Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting a scope on my Ruger African, and managed to strip one of the screws. When putting the top of the ring on, that has 4 screws, the rings only come within about 3/16" of one another (I'm guessing). This leaves very little purchase to the screws. I picked up some longer ones at the hardware store that utilize the full length of the tapped lower portion of the base. The screws are the right length when put together without a scope...but on all of my rifles there is a gap that leaves less of the screw in the hole to hang on. I'm surprised Ruger doesn't provide longer screws with their rings.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct rings for the scope ? Does the scope mate well with the rings? Are the rings the same height? I've never seen a 3/16" gap before.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was putting a scope on my Ruger African, and managed to strip one of the screws. When putting the top of the ring on, that has 4 screws, the rings only come within about 3/16" of one another (I'm guessing). This leaves very little purchase to the screws. I picked up some longer ones at the hardware store that utilize the full length of the tapped lower portion of the base. The screws are the right length when put together without a scope...but on all of my rifles there is a gap that leaves less of the screw in the hole to hang on. I'm surprised Ruger doesn't provide longer screws with their rings.
I currently have two Rugers using Ruger Rings and there was another one that I used to own. None of mine have given me any trouble while mounting scopes. The screws are always plenty long. I have to wonder if you are trying to mount a 30mm scope with 1" rings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts