Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! New to the forum here. I have been looking and looking for a Redhawk 44mag with 4.2" barrel and finally found one at a local gun shop. They have a used one for $550 which is in pretty good condition but no box or anything. They also have a new one for $780. Any suggestions? Are both of them good prices? I was leaning toward the used one formthe cheaper price unless the new one is still a good price i might just go with that one. Super excited! It will go great with my Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel 44mag!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would have zero issues with buying a used one that looked to be in good shape. It's your decision. And welcome, you should stop by the new users forum and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The Redhawk is a fine weapon. They are heavy, but so is the recoil on a full powered 44 round. you wont regret it... the Redhawk is well constructed Ruger classic.

I would grab the used. That seems to be a fair price, but it never hurts to offer less. The worst they can do is say no.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
You can look up the serial number on Ruger's website.

Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History

This will tell you the year by placing your serial number in the appropriate range of numbers.

And I would tend to save the money and buy used. They're indestructable, easily maintained and refinished and it's likely it hasn't seen too many rounds through it. Ultimately your decision though. Some folks only want brand new guns.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I might go with the used as well. The reason it might be up for sale in the first place is that the original owner was not expecting the recoil with full on .44 magnum loads. The 4.2" bbl and Hogue bantam grips make it quite a handful. You may find out that there are very few rounds put through the gun. Ask if they know any of the history, then offer a decent price. What have you got to lose?

Also, welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Springfield.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Redhawk for a good price (which $550 is), so long as everything on it is tight, the timing is fine, and the forcing cone/barrel interior looks good.

As has been posted, it probably hasn't been fired a whole lot. The recoil and muzzle flash with full pressure .44 magnum loads on a short-barrelled revolver can be pretty "exciting".

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
The odds of that used Redhawk having any sort of issues are very low and, given how darn hard the 4.2" has been to find, I'd jump on the used one. Just be sure to give it a good once over before you buy, same as when buying any used gun.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
$550 is a great price for that used 4.2", it won't last long at that price. The 4" .44 Mag and .45 Colt Redhawks are in high demand and there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there. I paid about $500 for my used 4.2" .44 Redhawk and I nearly tore my pants getting my wallet out when I saw it:)

$550 would be a fair price for a decent used 7.5" Redhawk, let alone a 4".........

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The used one is a great price, but.... I now only have one "used" gun in my collection a model 60 Smith. My Dealer, a gunsmith, took a very close eye on it and I finished the process with a swap of internal springs and polishing of internal parts. It now cycles like a champ and has a very nice double and single action pull. ALL of my other guns (mainly Rugers) are brand new as well as a new NAA 22 mag. I used to shoot cowboy action in SASS and have bought and traded with those folk. The chance of finding a gun that has not been tinkered with (by amateur's by the way) is pretty close to zero. I'd feel much better with the new one and a Ruger warranty. Smithy.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
I have been looking for one for a while and have only seen them in the catalog. I would be tempted to buy both.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I purchased mine brand-new in 96 for $380. At the time the 5.5 was the shortest DA 44 Ruger had in production. If they had offered the 4", I would have jumped all over it. The only thing I don't like about the 4"... it doesn't have the interchangeable front sight. We have a foot of snow and the option to quickly install a black sight is real handy. That being said I would still prefer the 4" (or both if I could afford it :)).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A simple inspection will tell you if it's been kitchen table gunsmithed....look for a too light "cap gun" like trigger pull, which will tell you if the spring has been clipped. Check for endshake and cracks in the forcing cone from insane light bullet hand loads, but like was said it likely hasn't been abused. Most people who want to play with dinosaur killer hand loads buy 7.5" Redhawks or Super Redhawks. The 4" Redhawk was marketed more as a sidearm for hunters or a woods defense piece.

The earlier production 4" Redhawks have the pinned extractor, later models have the newer " box " extractor and may now have the MIM trigger. Mine is an earlier production model and must have seen some heavy loads, it needed an endshake bearing and the cylinder release screw was bent.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I usually buy new, but if it's in good nick, it should be good to go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If it isn't too late, check for pitting in the barrel. Other than that, as stated above, they are indestructible!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I picked up a 4.2" back in April. It was new and the price was $760 so I would say the new price is in line. Make all the checks that have been suggested and if the used one is tight go for it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

This is mine, I just added camo Pachmayr grips to it and it's a great shooter:)

I had wood grip panels on it but after a few cylinders of full power .44 Mags, recoil got kind of irritating.:cool:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like a good price. They are just not available up here, but generally a used redhawk in no special condition or edition runs about $600 around here. New has gone up a hundred bucks over the last year... Indeed.
The 4" is a find. They are just too scarce. It is a great package. Maybe this would not have sold back in the 90's. Maybe the attention to the shorter, more packable guns opens up the market to this option.
My best and most valuable guns are used. Purchased with caution and some knowledge, a used Redhawk would not be a problem for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts