Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my Rugers with Folding stocks.
(the interesting one is on the right end)

10/22, 10/22, mini-14, mini-30, PC-9

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Like those folders! I have considered buying one of the Butler Creek folding stocks for my Mini, but have not done so yet.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
purty. every democrat's nightmare. But a very nice flock of rugers indeed.
How's the mini 30 grouping?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mini-30 is kind of strange... first shot is dead on and then the next ones are about 3" off to the right... not talking about the barrel warming up but just the first hand chambered round.. interesting thing is the mini-14 is the opposite... first round is off to the left and then then rest are dead on.... if I had more time, I would figure it out.... The mini-14 (in the middle) has over a $1,000 in it... look real close at the barrel.

My carry around rifle 99% of the time is the PC-9 on the right with the choate folding stock... the folding stock is for a mossburg 500 shotgun but with a little work and a lot of courage you can make it work. I would put Butler Creeks folders as #1 if going on a stainless steel rifle, but I would put Choate first if going on a standard blued one. I've also heard a rummor that Butler Creek moved their manufacturing to someplace in Asia...but not sure.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I see that the middle mini had its barrel trimmed back and the brake added. Done by who? Read of an outfit in Odessa, TX and of another one in the Dallas, TX area that specializes in such on mini's for accuracy enhancement.
Butler creek in asia?---figures. At least Ruger is still USA.
What types of hi-cap mags are you using in the mini-14 and the mini 30?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Blume357...nice folders! I used to bench rest shoot in my younger days. Could it be you may have a little gun oil in your barrel for the first shot? That will cause a "flyer." I ran dry cloths...more than one...thru my barrel before my first shot...I did not want ANY oil in that barrel whatsoever.

Or I would fire a few rounds before bench resting the target to get any oil out of the barrel that may have been there. I learned that little secret the hard way after having flyers the first few rounds. I prefer to wipe the barrel first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has to do with hand chambering the first round...because it does it regardless of it the gun is clean or not.....

as for the type of magazine question... don't have a clue. One of my pet peeves is that most after market magazine makers don't put their name on their product.... does that tell you something? I don't know why they aren't on the mini 14 but I usually use 20 round factory (LEO) mags on it.

Accuracy Systems did the barrel job on the mini-14. Didn't change it out (I couldn't afford that) but cut the factory barrel down to something like 14" and then put the choate muzzle break back on. thus the total length of the barrel is 16.25". She shoots better at 50-75 yards with this short barrel... but the muzzle blast is a little intense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts