Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hawkeye African 6.5x55. I would judge it’s feeding/bolt smoothness as a 6 out of 10. No feed issues, but the toughness of the raceways translates directly to feed smoothness....no trouble so far in the field.

How is the bigger RSM in 458 Lott?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you imply by "how is it bigger than the 458 Lott? Are you referring to the overall size of the rifle or are you referring to the 6.5X55 cartridge?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m just wondering if they finished the raceways better, or maybe forged the safari actions...

·
Registered
271 Posts
What do you imply by "how is it bigger than the 458 Lott? Are you referring to the overall size of the rifle or are you referring to the 6.5X55 cartridge?
Reread the OP’s post:

He asked, “how is the bigger RSM in 458 Lott?” Not the mistaken inference you made.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Hawkeye African 6.5x55. I would judge it’s feeding/bolt smoothness as a 6 out of 10. No feed issues, but the toughness of the raceways translates directly to feed smoothness....no trouble so far in the field.

How is the bigger RSM in 458 Lott?
I haven’t had a Mark II which I thought was only a 6/10 for feeding and feel, but have had a couple Hawkeyes which I’d grade about there. It doesn’t take much to clean that up - other than the potential binding from the inherent clearances. The RSM’s I have owned had prettier wood, but otherwise weren’t necessarily any different than the standard MkII’s.

I had a 458wm RSM years ago, which I had reamed out to Lott. After some polishing/lapping and tweaking the feed rails, it ran like a top, very smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts