Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I guess I'll start out with the basics.

Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor 24in
Lapua Brass
CCI 400 SRP
Hornady 140g ELD
H4350

Ok now that is out of the way I just bought a RPR and have 47 rounds through it. I bought a box of cheap 6.5 C to get on target with and a box of Hornady 140g ELD to see what type of groups I can get with some good factory ammo.
Now I am trying to build up a load for this rifle and really fine tune it. However the issue I'm running into is I am seeing a lot of people on various forums with this Rifle running 42-42.5g of H4350 with a 140g bullet rather its Hornady, Sierra, etc. and everything I'm reading from these people 42g seems to be the so called sweet spot.
Now I started safe and loaded 3 rounds with 41.1g then 3 with 41.3 and a final 3 with 41.5. Everything was looking good until I shot the 41.5g.
on all 3 rounds of the 41.5g I am not seeing any signs of cratering and yes I have double and triple checked that but I am seeing the half moon extractor indentation on the bottom of the brass. Its faint but its definatly there. when I loaded 2 rounds at 41.4g the half moon was gone.

Has anyone else experienced these high pressure signs under 42.0g of H4350 with this rifle? I know in other forums the only variable is brass, and primers some are using Hornady brass with LRP's, magnum primers, by other various manufactures. So could this be the combo of the CCI400 SRP's and Lapua? or is something out of spec with the rifle?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I seriously doubt it’s the rifle, Lapua brass does have about 2 grains less case capacity than the Hornady in the 6.5, so yeah adjustments need to be made. What’s your resizing process, neck, bushing, F/L? If it’s F/L are you just bumping the shoulder or are you mashing it back to SAAMI specs? Did you encounter a sticky bolt lift?

I ran up the ladder with my Creedmoor with no pressure signs, but the accuracy wasn’t there. I settled on 40.4gr of H4350 using 140 ELD-M’s, I use Hornady brass......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a Redding 6.5 match grade die set. And new Lapua brass however I ran them threw the sizers before loading. But yes I know what you mean my 308 running the 168g eld did not like the higher end charges either. I got close to hole through hole running a little lighter. But I still think it’s good to know where your limits are with a particular rifle.
I believe I need to send this seating die back to Redding because it’s denting the hell out of the 140 ELD’s and have them fix it. I have had that issue with Redding before.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I run a lot of Redding dies, (the 6.5 included) maybe I've been lucky......I'd pick up a box of 20 in the Hornady line, (your choice) fire them and reload them to the same charge weights and see if the results are different. I'm bettin' they will be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Redding this morning and they stated the denting is caused by hot having the VLD stem. I guess the ELD bullets need that particular stem. So Redding is sending me one for free. Thank you for your help Mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts