Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if its possible to get a custom barrel made for the RPR or buy a barrel blank to have a barrel drilled?

i would like to have a barrel that would take my Mosin & PSL ammo 7.62x54R
its so close to a .308 round but not close enough and would be nice if the RPR could use the economical 54R ammo.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
does anyone know if its possible to get a custom barrel made for the RPR or buy a barrel blank to have a barrel drilled?

i would like to have a barrel that would take my Mosin & PSL ammo 7.62x54R
its so close to a .308 round but not close enough and would be nice if the RPR could use the economical 54R ammo.
Anything is possible if you have enough cash to throw around. If you want to save money and be able to shoot cheap ammo just start handloading your own. If you get into casting your own lead projectiles and you have a source for free brass it will cost you less than 25 cents per shot. I do that for 300 AAC blackout that I make from free 223 remington brass I get from my local shooting range and the total cost per shot is only 9 cents if I use a plain base bullet mold or a couple pennies more if I use a gas check design mold.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Why in the world would anyone want a $1200 rifle to shoot poor quality, bulk, old military surplus ammo, because it's cheap. I am all for people doing what they want.........but will have to admit this one makes little sense to me.

But to answer your question...............yes sir. There are plenty of places that will happy to take your money to rebarrel a RPR in whatever caliber you want. But with the cost of off the shelf 308 ammo these days, you will have to shoot up a LOT of 7.62x54 ammo to come out ahead of the cost for the barrel and work. Not to mention the accuracy will greatly suffer with the cheap 7.62x54 ammo.

Want to shoot up a bunch of cheap ammo in a decently accurate(for the ammo) rifle..........buy a $100 Mosin. Put the action in a decent stock and get a nice trigger for it. That will be as accurate as the ammo will LET it be and save you a bunch of money

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You'd probably need a larger bolt/bolt face and different extractor to make it happen as well as proprietary magazines.

I like 7.62x54R, but that requires a gun built around the cartridge, not just a caliber conversion.

Maybe find one of these?
IZHMASH RECORD 7.62x54r TARGET RIFLE.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The RPR is a short action rifle, meaning it's designed for 2.80" or less cartridges, the x54R is ~3.04" for COAL - in other words, it's about a quarter inch too long for the action and the magazines.

So that's the major killer.

Other problems that COULD get fixed by a large amount of money:

1) Bolt face would have to be opened up
2) Mag box and follower isn't designed to feed rimmed cartridges
3) Rebarrel to a .311" bore.
4) The current chassis isn't long enough (no smith will likely take this job, but it MIGHT be more likely than the other issues)

But no, it won't fit and it won't feed, so doing these fixes above wouldn't matter.

There's no amount of money that you could throw at a smith to stretch the bolt, stretch the action, stretch the chassis, stretch the mag boxes and followers. It can't be done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for that info, i didnt realize it needed more then just a different chamber so that really sucks. would have been nice to be able to shoot the economical 54R ammo.

i guess i will just have to get one in .308 and reload

·
Registered
229 Posts
thanks for that info, i didnt realize it needed more then just a different chamber so that really sucks. would have been nice to be able to shoot the economical 54R ammo.

i guess i will just have to get one in .308 and reload
There’s plenty of cheap .308 ammo out there, you can get a box of Monarch from Academy for $12. I’ve never priced 7.62x54 ammo, but for what you’d spend on a new barrel and installation - you’d never recoup the money you spent just to shoot cheaper ammo.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
If you're looking for a rifle for 7.62x54r, get a Molot Vepr in 54r. It's like a psl, but not quite. It'll be semi auto, has a threaded muzzle and can be made to look like Dragunov with the right russian style glass. Here's mine:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts