Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this revolver for 30 years never had issue one with it. The other day at the range while shooting paper it fired and the barrel separated from the frame. I was shooting 357 target rounds nothing fancy when this happened.
Anyone else had this happen? And is it worth fixing?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you willing to guess the round count on your Six? I'm no gunsmith, but I assume it's going to depend on the condition of the threads in the frame. If good, now you can pick your new barrel length.

The range were I used to shoot had both it's rental S&W 686 357's send their barrels down range, so it happens...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would contact Rugers customer service to see what they say about it. They have a reputation of taking care of the customer so maybe they will replace it for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would contact Rugers customer service to see what they say about it. They have a reputation of taking care of the customer so maybe they will replace it for you.
I've called CS and they said since the gun is not in production anymore it would be a toss up if they could help me. They suggested a local gunsmith look at it. But since I'm new to SC not really sure what's available in the local area.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know where the "toss up" entered the equation. As far as I know they will not work on Six Series guns period. I think they may have that listed on their web site.

Not a big deal. I had a Redhawk do that years ago. Ruger did fix that one by replacing the barrel. Should not be a big job for a local gunsmnith if you can locate a barrel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
bc, find a decent gunsmith and have him remove the rest of the barrel out of the frame and check it over to see if it's worth fixing. if it is the go to gunpartsdotcom (numerich) and see if you can get a barrel for it , and if so have the smith replace it , then you get to shoot that classic more and grandfather it down thru the family at one point in time not junk it.

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
I agree with several here find a decent smith and have him evaluate it. To me the biggest question is removing the rest of the old BBL. I imagine that may be problematic. Never seen a Six do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I'm on a quest now for a good gunsmith. If anyone can suggest someone close to Greenville, SC it would be appreciated.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'm on a quest now for a good gunsmith. If anyone can suggest someone close to Greenville, SC it would be appreciated.
We are scattered all around the US. If you have a shotgun go shoot a round of skeet. Most people that enjoy skeet are very familiar with the local gunsmiths. You want to establish a relationship with a gunsmith, not a parts replacer. If a gunsmith is trusted to fit expensive shotguns he knows his craft.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Anderson. I'm hope your Service Six isn't terminal, but you won't know for certain until you have a gunsmith look at it. Try these gentlemen. I don't know of anyone better in the G'ville area.

Cox Ron & Ronnie Gunsmithing
Gun Shop
Address: 3138 Woodruff Rd, Simpsonville, SC 29681
Phone (864) 288-3238

There is a replacement barrel on gunbroker right now at a reasonable price.

RUGER Speed/Police Serv-Six 38 Spec 4" BLUE BARREL : Pistol Barrels at GunBroker.com

Parts for the Secuity/Speed/Service Sixes are no longer available from Ruger. They discontinued the series 30+ years ago.

Another source for parts is:

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota

You'll need to call. They don't include their inventory on their web site.

Best Regards,

ADP3

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
What the hell?!?!?

A Six having a barrel blow off?

I've heard of a very small number of Redhawks doing this due to some freak,isolated thing where a new cutting lube was used and something wierd happened to the steel, the number of failures was low but it led to Ruger making the Super Redhawk because they wanted to advertise a "new stronger" .44 revolver.......

It may be some wierd manufacturing defect that took 30 or more years to surface......unless a past owner monkeyed with it, someone screwed up changing the barrel, or fired a ton of super hot light bullet .357's through it......

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check e bay periodically, they have barrels come up quite often. Right now there are just service and speed six barrels on there. Best of luck getting it going again.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Luckily it's a Service Six, an overseas PD or some such just sold 1000's of them to a Century, and they "part out" the unserviceable or unsaleable ones, so there should be a Service Six barrel for sale somewhere.

Or if you have the $$$$ now's your chance to get a Python barrel and make a Cougar:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
No real advice for you but glad you didn't get hurt when it happened. Guns can be replaced or repaired, body parts, not so much...
-Jim

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
FYI the only service option offered by Ruger for the Six series is replacement of the gun with an SP101 at wholesale cost.

Another guy on here called Ruger CS, with a busted Six series, they said "send it in we'll see what we can do" and then said they weren't returning the gun, it was irrepairable, but he could have a 4" .357 SP101 shipped to his dealer for $430 or some such.

Calling Ruger could be an option if it looks like the cost to repair the Six will not be worth it, by the time you find a barrel, get someone to fish the cracked threads out of the frame,etc. you may have more than the cost of a wholesale SP101 into it, unless you're really attached to the Six.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Interesting photo. Personally I'd be curious to see a few more photos. Could you show one looking into the forcing cone? Also one looking at the recoil shield?. A couple of general photos would make it much easier for all to see the overall condition of the gun.

There is really no basis here for advice other than to guess. My personal guess is that this is a well used gun, and most likely one that has been used to fire .357 mag primarily. The fire that accompanies a .357 will eventually eat the top strap and melt the forcing cone and as you found out also the barrel threads. And that's another problem...removing the remaining piece of the barrel from the frame. Makes me wonder if the bore is rusted. More photos?

Let's say a barrel is found - either new or used - that would take care of the barrel situation for the time being, but the rest of the gun probably has the same general level of wear. Anyway, not something we see very often. You could use it as a snub-nose.

Eor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts