Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there were any owners out there who would share their thought on this gun. I find it very interesting i have just not seen many people post about it. I read a short book from amazon. I was also looking to see what kind of accuracy people were getting out of 45acp. thanks for the help.

Josh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think I have read most of those links. some good info but most of what i have seen is people talking about the release of it. I was hoping there would be a couple owners around.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm picking mine up at my dealer as soon as I can get there:)

This was one of those guns I knew I would own as soon as I saw it.....kind of like my beloved Kodiak .44.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I don't own the 45Colt/45ACP convertible version but I have one each of the 4" versions in 45 Colt and 44 mag. Wonderful revolvers.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Finally getting my Kodiak was a joyous day, and the first time shooting it, I knew I made the right choice:)

I love the Redhawk with the round butt grip, so much so, that I traded my 4" .44 Redhawk toward the .45 ACP-LC Redhawk. It just seemed redundant to have two .44 Redhawks with shorter barrels, when I favored the Kodiak so much more. The performance advantage of the 4" vs. the 2.75" is so insignifigant, and the Kodiak handles so much better. I will use it as a .44 Special shooter, and save the Mags for my Alaskan.

Since I was a kid I wanted a 1917 S&W .45, but this Redhawk should fill the bill as Ruger's "version" of it:) Doubt that I'll still want a 1917 now.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If that was my book you read from Amazon, it had quite a bit of useful info in it.
I've asked for specific ACP accuracy info from other owners on both Ruger forums, but it's been tough getting any. :)
Denis

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
When I get mine I'll post an unbiased range report on the .45 ACP accuracy of the Redhawk.......

I don't expect to win at Camp Perry with it, but "combat accuracy" with the .45 ACP would be fine........just being able to shoot .45 ACP through a Redhawk was enough for me to want to pay the price of admission on this one........my original plan was to find a 7.5" .45LC Redhawk and get it cut for clips, but then Ruger offered this one, ready to go out of the box and with the round butt grip I like.

I did the same thing with my 9mm Blackhawk , posted a detailed post about the "real" accuracy of 9mm through the Blackhawk......and maybe 3 people seemed to actually care, so it seems some of us are in the small club of people who care about pistol calibers in revolvers.......

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
By "range report", it'd be great if you could sit down & do some serious accuracy testing off a rest at 25 yards.
Best commentary I've been able to get has been "Shoots good", with no measured numbers to define "good". :)

My two samples were going as high as 8-9 inches with some ACP loads.
Denis

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that was my book you read from Amazon, it had quite a bit of useful info in it.
I've asked for specific ACP accuracy info from other owners on both Ruger forums, but it's been tough getting any. :)
Denis
I believe it was. I really like the idea what you did with it. making something that very informative for such a small price. Im between this gun and a match champion. I was somewhat concurred after reading the results you got with the 45acp but it did seem somewhat brand specific.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If the moderators will allow:

The idea of those Kindles is unlimited room to explore the subject matter as far as I want, which I can't do in print format, and without any editorial constraints.

They're intended to be informative & priced to be 20-30% of what a full gunmag issue would be, without including ads or any other subject matter a reader isn't interested in.

In this case, I had two samples of the new Red, and I doubt you'll find a more comprehensive review anywhere.

Buy or don't, I don't get rich off the things. :)
Just advising if you want to get an in-depth picture of the new Red, that's it.

The model is interesting enough for me to buy the second sample from Ruger & it goes off to C&S next week for some custom work.

It's a neat idea & configuration, just picky with ACPs.
Denis

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what type of custom work will you be doing? I would like to have some trigger work done based on what I have read.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Since it'll be a print write-up next Spring, I can't give away the entire plot here, but generally action work & some weight trimming.
Denis

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
should be very nice when its all finished up. do you have much experience with the match champion? thanks again for taking the time with your books, they are very enjoyable.

·
Banned
308 Posts
When I get mine I'll post an unbiased range report on the .45 ACP accuracy of the Redhawk.......

I don't expect to win at Camp Perry with it, but "combat accuracy" with the .45 ACP would be fine........just being able to shoot .45 ACP through a Redhawk was enough for me to want to pay the price of admission on this one........my original plan was to find a 7.5" .45LC Redhawk and get it cut for clips, but then Ruger offered this one, ready to go out of the box and with the round butt grip I like.

I did the same thing with my 9mm Blackhawk , posted a detailed post about the "real" accuracy of 9mm through the Blackhawk......and maybe 3 people seemed to actually care, so it seems some of us are in the small club of people who care about pistol calibers in revolvers.......
I would be interested in hearing about the cylinder chamber throat diameter measurements, and especially any variance between the chambers.

My preference for handguns is .45 caliber and I load .45 Colt and .45 ACP and .454.

It's nice to have a gun that bridges or ties together the various .45 cartridges, like the Super RedHawk for .45C and .454 CA, and the Blackhawk convertible and Governor for .45C and .45 ACP.

Radio George

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Worked with the early fixed-sight MC.
Almost kept it, would have had I not already had four GPs. :)

Mag,
The first Red sample had slightly larger throats than the second.
The second shot ACP better.

Denis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts