bottom of the bolt it rides in just might help. IT DID...so far!!! The adjustment was very small to get it to touch. I used a 4” vise grip crescent wrench to make the adjustment.

Since bending the ejector up I have without malfunction fired 115g FMJ, 124g FMJ, and 147g FMJ...all Ball.

No stovepies or failed trigger resets.

I also made sure the side of the extractor was just touching the channel as well...that did not make any noticeable change.

Shells are ejecting mostly at 3 o’clock, sometimes 2 and about 6-8’ away.

Never did file the new extractor...no need to so far.

Feeling good about my PCC9 again!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stovepiping and ejector issues...

I've ordered the Mcarbo spring and ejector and will update with results. These two items are meant to eliminate this issue. It happened to me afte less than 30rds using the stock rueger mag well. I will inspect my ejector when removed to see if it exhibits any of your observations (shallow hook, bent etc..)

I was a bit bummed it stove piped that soon but am willing to "get it right" as shooting this gun is a blast!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm excited about the new extractor. Would be cool to see a company come out with a improved ejector though too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts