Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ya'll
I retired from a career in law enforcement in December and as per policy was allowed to keep the firearms issued to me.
One was a 1960 Colt Detective Special in 8-9 condition.
I was able to trade it straight across for a like condition Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag with the 7.5" barrel. This is the 5001 model.
I also had a Ruger Mini-14 in great condition that I had bought from a friend. I was able to trade that straight across for a 2nd model Ruger 44 Carbine in good condition. This is the tube loaded model.
So next to nothing out of my pocket for two 44 magnum weapons.
Range trip showed both functioned fine. I shot Federal 44 Mag 240 Gr. JHP.
The Carbine shot minute of fist at 100 yards.
The Redhawk had the rear sight cranked all the way to the right so it shot to the right at 25 yards. I didn't have a allen wrench with me so I didn't mess with it at the range.
The Carbine had a comfortable manageable kick to it.
The Redhawk had a very authoritative kick/recoil to it that was manageable. The Pachmayr grips absorbed a lot of the recoil.
All in all very pleased with the trades.
I already had 44 Mag dies so a trip to the local gun store got me some lead 240 Gr. SWC and a pound of Bullseye. I loaded a bunch of 7.0 grains of Bullseye under the 240 Gr. LSWC which should be at 1000 fps.
Bought a punch pin set and took the Ruger Carbine apart. Gas block was clean as in no leading. Really not a lot of use for a 50 year old rifle.
Same with the Redhawk. Cleaned it up, barrel and cylinders were clear, no leading and the forcing cone area looked great. The end of the cylinders came clean with little effort so there wasn't years of gunk built up on it.

Whats Yall's favorite loads for the Redhawk and the Carbine?

·
Registered
571 Posts
that is a nice combo that should serve you well .... years ago I owned a Ruger 44 Carbine and it is the firearm that I most regret not keeping .... our Redhawk is shown below, it has to be a close relative of yours .... the grips appear to be the same .... the Aimpoint H-1 red dot has proven to work well .... what can't be seen is the addition of an aftermarket spring kit ... the biggest modification has been having it Mag-Na-Ported .... doing so changed the dynamics of the barrel jump and direction of recoil .... fired from laying on a sandbag, the barrel will not life more than a fraction of a inch .... that makes it easier/quicker to get off a second shot .... in addition it lessens and redirects the recoil straight back .... our hunting load is 23.8 grains of W296 pushing a 240 grain Nosler JHP .... it has proven to be effective and accurate

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Congratulations on that combo. Great set up. I have been eyeing a Ruger Dear Slayer and thinking about getting one.
Right now I am loading Missouri Bullet Company 240gn LRNFP (I think they call it the Smasher) and IMR4227 & some with Unique. I really like the IMR4227 in the rifles but leaves some un-burnt powder in the revolver (very Little) the unique just a little dirty but goes a lot further.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
That's a great combo. I would have made those trades too. Congrats on retirement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts