Ruger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 4" in .45 Colt. Great gun. Personally, anything longer that about 6.5" and I would just as soon have a 16" barreled carbine. Just doen't make any sense to me to have a handgun that long.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
A little caution to them that say the 45 colt can do anything a 44 mag can do: BE CAREFUL. Duplicating the energy can hurt your gun and maybe you too. The issue is not the gun but the brass. 45 colt brass is quite a bit lighter than 44 mag brass. The 44 mag brass is engineered to manage the pressures. The 45 colt brass is thinner and not designed to contain the higher pressures. For sure the 45 colt is a great round, but it is not a 44 mag. Secondly, if you like to reload, uploading the 45 colt can damage brass. The walls can crack and the primer pockets can be damaged so that the pocket leaks.
**This is anecdotal advice, not a documented findings based on thousands of events***

·
Banned
211 Posts
I have a 4" .44 Magnum Redhawk, and I love it. I prefer the Pachmayr Presentations on this gun.

As for the .44 vs. .45, it all depends on you and your needs.

I like .44's because I don't handload and I cen go into any sporting goods or small gun shop around my area and find some kind of .44 Magnum, since handgun hunting is big around here. IF I can find .45 LC factory ammo, it's always the downloaded Cowboy ammo. Ordering ammo online, .44 Mag is the same price or lower as any .45 LC.

The only reason I want a 4" .45 LC Redhawk is so I can have Pinnacle convert it to .45 ACP.:) When I get that gun, I doubt it will ever see a round of Long Colt once I have the cylinder cut for moonclips.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The issue is not the gun but the brass. 45 colt brass is quite a bit lighter than 44 mag brass. The 44 mag brass is engineered to manage the pressures. The 45 colt brass is thinner and not designed to contain the higher pressures. For sure the 45 colt is a great round, but it is not a 44 mag. Secondly, if you like to reload, uploading the 45 colt can damage brass. The walls can crack and the primer pockets can be damaged so that the pocket leaks.
Depends on who makes it. Starline manufacturers and tests its .45 Colt brass to .44 Mag strength specs, so with that brass, uploaders should be good to go. Haven't tried the R-P brass with Magnum-style loads just yet (project for later).

For non-handloaders, .44 Magnum is probably the better way to go. Like ServiceSix says, .44M ammo is rather easier to find, and often a little less expensive, than SAAMI-spec .45 Colt ammo. The hotter .45 Colt loads (e. g. Buffalo Bore) are much more expensive. But for the handloader...heck, just pick one and have fun. Or better yet, pick both--it's only money. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The 44 is far superior to a non-reloader. The 45 is old and requires some reloading experience to achieve 44 power. Do you want a greenhorn's blood on your hands?

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have reloaded 45 colt for years. At ruger blackhawk only levels I get 3-4 reloads. At Buffalo Bore or similar levels I get 1-2 reloads. I have use starline or federal brass instead of Winchester or Remington, the win or rem do not hold up as long. I wish ruger still made blued redhawks they look great. I have a 51/2 45 colt redhawk and a 41 mag redhawk in 71/2. I always carry a gun like that in a Bialchi shoulder holster and never have a problem with handiness or weight. Maybe I am just used to it after 30 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you buy your Redhawk look at it very closely. I love the ones I have but they are older guns. In the last six or seven years most of the new ones I've seen at shows and shops are questionable. Don't get me wrong, they'll probably shoot but who wants to buy a gun where the barrel isn't true to the frame, or the rib isn't centered to the frame and/or the sight is crooked. I mentioned this to "ask the CEO" and was told they'd sell me one I'd be happy with. I sent it back. Where the barrel meets the frame it was flush on one side, no frame ledge. The other side was off by a fraction of an inch. Sudda measured it but was so pissed I just sent it back. The gun box had a test target, shot from a rest at 15 yards, 3+ inch group. I expect at least that from a rest at 25 yards. Looking down the barrel the front sight was visibly crooked. The only good thing i could say is the rib was centered to the frame. Their casting must be off. I own or have owned just about every Ruger revolver ever made, Bearcat, Speed Six, GP100, SP101, you name it, if Ruger made it I either own it or have owned it. I just don't know what's happened to the Redhawk line, very disappointing to see the lack of quality in a Ruger product.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a blued 7.5 inch 44 mag Redhawk on which I mounted a Luepold 2x handgun scope using factory mounts and I installed Hogue Bantam grips. It's a 1989 mamufacture and is more accurate than any of my other 44s. Recoil is modest with full power loads. I like blued handguns the best. It is also easy to disassemble for cleaning the innards.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a bad Jones going, so I rented a Super Redhawk at the range.
I simply hated the damn thing.
Hated everything about it.

I could hardly wait to finish the box of shells, turn it in, and leave.
My fun meter peaked after the first round.

I own GP100, SPs, Vaqueros, Single-Sixes... all of which are enjoyable shooters.

Rent one first.
You may like it, you may hate it.
Rent both Redhawk and Super Redhawk... that is a lot of money to spend only to find you hate the gun.

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
The Redhawk bug finally got to me. I have the SR 1911 itch scratched and the Precision Rifle is getting there. The New Vaquero twins, 45 and Colt are getting along just fine but the safe needed a couple Hawks. So.....a 357 8 hole 2 3/4 is in the safe and his big brother the Alaskan in 454 Casull is inbound!

·
Registered
31 Posts
124 grain Hornady's?

Sorry i haven't been able to respond to all of you. Thank you for all of the great information. No, i did not end up getting the Redhawk. The person selling the Redhawk backed out on me and went away. So, I ordered a Ruger .44spl Flattop 5.5" barrel. I fell in love with the Flattop when i held it and had to order it. I pick it up on Monday. I have some nice grips waiting for it. I have already loaded up some 124gr. Hornady's with Unique. Can't wait to go and shoot it. I still do want a Redhawk though!
I have a 50th Anniversary .357 Magnum converted to .44 Special and a 7.5 inch Bisley also in .44 Special. You will love your single action! I suggest 240 grain cast bullets with 7.5 grains Unique and standard primers. If you had gone with the .44 Magnum choice in a Redhawk, I would have suggested 10.0 grain Unique for around 1000 fps for any general hunting or shooting requirement. If you get the Redhawk in the future, get the 5.5 inch barrel in either .44 Magnum or .45 Colt, unless it is a dedicated hunting gun. I like the slightly less barrel heavy .45 Colt but it's not that much of a difference. In 325 grain weight the velocities are very close in the 1200 fps range.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts