Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this nice Ruger RedHawk .44 magnum Serial# 500-56189 this summer with hopes of hunting deer. The recoil turns out to be very comfortable with more than 3# weight and a 7-1/2" barrel, it just snaps up. The problem is, I can't get a group better than about 3" at 25 yards, and with the rear sight up about as high as I can, it still groups about 6" low. I have been shooting PNP 180 gr hollow points that are fairly reasonable cost and a few hornady LeveRolutions that a friend who has the same gun recommended. If I cannot do better than this, there will be no deer hunting.

Any suggestions?
I am 61 and shoot good groups with a rifle and scope, but don't use open sights on rifles for years.
I have considered the fiber optic front sight from Ruger for about $40?
Money is spent carefully in this economy, so I don't want to buy anything that doesn't work out, and I don't have a spare $300.
I was not partial to a Red Dot on my muzzle loader, but it may be right for this?
A scope, but I am concerned about limited field of view, recoil, etc? and the size and holsterability?
One of those nice small holographic sight would be nice, but $300?
It is drilled and tapped for mounts, or grooved, but that could be done by a gunsmith, I guess.
I am also curious about the age of the gun Serial# 500-56189?

·
Super Moderator
21,090 Posts
There are two fairly quick things you can do either lower the front sight or go to a heavier bullet or both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I will try both, one at a time.
I was thinking about working on the sight, too.
And different bullet weights, ammo brands.
I will not hunt with it until I feel comfortable that I can take a deer at a known distance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts