Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to buy this but deal-breakers: Can't shoot 5.56 and steel cased ammo not recommended. I got this straight from Ruger CS. Anyone know of a sturdier bolt action that will handle cheap ammo and shoot 556?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Mossberg MVP, mini-14, or an AR.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
There is no reason a .223 bolt rifle can't handle 5.56 or steel case ammo.

That said one of my dream guns is a Mossberg MVP with an ACOG and plenty of MagPul P-Mags.

I used P Mags in Iraq when they first came out, they just plain work.

The ability to use AR mags is huge, I've been shooting bolt rifles for years and as anyone who's a bolt action rifle fan can attest you can really whip aimed rounds out with a quality bolt gun with a workable smooth action, with a little bit of experience.

You lose the "rapid fire" capability of an AR but gain reliability, especially when the gun is dirty.

I used to shoot my Enfields and 03 Springfields so fast that people came over and wondered how the heck I was doing that with a bolt gun. Especially the Enfields, I had a Pro Mag 20 round mag for my No. 4 and I would pull the trigger with my ring finger and rapidly work the bolt with my palm, I could probably nearly match a semi auto for rate of fire for actual aimed, accurate fire on target (not just spraying) I don't know how short the bolt throw on the MVP is but it could have potential as a solid "SHTF" rifle.

It all depends on the gun, I could never shoot a Mosin Nagant nearly as fast.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've never shot 5.56 in mine, but for what it is worth, the predator is a sweet rifle. Mine is .223 with a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 scope and I could not be happier with it. For factory loads, it does very well with Remington 55gr Accutips, at least out to 300yds (furthest I've been able to shoot it yet).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wanted to buy this but deal-breakers: Can't shoot 5.56 and steel cased ammo not recommended. I got this straight from Ruger CS. Anyone know of a sturdier bolt action that will handle cheap ammo and shoot 556?
What do you suppose they would say if you asked about shooting reloaded ammo, no matter how experienced the reloader would be? It would be the same answer.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should have chambered 5.56 also! But they did throat it pretty long , which is similar in that pressure is reduced with factory ammo & the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressure, so similar actually.

The really nice thing about the R Predator is the 1-8 twist and the ample throat. The screwup was the Mag for the 223, it has a crazy long spacer to me about AR Mag length , so this spacer eliminates the ability to properly seat the 75 A-Max and other heavy Match bullets, defeating the purpose of the 1-8 & the chamber. But help is on the way.
Latest on Ruger American 223 mag mod - 24hourcampfire

BTW, I bought my Wife a MVP Predator, it is a shooter, and nice that it uses my AR Mags, but I am going to get a Predator for longer range Varmit and steel

·
Registered
528 Posts
You could have the chamber reamed to take the 5.56, thats the difference. And why shoot steel case ammo in a good gun. There is plenty of other cheap brass stuff around but I am sure it would handle a few rounds of steel cases.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
What do you suppose they would say if you asked about shooting reloaded ammo, no matter how experienced the reloader would be? It would be the same answer.
Hmmmm, good point.

I've put a few 5.56's through my Predator, no problems I could see. What I can say is the stuff I've tried shoots for poo, but there are no problems with extraction, or any other signs of pressure.

My Predator shoots one hole groups at 100yds from the bench, literally, and on a calm day, stays under an inch out to 300yds. Why bother with ammo that shoots 4" at 100yds?

·
223 deer slayer
1,857 Posts
WOW, a bunch of bad info in here.

No one buys a bolt gun to shoot cheap ammo. It is meant to be a precision shooting gun, something you won't get from milsurp or cheap steel cased ammo. Because of this, it has a 223 chamber, not a 556 chamber.

Its not ruger being some politically correctness, its because it has a 223 chamber, not a 5.56 chamber. The mini14 has a 5.56 chamber.

anyone that doesn't know the difference in chambers needs to read up on "leade" and not offer any more bad advice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hmmmm, good point.

I've put a few 5.56's through my Predator, no problems I could see. What I can say is the stuff I've tried shoots for poo, but there are no problems with extraction, or any other signs of pressure.

My Predator shoots one hole groups at 100yds from the bench, literally, and on a calm day, stays under an inch out to 300yds. Why bother with ammo that shoots 4" at 100yds?
Well, it's a point & not bad info, just info! I did not advise anyone to do anything either, just stating some findings. BTW, glad your rifle is a tackdriver.

The difference in chambers is 2 things, Chamber pressure & throat & both are easy to deal with and check.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lets take a look at this chamber info, BTW the external dimensions of the case is the same, but the leade in the chamber is not.

Here is a good article on the 223 & 5.56x45 & 223AI, the differences, etc.
223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

For those who won't take the time to read the complete article, here are relevant statements on the 223 vs 5.56
" While the external cartridge dimensions are essentially the same, the 223 Remington is built to SAAMI specs., rated to 50,000 CUP max pressure and normally have a shorter throat. The 5.56x45 is built to NATO specs, rated to 60,000 CUP max pressure and has a longer throat, optimized to shoot long bullets. THAT said, there are various 223 Match Chambers, including the Wylde chamber, that feature longer throats.

And they said "Should YOU be worried about shooting 5.56x45 ammo in a 223 Remington, THE ANSWER REALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR CHAMBER.

Well, now, hmmm! Of course one has to measure the chamber & plenty of gauges are available & now the design capabilities of your rifle even if it has a long throat.

But it is not a special figure 8 chamber with switchbacks and U turns.

Anyway, I have the 223 chamber, the Wylde & the 5.56 in different rifles. Somebody said something about advise, well No way would I shoot 5.56 in my Contender barrel for example, it has a short throat & not overly strong. And don't assume your chamber to be the exact same as another identical model and spec rifle , sometimes they aren't.

But in the Ruger Am. Predators I have heard about so far, the throat has been ample & the rifle is build very strong, esp. if compared with a MIni and such. But measure yours when you get it.

As far as steel cased stuff, I don't know why bolt guns are singled out for not using that stuff, I have a RRA Varmiter (Wylde Ch) that I would not shoot that stuff in.

Anyway, to the OP, just do your research & I look forward to shooting 75 A-Max in mine when it arrives. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts

No one buys a bolt gun to shoot cheap ammo. It is meant to be a precision shooting gun, something you won't get from milsurp or cheap steel cased ammo. Because of this, it has a 223 chamber, not a 556 chamber.

Its not ruger being some politically correctness, its because it has a 223 chamber, not a 5.56 chamber. The mini14 has a 5.56 chamber.

anyone that doesn't know the difference in chambers needs to read up on "leade" and not offer any more bad advice.
My Mini's say .223 :eek:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I used to shoot steel ammo out of my Ruger MK II with no problems other than horrible accuracy. I found that Win WB .223 shot very well, cost a bit more, but was worth it to regularly hit the target.

I can't see getting a RAR P and then shooting steel cases ammo working out very well other than for just being a loud noise maker. I know some other folks probably had different experiences, but it was a short lived experiment for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Yeah, I would have to agree. Ruger has no problem informing customers that the Mini-14 can shoot 5.56, if the predator could they would tell you. I would not try 5.56 in the Predator. However, that being said at this point in the development of .223/5.56 they should have just chambered it in .223 Wylde and be done with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't know about that. The only two MVPs I've shot were owned by others and they both had numerous feed issues. Their owners have also experienced the same thing, and one has since sold his. Also in both rifles, the bolts did not cycle well and had a tremendously sloppy fit when pulled fully rearward.

So, I cannot say that to my mind (from my experience) the MVP is yet exactly a success story. Whereas my Hawkeye predator most certainly is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know about that. The only two MVPs I've shot were owned by others and they both had numerous feed issues. Their owners have also experienced the same thing, and one has since sold his. Also in both rifles, the bolts did not cycle well and had a tremendously sloppy fit when pulled fully rearward.

So, I cannot say that to my mind (from my experience) the MVP is yet exactly a success story. Whereas my Hawkeye predator most certainly is.
I have heard that myself, that they had some issues when the rifles were first introduced but I thought they had most of that worked out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts