Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I purchased a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22 Mag. I threw a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it that I had picked up in some deal a few years ago. I went to my indoor range today which is at 25 yards. I was using a rather large D1 target (tombstone) approx 24"x36". I brought that target back after my first 5 shots...I had not even hit the paper. Another 5 shots, same result. I even checked the ammo box to make sure I wasn't using blanks.

I did determine my shots were going above the target. I adjusted the elevation to the max the scope would allow, which did at least get my shots on the paper, but still several inches high and a few inches right.

I assumed (hoped) that the scope was the problem, not the gun. I've done a little research tonight and saw that the rifle comes with a scope rail that has 30 MOA for shooting at longer distances. I don't think that is in the manual, but maybe I just missed it.

Most of my shooting now will be at 25 yards inside or 100 yards outdoors. I will get into longer distances later...which I why I bought the gun.

My questions are:
Do I need to buy the 0 MOA rail from Ruger? or should I look for a scope that will provide more elevation/windage adjustment to allow for the shorter distances if using the installed rail?

I assume that buying the new rail would allow the Tasco scope to function at the shorter distances? I have no idea what the maximum distance that scope would capable of. When I do start shooting at 300-500 yards I assume it will require a better scope?

I do a lot more shooting of hand guns and shotguns. Rifles with scopes...not so much.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
RugerFan1911,
First, please double check your specs or chambering or make sure you got the rifle that you think you got. RPR 22LR has the 30 MOA rail. The 22WMR should have a 0 MOA rail. I'd be surprised if your scope has enough elevation range to offset a 30 MOA rail and be able to zero at 100 yards. You can get a pretty good idea of the elevation range of your scope by turning the elevation dial through its entire range up and down, count the turns. I think your scope has 15 MOA per revolution of the elevation dial. If the factory zero was set in the middle of the elevation range, you'd need to wind the dial down 2 turns just to offset the 30 MOA rail. Not sure you can get there with that scope.

In answer to your questions - Don't buy a new rail from Ruger until you figure out what's going on here. A scope with a larger elevation range will allow zeroing at shorter distances when mounted on an inclined rail, not sure if that's your problem though. The Tasco scope should work at shorter distances on a 0 MOA rail. The 3-9x40 scope has enough magnification to work fine at 300-500 yards. Please post on your progress.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Do I need to buy the 0 MOA rail from Ruger?
If you plan on using your Tasco scope yes, you will need to get a 0MOA rail......I think they're $30 plus shipping.

should I look for a scope that will provide more elevation/windage adjustment to allow for the shorter distances if using the installed rail?
If you want to use the 30MOA rail you are going to need a scope with at least 65MOA of total vertical adjustment, personally I'd want at least 70MOA. Since you stated you're not to familiar with scopes here's a brief explanation as to the "why"..... If your scope has 65MOA of total vertical, you have 32.5MOA plus/minus from optical center. When a 30MOA rail is used the scope will need to to be dropped 30MOA to start leaving you an additional 2.5MOA of adjustment. Another thing to consider when using a scope, regardless of price/quality is, they preform their worst when they are pushed to to the extreme upper and extreme lower operating range.

I assume that buying the new rail would allow the Tasco scope to function at the shorter distances? I have no idea what the maximum distance that scope would capable of. When I do start shooting at 300-500 yards I assume it will require a better scope?
The 0MOA rail should do the trick for shorter distances with the Tasco scope. I would take the Tasco and run it all the way down to the bottom and then run it all the way to the top, counting the number of clicks. Divide that by two and run it back down to optical center. Doing this will also tell you the amount of total vertical MOA the scope has, (divide by four if it's 1/4" adjustments). You'll definitely need a better scope if you plan on running long though.

ETA; You should have a "0" rail on it unless it was a factory screw-up......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark 204, Thank you very much for reply! I just ordered the 0 MOA rail from Ruger. I can understand them putting the 30 MOA rails on their centerfire Precision rifles, but personally think the Precision rimfire's should come with the 0.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Mark 204, Thank you very much for reply! I just ordered the 0 MOA rail from Ruger. I can understand them putting the 30 MOA rails on their centerfire Precision rifles, but personally think the Precision rimfire's should come with the 0.
I agree it makes little sense to put a 30 rail on a .22, my 6.5 has a 20 rail. I could see a 10MOA rail, maybe. In any event you’ll have both should you decide to go with a better pice of glass. I do think 300yds is a realistic shot though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now I'm a bit confused...after ordering the 0 MOA rail from Ruger this afternoon, tonight I took off the scope to remove the rail and SURPRISE it says 0 MOA on it. Everything I've read and YouTube vids say the Precision Rimfire comes with a 30 MOA. Even Ruger literature says it. I'm hoping I can cancel my order tomorrow. Sure don't need two of them at 0.

Now it's go back to the range with the Tasco scope and maybe take along my Nikon Pro Staff Rimfire and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Well now I'm a bit confused...after ordering the 0 MOA rail from Ruger this afternoon, tonight I took off the scope to remove the rail and SURPRISE it says 0 MOA on it. Everything I've read and YouTube vids say the Precision Rimfire comes with a 30 MOA. Even Ruger literature says it.
You may have missed it in the spec sheet, but the .22 WMR does come with a 0 rail, the others come with a 30. I figured it was a factory screw up and you had a 30 rail.

Before you head back out I’d put the scope at optical zero for elevation and windage and start over.

As far as the rings goes.......are the rings for a 1913 pic rail, (which is what Ruger uses)? Weaver makes their own type of rail and rings which to the naked eye look the same as a 1913 rail but the specs are not the same. That said, Weaver rings will fit on a 1913 rail, but it is a sloppy fit........that could your problem, (just guessing though). Rings on a pic rail should be dropped in the slot and pushed forward before torquing. If all of that is correct the last thing to look at is the scope..........you said it was a cheap Tasco.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to cancel my order with Shop Ruger for the 0 MOA rail...since my gun came with it.
I took it back to the range today with the Tasco scope. As suggested I put it at Optical Zero and took a couple of shots at 25 yards. I gave a cheer when I actually HIT THE PAPER :) The shoots were about an inch low (of the X) and a couple of inches to the right. I few more clicks and every shot was hitting in the X ring.
Very pleased...ready to move on the longer distances now!
Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts