Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help with identification. I recently purchased a 12 ga. Red Label at a
estate auction. Came in a hard green Ducks Unlimited box, leather trimmed, green felt lined.
Engraved with cattails and a gold duck in flight, signed by Daniel Smith. Daniel Smith is a wild life artist of some fame that lives in Bozeman, Mt. I contacted him and he doesn't know how many were made. Contacted the historical dept at Ruger and all they could tell me was that it was listed as a Cat No.KRL1227, which is a standard 12 ga. Red Label and shipped it in Jul,88. I contacted Ducks Unlimited and haven't heard from them
Have never seen one like it or even a picture of one and can't find any info in my reference
materiel.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The curse(or stir-crazy) of being quarinteened...
I found this link on a net search...hope it helps. Much reading towards the middle says about some production figures in general:

http://www.herosarms.com/DU.htm

·
Registered
710 Posts
Chinook, sounds like one that was "made up" for one of their "dinners" or in limited quantity..... you say "records stated it shipped in 1988" well that was the year after 'DU's 50th anniversary (1987) and the gun of the year then and for the next few years was the Browning A-5....this is from my 'DU' information I have.....
the only other one from back in that 'era' was in 1984, there was a "Duck Stamp Anniversary" model in 12 ga,came in an "Italian leather trunk and was engraved and nickel finish on the receiver,by Ken Hurst, in conjuction with the Ruger Co................some over the years confuse this with a 'DU" gun, and it is NOT, though again, some local "dinners" did get their hands on these guns and did 'raffle' them off....sounds like a nice gun, wish you had a few pictures......did Daniel Smith say he did the engraving, or just was the 'artisit' whose work was 'copied/used' for the engraving and also is the engraving signed anywhere on the gun???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts