Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Need some advice. Why is it almost impossible to get my receiver out of the stock? I see videos and after removing the screws they almost fall out! Had a real hard time when I changed my magwell, and can't get it out now to clean.

Whats the trick? Can I file somewhere once apart to make easier? What is the hangup??

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you back out the action bolts all the way? I assume you removed the barrel/forend assembly first, right?
Took the bolts out, barrel is off and bolt released.
I got it apart, but not sure how, lol. At one point it just fell out. Really weird.

Now the extra weird part. I was having extraction issues and thought it needed a good lube. Once I got the bolt out, I found the problem.

There is NO extractor installed in the bolt! Just an empty slot! Sometimes it would run 3-4 in a row with no issue. How is that possible!? I know it didn't fall out anywhere because I work at a nice clean bench in a small basement room, set up just for my gun work/cleaning.

Already called Ruger. They are busy! Had to leave a message.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No - extractor in the side of the bolt. After watching the video from Ruger, I see I'm missing the spring and pin too. Hopefully the "less than helpful lady" from Ruger is sending all three parts.

It seemed like I was bothering her.

These parts were never installed in my new gun. It's amazing it actually would run a few rounds before jamming!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have seen this before, crazy they would let one go out with missing parts. I've had a few different issues with mine not related to the extractor. Makes me question Ruger's quality control overall. They are good about sending replacement parts quickly and free of charge at least.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As you discovered, blowback actions don't always require an extractor to pull the empty case out of the chamber. They work better with one but it isn't always essential.

I agree it's a real oversight and, I hope, a rare one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
GP Fan had it right, in the Ruger 10/22 blowback action, the gas pressure “extracts“ the cartridge from the chamber since the bolt is not locked to the chamber and is only held in place by spring pressure. The mechanical extractor is really only needed to pull out a cartridge from the chamber when the cartridge has NOT been fired.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you discovered, blowback actions don't always require an extractor to pull the empty case out of the chamber. They work better with one but it isn't always essential.

I agree it's a real oversight and, I hope, a rare one.
GP Fan had it right, in the Ruger 10/22 blowback action, the gas pressure “extracts“ the cartridge from the chamber since the bolt is not locked to the chamber and is only held in place by spring pressure. The mechanical extractor is really only needed to pull out a cartridge from the chamber when the cartridge has NOT been fired.

Well I sure hope the empties come out more reliably after I install the parts Ruger forgot, because the gun is far from running right!

I continue to be a huge Ruger fan :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Need some advice. Why is it almost impossible to get my receiver out of the stock? I see videos and after removing the screws they almost fall out! Had a real hard time when I changed my magwell, and can't get it out now to clean.

Whats the trick? Can I file somewhere once apart to make easier? What is the hangup??

Thanks for your time!
I had the same problem recently when I changed out the magwell. Like you I don’t know what I did but after pulling hard a few minutes somehow it popped out. I reassembled and hope next time it comes out easier.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh man !
sounds like bad luck!
Spoke to Ruger. Got someone good today!

They sent a 10/22 pin and extractor instead of PCC parts.
At least knowing that I can save them as spares...I mean everyone has a few 10/22's. This person sent parts Priority, so 3 days and hopefully have a running PCC. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. I got my PC Carbine today and ran into the problem of the receiver not coming off after the takedown bolts were loosened. The solution was to pull the bolt back and let it go a couple of times. That loosened it right up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. I got my PC Carbine today and ran into the problem of the receiver not coming off after the takedown bolts were loosened. The solution was to pull the bolt back and let it go a couple of times. That loosened it right up.
You're a lifesaver!!! I was just fighting with my rifle for 30 minutes. Read the manual, watched videos, etc. It wouldn't budge at all. Searched and found your post and BAM, it fell out! I have no idea what was holding it in but your advice fixed it. Thanks!

·
docflash
1 Posts
When all else fails . . .

. . . follow instructions!

i had the same problem as the OP w/ my new PC carbine. i locked back the bolt, removed the barrel, took OUT the two bolts from the bottom (in the MLOK CA version they are NOT retained), and couldn't get the receiver to move at all. However, at 1:30 in the above video, he mentions you must remove the charging handle, which i neglected to do.

I'm on my way to give it another try. I hope this works . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a half hour of swearing, it took all of three seconds to get it out, with your advice. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just smack the trigger guard couple times with the palm of my hand. It's annoying, but in the end of the day I do like how snug the receiver fits to the stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are exactly right! So glad I found your post--been wrestling with it for hours. Your move immediately released the receiver and it popped right out, thank you!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts