Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new model Red Label when they first came out about 2 years ago. I use it for skeet and sporting clays and had a ton of rounds through it. The bottom ejector would let shells slip below it if you weren't careful. I called Ruger, they sent me a shipping label. It's now about a week later and I received a phone call stating they can't repair it, so they are sending me a brand new one. I am almost happy to have a problem to be treated so well. The same day I shipped a SW victory back for light strikes, they sent me a shipping label too. I haven't heard anything about it as of yet. A couple years ago, I had to turn in my man card when I couldn't reassemble a Blackhawk :) Ruger paid for shipping both ways and said no problem, thanks for calling.

IMHO Ruger has the best customer service period !!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. My new Red Label showed up at my LGS. They gave me a new set of chokes, a case and included the 2 skeet chokes I left in the gun when I sent it back. They even mailed back the white bead I had installed. So now I have 2 of everything. I have another shotgun that fits in it nice. That's above and behind what I expected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been thinking of buying a Ruger Red Label O/U 12 Ga for double trap and single trap. Your thoughts and comments would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Red Label is on my short list of O/U's I'd like to get. Recently I read on another forum that they will stop servicing/having parts for them soon. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Thx,
Tony

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Below is from Ruger's website:

"There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Red Label Shotguns (serial # beginning with "400-" or "410-")
Trap Shotgun
Red Label Wood Side
Gold Label Shotgun"

The 400 and 410 prefix guns are the older original RL so there may be some support still for the newer model that was produced for a couple of years. But I would certainly call to discuss before assuming anything. It stands to reason that all product support will eventually cease as parts dry up.

I love my RLs and there are several in our family but the lack of CS support is something to consider when shopping for a decent O/U. I found my 12 ga w/English stock used for $750 and paid $950 for my son's like new 20 ga so there are some good values to be found in the used RL market. Once the price starts drifting to $1200+ my interest would shift to Browning or Beretta.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When they first came out, I really wanted one - bad. I had a Ruger rifle and handguns and the RL was getting some great write-ups. I checked one out and it didn't fit me well at all. I wanted one primarily for skeet shooting. I went with the Browning Citori instead. 36 years later, I still have that well worn Browning O/U (plus a few others) and I am now so thankful that that RL didn't fit me. I've been so happy with my Brownings, that have all been trouble-free. The Beretta is a good gun too, but like the RL, they don't fit me either. There are so many Browning Citoris produced that I know that there will always be parts available in my lifetime, if they ever need some repair. For anyone looking for a decent O/U, the quest should start out with Browning or Beretta as the starting point and if your quest stopped there, you would be in great shape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Below is from Ruger's website:

"There are no parts and no service available for the below discontinued products that were produced in Newport, NH.

Red Label Shotguns (serial # beginning with "400-" or "410-")
Trap Shotgun
Red Label Wood Side
Gold Label Shotgun"

The 400 and 410 prefix guns are the older original RL so there may be some support still for the newer model that was produced for a couple of years. But I would certainly call to discuss before assuming anything. It stands to reason that all product support will eventually cease as parts dry up.

I love my RLs and there are several in our family but the lack of CS support is something to consider when shopping for a decent O/U. I found my 12 ga w/English stock used for $750 and paid $950 for my son's like new 20 ga so there are some good values to be found in the used RL market. Once the price starts drifting to $1200+ my interest would shift to Browning or Beretta.

Yeah, most decent ones I've been seeing are $1200 plus. Spotted a few in the $900-1000 range but have gone quickly.

I'm considering one of the B's but really don't want to spend that much. I know I'm not going to be able to shoot that often till my son gets a little older. How about the CZ O/U's? The Red Head looks nice.... of course I have to get one in my hands first to see how it feels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a River Red Label 12 gauge with a problem. When you shoot both shells and open to reload it automatically puts the gun on safety. Its my understanding that the gun is designed to do which isn't a bad idea........but occasionally when you shoot the first shell it sometimes goes to safety on and you have to push the selector to fire to shoot the second shell. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so what is the fix. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
McKinley67,

Intermittent automatic safety application between shots is a known issue with early Red Labels. My fixed choke 20-gauge suffered from it as well. As others have stated, I have found Ruger's customer service to be top notch. It's been a number of years since I sent mine back for repair, so I'm not sure if they currently offer service on the early guns. Contact them by phone or online and they will certainly let you know.

Good luck!

fanuke

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Ruger Service - Very Good

Parts availability for older Red Labels - probably getting thin but these guns rarely break.

McKinley67 - intermittent application of the safety during recoil is a problem with many double barrel shotguns. Ruger can correct that problem and I'd let them do it. On other makes that don't enjoy that great factory service, the "fix" is two fold. 1. the automatic feature is disabled so the safety becomes manual and 2. a stronger detent spring is installed to help hold that manual safety in the selected position.

I know of an early production Red Label (fixed chokes, blued receiver, very early production) that has tens upon tens of thousands of rounds shot through it. It is still going strong. The Red Label is an excellent shotgun.

·
One Star
9,733 Posts
Ruger service is good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts