Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get either the 10.5 or 16 inch barrel for the PC by itself. I’m in the market for a PCC and the Ruger stands out to me. TheFireArmsGuy on Youtube did a video of him swapping out the barrels and it worked. For what I know, Ruger won’t sell a stand-alone barrel. Does anyone else know how I could get one? OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have not seen an aftermarket barrel yet for the PC Charger nor have I seen anyone using a PC Carbine barrel.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger publishes a stern warning to owners of both not to install the PC Charger barrel on a regular PC Carbine. Doing so creates a Short Barrel Rifle (SPR) and immediately puts you into NFA territory. That can be a serious offense unless you have the required tax stamp and registration.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that the Charger barrel is different than the carbine barrel just to prevent this sort of thing.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Oh, dear god... The rumors are starting already.

As of yet, no aftermarket barrels are available. That will hopefully change. Certain used parts such as barrels may show up for sale on auctions or classifieds. With any luck, this platform will go the way of the 10/22 and more options will be available! I have seen others' interest in various barrel types and styles.

For now, you have to sit tight or buy both.

((And for clarity, putting a short barrel (<16") on the rifle receiver without a tax stamp is illegal. You can put a rifle barrel (>16") on the pistol receiver.))

·
Registered
764 Posts
On page 13 of the PC Charger manual (that little book that comes with the PC Charger that almost no one reads) is a warning about the National Firearms Act (NFA) prohibitions. Prohibited item #2 says: A weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel of less than 16 inches in length. This means putting the PC Charger barrel onto the PC Carbine stock assembly is illegal. It will work but the BATF will not be very happy about it. It is legal to put the Carbine barrel on the Charger but not the reverse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So just so we're clear here......

A PC Charger (Pistol) can have the 16 inch barrel put on it making it a rifle, and then be turned back into a pistol no problem.
A PC Carbine (Rifle) cannot have a barrel shorter than 16 inches on it unless you have the $200 tax stamp for an SBR.

Shows just how little sense these laws make. At this point, the Charger is the better option. Keep it in pistol form for in house CQB, then switch up to the rifle barrel for outside work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Greetings...

Let's Assume that it's possible to take either barrel assembly and put it on the other.
The ONLY Legal combination, assuming you don't have the tax stamp, would be putting the Rifle barrel on the Pistol, assuming you don't then put the pistol receiver on any kind of Rifle Stock. Because there is no BATF definition about any maximum length of Barrel for a pistol, but they do define what a Rifle Stock + Barrel overall length is. That's why Ruger puts a "Pistol" Brace MOUNT on the Charger Version, but won't actually sell you one! They let YOU go find one and put it on yourself.

Just putting the 16" barrel on the Pistol Receiver does NOT make it a Rifle, it just makes it a Pistol with a really long barrel, BUT Now that I think about it...

That's probably also why you will NEVER see a YouTube Video that answers the question.
I'm about to get the Newest Version Chassis Model (that's the one with the Evil Pistol Grip, Evil Collapsable Stock, and the M-lock Barrel Shroud. My first one was the 1st plastic stock version, and my first range session QUICKLY schooled me on just how HOT that barrel gets when you blast off $300 worth of 9mm luger in minutes! Now I want another! After that, Just because, I also plan on getting the PC Charger "Pistol".

Since the Barrel Assembly is the part that actually has the Chamber, Isn't that the only BATF part that's actually defined as a Firearm? I'm pretty sure it is, so it's not likely that you will ever see any barrels for sale anywhere that aren't full guns. So thinking about this MORE - IF it's the pcc9 Barrel that is defined as a Firearm - Putting the long Rifle barrel on the Charger Receiver assembly - would be JUST as illegal because it would then Violate the Overall length rules, UNLESS you put the Charger Receiver into a Longer Rifle Stock!

Man, These BATF rules almost requires one to have a law degree just to own a firearm!

So NOW I'm thinking that the ONLY Legal Recourse is "DON'T Switch them, even IF you could!"

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is legal to put a carbine barrel on the PC Charger and there is a video on this. There is no video of putting the 6.5" Charger barrel on the Carbine because that is illegal. BATF has said the serialized receiver is the "firearm" and not the barrel. You can buy legally, without a tax stamp, .22lr barrels for the Ruger 10/22 both the fixed version and the take down version.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The ONLY Legal combination, assuming you don't have the tax stamp, would be putting the Rifle barrel on the Pistol, assuming you don't then put the pistol receiver on any kind of Rifle Stock. Just putting the 16" barrel on the Pistol Receiver does NOT make it a Rifle, it just makes it a Pistol with a really long barrel, BUT Now that I think about it...
If you put a 16+ inch barrel on the Charger receiver you can indeed legally add a rifle stock. For example T/C Contender and Encore rifles/pistols can be switched up and back between pistol and rifle length barrels and stocks assuming the gun was originally registered as a pistol. The Charger would be equally legal. You don't want to put a short barrel on a rifle stocked action with out the NFA stamp.

the Barrel Assembly is the part that actually has the Chamber, Isn't that the only BATF part that's actually defined as a Firearm? I'm pretty sure it is, so it's not likely that you will ever see any barrels for sale anywhere that aren't full guns. So thinking about this MORE - IF it's the pcc9 Barrel that is defined as a Firearm - Putting the long Rifle barrel on the Charger Receiver assembly - would be JUST as illegal because it would then Violate the Overall length rules, UNLESS you put the Charger Receiver into a Longer Rifle Stock
No, the receiver is the serial numbered part and is, by definition, the "firearm". Barrels can be purchased with no paper work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Greetings...

Indeed! Please forgive me, if I made a few errors or other erroneous statements!
I just discovered a "Place a 16" PCC barrel on a PC Charger Video on Youtube.
So yes! It's not only possible, it's also apparently quite legal!
From what I can tell, there is absolutely no difference at all.
Sweet!
My only excuse is "Brain Damage"!!
3 strokes tends to leave one's once magnificent brain a true mess!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts