Ruger Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I live day to day and buy no green bananas. Fact is, life is fragile and something you become aware of when you get on the wrong side of 70 like me. I'm on this forum to answer probing questions such as yours.:)
Not buying it. It ain't over til' it's over. I have/had a ton of health issues going on (that I keep beating) and just got forced into early retirement from a nasty work related injury from two years ago. Improvise Adapt Overcome. I live everyday to it's fullest. Might be a little slower and have to do things a little different getting them done now. But I'm not giving up and I'm living life to its fullest all the way to the end. Some body will eat those green bananas.:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, many of us don't reload for any number of good reasons
I can't think of a single reason -good, bad, or otherwise- that a person who shoots with any degree of volume could have for not handloading and subsequently re-loading the ammo they shoot

I'm not into match shooting so I don't care if I can't make ragged holes.
Lots of recreational shooters elect to not engage in formal target competitions but that doesn't dampen their desire to actually hit what they aim at when they do shoot. If the objective in recreational shooting is something other than hitting what one aims at, I'm at a loss to comprehend what that objective might be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
... I run steel-case through my scoped SKS and get 2-inch groups at 100 yards. ...
if that makes ya happy, then case closed, yer good to go with commercial ammo. though i'm at a loss to understand what pleasure you derive from 2moa shooting, or what function it provides ya? but hey, to each their own! :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not buying it. It ain't over til' it's over. I have/had a ton of health issues going on (that I keep beating) and just got forced into early retirement from a nasty work related injury from two years ago. Improvise Adapt Overcome. I live everyday to it's fullest. Might be a little slower and have to do things a little different getting them done now. But I'm not giving up and I'm living life to its fullest all the way to the end. Some body will eat those green bananas.:D
Living every day like it will be your last, but not expecting that!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
if that makes ya happy, then case closed, yer good to go with commercial ammo. though i'm at a loss to understand what pleasure you derive from 2moa shooting, or what function it provides ya? but hey, to each their own! :D
As you get older and lose some abilities, your expectations drop and you learn to be content with the hand you're dealt. Sure, I'd like to be a sharpshooter but at my age I'll settle for 2 inches and now and then get bullseyes. That's good enough for me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yep, I have a new RAR Ranch chambered in 5.56, and it shoots steel cased cheap 5.56 ammo just fine, although not as accurately as it shoots american made brass cased .223.

The "Ranch" model is the answer to your question.

It's the one in the middle...

Gun Firearm Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well this is an old thread but brought back ups at just the right time. I just picked up a predator in 223. Have not shot it yet but will try to get out tomorrow. Are there any other options besides the bob sled for single loading? An empty magazine holds the bolt back and I want to load longer loads than the magazine will take.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well this is an old thread but brought back ups at just the right time. I just picked up a predator in 223. Have not shot it yet but will try to get out tomorrow. Are there any other options besides the bob sled for single loading? An empty magazine holds the bolt back and I want to load longer loads than the magazine will take.
if you have the new one that takes AR magazines then the bobsled is your only option but man them things are pricey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking about gettin .223 American Predator too. Is there any other decent .223 rifles that I should look into? My go-to gun store is going to get a lot of new rifles soon, at least I was told so last time while restocking ammo.
FYI, mostly planning to use for deer/elk hunt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thinking about gettin .223 American Predator too. Is there any other decent .223 rifles that I should look into? My go-to gun store is going to get a lot of new rifles soon, at least I was told so last time while restocking ammo.
FYI, mostly planning to use for deer/elk hunt.
A .223 for deer or elk??? I might consider something with a bit more power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hm, might be. Should be fine for deer I'd assume, but might need something more powerful for elk. Pretty new to this, so any advice is welcome!
223 is typically used more as a varmint round... coyotes, wild pigs, small deer, etc. Some consider it inhumane to hunt deer (or anything larger) with 223 because it generally isn't a quick death.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts