Ruger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
A standard 308 match load from way back when Lones Wigger was shooting Palma matches, 168 Sierra MK, 39.0 gr IMR 3031, case not specified( I used WW or Rem), and WW std lg rifle primer. COL was 2.800, shot one ragged hole(about .300" average) at 100 yds from my Ruger 77 Varmint with 10X scope off bench. Neck sized only.

When I shot 308 in service rifle, 41.5 gr of IMR 4895, 168 gr Sierra MK, usually military LC brass(di use some WW and Rem brass), WW large rifle std primer, with COL of 2.800" seemed to work better overall giving .375" groups at 100 yds out of my M1A Match rifle. These of course were full length sized for the auto loader. I also shot Lapua and Hornady 168 gr bullets with this load getting very similar results. BTW, this was shot off bench with post and peep sights.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi, I've been lurking for a while now, but now I've started reloading for my RPR in 308, I decided it was time to join.

I've had good success out to 800 yards shooting Hornady 168gr AMAX 308 Win projectiles out of Lapua brass (large CCI primer), 45.6 grains of AR2208 with an overall length of 2.835"/72.01mm (0.010"/0.254mm jump)
welcome kiwi much the same recipe as mine this side of the ditch. I had he pleasure of touring south island with wife just 2 weeks back a great country you got there & i was wondering if NZ had RPR.. I just got some Berger 168 pills as the nossler seemed to give me a rouge flyer out of 10 I not yet loaded or tested but will post once found the time as working lots of OT to pay for my sins :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
here some steel shots last month red plate 300 yards yellow 500 yards

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
RPR .308, 2nd gen. Working on the Fed Gold Match 175 clone load. Rain kinda ruined pictures, but it is what it is. Using LC 1x fired, neck sized only, SMK 175's over 41.65 grs IMR 4064. Firing 5 shot groups, covered the individual groups with a quarter, 100 yards. More than satisfactory for the guys I hang out with. OAL was 2.80.

Now, you're probably asking about the 41.65.....Well, I do a gross dump of 41.5 with a RCBS Chargemaster then transfer the powder pan to an Oahaus 5-10 which is dialed in to 41.65 (the .05 being half way between the 6 and 7 on the tenths roller) and trickle in the remainder.

Bear in mind that this load was developed specifically for my rifle. Your results may differ and probably will but it may suffice to give you a starting point.

Next up, SMK 168's over LC brass. Back in the pre-panic days, I bought A LOT of LC. I also load for my M1A's but that's a whole different story.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
RPR .308, 2nd gen. Working on the Fed Gold Match 175 clone load. Rain kinda ruined pictures, but it is what it is. Using LC 1x fired, neck sized only, SMK 175's over 41.65 grs IMR 4064. Firing 5 shot groups, covered the individual groups with a quarter, 100 yards. More than satisfactory for the guys I hang out with. OAL was 2.80.

Now, you're probably asking about the 41.65.....Well, I do a gross dump of 41.5 with a RCBS Chargemaster then transfer the powder pan to an Oahaus 5-10 which is dialed in to 41.65 (the .05 being half way between the 6 and 7 on the tenths roller) and trickle in the remainder.

Bear in mind that this load was developed specifically for my rifle. Your results may differ and probably will but it may suffice to give you a starting point.

Next up, SMK 168's over LC brass. Back in the pre-panic days, I bought A LOT of LC. I also load for my M1A's but that's a whole different story.
thanks reply NWDave im interested how your Gen 2 308 is compared to Gen 1 as like the idea of 24 inch barrel?

yesterday 300 yard shoot was ok i keep messing up a good score to average by dropping a 4 shot while shooting 5 and 6's,,, this is me and my loading skills deficiency. was using 45.5g 2208 COAL 72.4mm 168 nossler pills

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since I've got a established load for my rifle, before moving on to the 168's, I thought I'd do an test with my LC brass with 3 different primers that I have in stock. Federal 210M, CCI LR, and Winchester LR. Just want to see if I can get away with using something other than the now very precious Fed 210Ms. Load will still be 41.65 under SMK 175s.

A friend of mine, loaded some 41.65's and shot them in his 1st gen and had close to similar results. He's going to start at 41.5 going up to 41.8 to see if he can find the sweet spot.

As far as I can discern, this is the low node. Next will be something around 43.5 which purports to be the upper node. Middle node is somewhere around 42. I dunno, this node stuff is all new to me. Taking baby steps on this path.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well i mucked about for awhile with load recipe and my scores just went backwards due to my just guessing powder and pill seating & my shooting mind then got worried and wandered as well.. I went back to my proven load and last week scores came up over 500 yards..

lets just focus in on that 500 yard 5 shot group,, oh just ignore them random outliers others & my PIN flyer

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
still slow but its improvement over 300 yards a few weeks back

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
i deep cleaned my barrel some weeks back and scores went bit south for a 30 odd shots but came back over 300 yards yesterday..

traveling well to a perfect 300 yard 60 score,,, I got to shot 9 could hear my heart thumping & trigger hand got sweaty and i choked :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Was a perfect autumn day Down under at my club range plonking in pills with my Ruger precision 308 over 500yards

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
finally shot a 60 score at 300 yards..

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts