Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm brand new to the forum, thanks for having me.

I am helping coach a youth precision rifle team that will participate in the NRL .22 matches and other rimfire competitions. I bought my son a Ruger Precision Rimfire for him to compete with and we have found the bolt to be very stiff when raising and cocking the rifle and also when returning the bolt to the down position after chambering a round. I know it's a new rifle, bolt will the bolt loosen after some use? Has anyone else experienced this? For me it's fine, but for a 11 yld doing positional shooting it's a choir....haha!! Several of the team will be competing with the precision rimfire's and we're want to be able to address this with them if it comes up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the pugs are that tight, it will loosen over time. You can contact Ruger and possibly send the gun back in for warranty work or you could get the lugs lapped

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Absolutely no advice........but I do want to say thanks for coaching and encouraging the younger folks to participate in organizing shooting sports. Its' great way to foster responsible gun handling and discipline.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have two of the ruger precision rimfires, 22mag and 22lr, both were initially a bit stiff but with use have smoothed out quite nicely.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I also have the Precision and had the same issue you mentioned but after 500+ rounds it has smoothed out nicely. Love this rifle!!

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,626 Posts
1.) I too want to take the time and thank you for helping new shooters and assisting our youth in organized safe shooting events.
2.) The bolt action will get smoother with time. Make sure it is not something you need to get Ruger CS involved with. Maybe have someone else look at it and than call customer service and see if anything can be done.
3.) There are many members here that may be able to shed some light on your issue. Ask questions and provide data-> someone will assist. Practice/Practice/Practice.
Good luck and be safe. Have a great day!

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Coat the lugs and recesses with fine valve grinding compound and lock and unlock the bolt a couple of hundred times.

This will polish the lugs and recesses and solve your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks for the great advice and the kind words of confidence about our youth team. I'm super excited about the team and hope they do great things. It's great seeing the kids get excited about shooting and competing instead of setting in front of a TV exercising their thumbs on a game remote.

I did break down the rifle and bolt, cleaned very well and smoothed and removed burs and rough spots and then polished to make it smooth. This did seem to help, but like you all suggested, it prolly just needs shot and broken in......we can definitely do that....LOL.

Thanks again for all your help
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ruger Precision Rimfire bedding screws

Hope someone can help?
I have burred the bedding screws and having trouble getting them out.
Does anyone know the actual imperial sizes so I can order come high tensile replacements and spline drive the others out?
Hope you can help?
Gazman

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Mine was like trying to torque a spark plug for the first few times moving the bolt. After a good cleaning and a couple hundred rounds it is now like butter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
RPR Rimfire action screws are 10-32 button head. The front screw is 3/4" long and the rear screw is 1 1/4" long. Both are fully threaded. I found the front one at ACE hardware, but not the rear. They did have a Phillips head 1 1/4" long that will get you by in a pinch, but will be harder to torque due to the bit slipping out of the head.

It is imperative that one uses the correct fitting hex driver bit or you will strip out the hex on these screws. I only had one bit that fit properly, 4 others were undersize and caused the stripping problem. Allen wrenches showed same problem with many being undersize.

I called Ruger and they sent a replacement set at no charge. Had to drill out the offending screw to remove the head. I used a hand powered drill, not electric.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the information mate.
I am from the U.K. and my importer said Ruger will take till May or get the two screws here. On order any way to be on safe side.
However now you have told me the sizes which is great thank u I will order some imperial sizes you mention and try and swap them out.
Hate the idea of not being blue to field strip regularly as the gun is lovely to shoot.
We have nearly a million active firearm owners and the sport is growing.
We are not allowed for self defence, just game and target.
Wish it was like America more, but hey ho...
I have a Smith and Wesson 15-22 PC and the Ruger and looking for a .223 bolt action (can’t have semi auto in any thing other than .22)
Cheers again in your help
G

·
Registered
432 Posts
RPR Rimfire action screws are 10-32 button head. The front screw is 3/4" long and the rear screw is 1 1/4" long. Both are fully threaded. I found the front one at ACE hardware, but not the rear. They did have a Phillips head 1 1/4" long that will get you by in a pinch, but will be harder to torque due to the bit slipping out of the head.

It is imperative that one uses the correct fitting hex driver bit or you will strip out the hex on these screws. I only had one bit that fit properly, 4 others were undersize and caused the stripping problem. Allen wrenches showed same problem with many being undersize.

I called Ruger and they sent a replacement set at no charge. Had to drill out the offending screw to remove the head. I used a hand powered drill, not electric.
Hope someone can help?
I have burred the bedding screws and having trouble getting them out.
Does anyone know the actual imperial sizes so I can order come high tensile replacements and spline drive the others out?
Hope you can help?
Gazman

I don't have a RPR (have wanted the wood stocked version for a couple of years but yet to find anyone who has one that will review it) so can not verify that the screw sizes are correct, however, if those are what you need you should be able to get them here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/91306a714

That is for the longer 1 1/4" one which could be cut down to get the 3/4" or you could order a package of each (and resell them to other unfortunate RPR owners?).

I was hoping to find a torx version but they are only available up to 1" in length.

Bruce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts