Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I first want to start out by saying that I am absolutely new to forums and want to apologize in advance if I am not going about things properly. I just recently completed a little project that I wanted to share with everyone ( please note that I do not claim credit for this and I am sorry if someone has beat me to it, but I have search the interweb and this forum and have found nothing but alot of people wishing and hoping Ruger will answer their prayers, but I am super stoked about this and had to share it. ) I am the proud owner of a PC Carbine and I love it. It is one of the coolest firearms I have ever owned. I'm sure like 99% of PC Carbine owners mine got setup with the glock magwell insert, but the problem is I do not want to buy a glock to go along with it. Before all the glock lovers start giving me a hard time I just want to say that I do very much love glocks, some of my friends and club members own them and let me shoot them all the time, i just want something different......... I want a Sig Sauer P226.

I seen a video where a guy modded M&P mags to work in his Carbine and thought that that was pretty cool, but a few weeks ago now i found somewhere on the internet ( and i apologize again for not remembering who it was, but if you are reading this thank you for inspiring me ) someone posted somewhere that they put their P226 mag in their M&P9 and they almost flawlessly worked. So i got really excited and wanted to see if i could use Sig mags in my Carbine, So I drove an hour and a half to the next town over and bought a Mecgar P226 magazine to try........

With some work it works PERFECTLY!!!!!!

First off, I went to find my SR9 magwell and realized that I misplaced it. So I put out a wanted ad on a used firearm site that I'm a member of and an extremely awesome and kind gentleman replied to my ad. After talking a bit about what I was trying to do he not only gave me his SR9 magwell, but shipped it to me for free! For that I am greatly appreciative.

Once I received the magwell I modded my mag to lock into it by using my dremel and file to make the mag catch slot on the front of the mag.

At this point it worked flawlessly, except for the bolt would not lock back on empty. So after looking at it I decided to try and bend the last round plunger on the magwell down to engage the follower. Unfortunately I was out just a little bit when I bent the plunger and when I went to bent it back it snapped in half......... rookie mistake, lol.

So I decided I would just make one. I have these little steel plates that were weights at the bottom of an old set of blinds that were garbage and just happened to be the same thickness, so I once again broke out the dremel and file. After an hour of tinkering I had my plunger! It took 2 attempts of minor fitting, but it works now!

The only thing I want to try now is to harden the plunger to ensure it will last, but it held up to a pretty vigorous range test so I'm happy as can be, I was too excited and forgot to take a video....... next time tough. I would now like to try with other mags like Beretta, CZ, Hi-Power, 1911 and whatever else I or anyone else can think of. If anyone has tried this I would love to hear your experiences. I took some pics for reference, My plunger is the silver one. Please tell me what you think and thanks for letting me share this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Welcome to the Ruger Forum from Indiana.

That is some fine work and creative thinking.

I just went the lazy man's route. I thought about buying a Glock, but I simply could not lower myself to that level. So, instead, I just bought a Ruger SR9 and nine more SR9 17-round mags.

Now I have the PCC-9, SR9, and a total of 12 17-round mags.

And the madness continues. I am really looking at the PCC-40 and an SR40 combo. Just seems to go together great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kind words White Squirrel. Wow, that's awesome. Up here in Canada the SR9 mags are 70+tax apiece for measly 10 rounders ( another big reason I chose P226 mags is the Mecgar ones I got are $50 each after tax )......... the only good thing about magazine limits is I don't cruise through ammo at an insane rate, lol. I am really hoping that Ruger will do stand alone caliber conversion kits then I wouldn't have to buy another rifle, but we will see....... I dont even know yet if a .40 cal version will be made for us Canadians.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well jimb, CZ and Beretta are the ones that are high on my list to try next because that's what alot of people seem to have and want, so when I find some cheap used mags or someone around my area has some i can play with i will be updating everybody about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stumbled across this thread and since I love shooting my PC9 and P226 in two gun matches I thought I'd give it a try. In the last match I grabbed the wrong mag off my belt on a reload and just went downhill from there.

Anyway...this mod worked great so far!! I only tried it with dummy rounds so far but hope to get to the range with it soon.

As a bonus...I took a look at me X5 Legion mags and a similar mod to them worked as well so now both P226 and P320 mags function fine. I'm really stoked and can't wait for a match.

LogginChains thanks a bunch for sharing this!!

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan
26 Posts
It makes sense because Mecgar makes most of the handgun magazines, in fact 10+ years ago when I had the compact KelTec P11 it took the old S&W 59 mags that were like 20 round capacity.

·
Captain General
23 Posts
A Beretta 92 magazine will work in a Sig p226 just by using a Dremel to cut a new mag catch slot. So if a p226 mag will work in a PC Carbine, the Beretta mag should work as well. And, mil surplus mags can be found everywhere for $10-$15, I just gave away a half dozen myself to a fellow shooter that just got a Beretta 92.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts