Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the lookout for a bolt action .308 with open sights for deep woods Whitetail hunting. I liked the RSIs but they are very hard to find now. I don't like the Scout or the regular compact because of their very short barrel. I think 20" would be just about what I need. This would be a woods gun only - I have others for longer range shooting. Does anyone on here have one of these in .308 and, if so, comments?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had one in 338RCM and absolutely loved it! Just a wonderful, handy rifle.

I'd imagine that one in. 308 would be the veritable cat's meow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been on the lookout for a bolt action .308 with open sights for deep woods Whitetail hunting. I liked the RSIs but they are very hard to find now. I don't like the Scout or the regular compact because of their very short barrel. I think 20" would be just about what I need. This would be a woods gun only - I have others for longer range shooting. Does anyone on here have one of these in .308 and, if so, comments?
I do - it's new in box. It was sent to me by Ruger to replace my defective 308 RSI. I haven't shot it but did put a scope on it. Want to buy it? Send me a PM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scope repeatability?

Well, I pulled the plug on one and really do like it. It handles great. In fact, so good I'm starting to re-think the scope idea. I have other scoped rifles but I really like the way this one handles. I'll be in the deep woods opening weekend and then later in the year I have a western Oklahoma hunt. Since it came with rings I'm thinking of putting a 2-7x on it for that hunt. Does anyone have any experience with taking a scope on and off a Ruger? I'm wondering about the repeatability of the scope accuracy wise. I've had good luck with Leupold QD rings and Weaver rings doing this. Just wondering how the Ruger rings would do. I would still use the iron sights in the woods the majority of time but it would be nice to be able to confidently attach the scope and go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody responded about the repeatability of of removing and then putting the scope back on so I'll find out in a few days if it works. I have a scope on the way. One of my most favorite scopes over the years was a Leupold M8 3x. I used that to bring down many an Elk in the black timber and Deer in the deep woods. A recent close substitute is the FX2 compact 2.5x but I never liked it as well because of the smaller size. I recently found out Leupold is making (non-cataloged) the FX2 3x20 and I have one of those on the way. It's slightly more powerful than the old M8 3x but that's no big deal as the 4x is also a favorite of mine. My long range guns all carry a 6x42.

When it gets here I'll take it to the range and put it on and off a couple of times to see if the zero holds. Love playing with new toys.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am fired up to get one of these soon. I really like compact .308's. Look forward to a full write up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Quite like mine.
Bought it because of the length & sights, it'll never wear glass.
Once the tiny front bead was replaced with a visible blade it's a great package.
Denis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Leupold FXII 3x is gonna ride in my day pack most of the time as I too like the rifles length and sights. What did you replace the front bead with?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
A REAL sight. :)
Whiteline blade from XS. Mate's perfectly with the rear notch.

I can't deal with Ruger's tiny beads anymore.
Denis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. I've used XS (formerly AO) for years on different guns. They even used a Rem 141 of mine to work up a prototype and didn't charge me for it. I would go in their shop frequently when I lived in Grapevine some years ago. I had thought their front sight would be too thick for the Ruger rear. I'll check it out. I actually thought of getting one of their rear sights till I found out it had to be drilled and tapped on the Ruger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a RCM 308 with a Leupold 2X7 scope. I've never removed it to use the open sights but I did sight in with open sights before I mounted the Leupold. It is a wonderful rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.