Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a quick call to Ruger would clear this up, but apparently their excellent customer service took today off :rolleyes: They obviously aren't going to get back to me tonight and the suspense is killing me ;)

I have a RPR. Something that is surprising me is the bolt won't close on an empty mag. This isn't an old military rifle. Was this by design or do I have something else going on? I have only tried the one mag because I had no intention of unwrapping the other one. And I haven't shot or *done anything* with the rifle yet other than to put a bipod on it :confused:

So is the bolt supposed to hit the mag follower and not close on an empty mag, just like a lot of old military bolt actions?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I handled one at my lgs. It would not close on an empty mag either.
Thanks! I can sleep tonight, lol.
I didn't even bother putting a magazine in mine when I picked it up. Since it's not ready to shoot yet (waiting on rings), I finally got around to putting a mag in and like I said, was surprised they designed it this way. I thought maybe I had a bad follower or something else was wrong.

Whew. Glad it's not broken.
It doesn't say anything in the manual and if a review mentioned it I didn't catch it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,034 Posts
It's Not the rifle ... it's the magazine design. The Precision uses the same magazines as their semi-auto counterparts where last round bolt lock back is an important feature.

If you don't like the "bolt won't close on an empty mag" issue, just remove the lug on top of the magazine follower. Actually, this is a good feature even with a bolt action rifle. As you concentrate on your target, you don't need to count rounds .... just keep shooting until the bolt locks back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's Not the rifle ... it's the magazine design. The Precision uses the same magazines as their semi-auto counterparts where last round bolt lock back is an important feature.

If you don't like the "bolt won't close on an empty mag" issue, just remove the lug on top of the magazine follower. Actually, this is a good feature even with a bolt action rifle. As you concentrate on your target, you don't need to count rounds .... just keep shooting until the bolt locks back.
Yes. Many military rifles had their followers worked on for a more commercial use when they were sporterized.
I didn't realize anyone was still doing this (the last shot hold open) today.
But like you said, it's the use of a semi-auto magazine. That had not occurred to me that it was literally the same mag and follower.

Me thinks some filing is in order. I have no intention of carrying this rifle into battle. And I'm a good counter ;)

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts