Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have waited, and now applaud the announcement of the Blackhawk five shot 45/454 and 480 Ruger.

Pretty close on the heels of another long wait and realization of a dream, the 44 Special.

I recall a time when the hope was for a five shot 38/357 revolver.......

I am fond of my Blackhawk 44 Mag and cherish my Lipsey's early run 44 Special.

Why not a five shot 44 mag on a new frame sized somewhere between the 44 Special and Blackhawk?
Or would the difference between the existing two frame sizes prove not really worthwhile?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
A little while back Smith came out with a 5 shot 44 mag on their medium size L frame. I've seen only one and Smith still shows it in the catalog but really haven't heard much talk about it. Maybe there really isn't that big of a market for them. I have owned a Taurus Tracker in 44 mag and even with their new grip it wasn't fun to shoot. It was also a 5 shot on a medium frame.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Many have waited, and now applaud the announcement of the Blackhawk five shot 45/454 and 480 Ruger.

Pretty close on the heels of another long wait and realization of a dream, the 44 Special.

I recall a time when the hope was for a five shot 38/357 revolver.......

I am fond of my Blackhawk 44 Mag and cherish my Lipsey's early run 44 Special.

Why not a five shot 44 mag on a new frame sized somewhere between the 44 Special and Blackhawk?
Or would the difference between the existing two frame sizes prove not really worthwhile?
I agree, a new frame size isn't needed and would kill the possibility. But like Varminterror posted, on the mid frame, that wouldn't seem to be a big challenge for Ruger The 5 shot would add a lot of strength by moving the chambers between the cyl notches. And Ruger could use the same Carpenter steel they indicate using on the 454 and 480 cylinders.

Essentially a 44 Spl with the option to use 44 Mag when the occasion dictates.

I've heard of lengthening the 44 Spl chambers on the current 6 shot mid frame for low or medium 44 Mag loads, but I certainly can't condone that.

Nor see the need with the safer option to load up the 44 Spl. to its full potential.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would love a 5 shot 44 mag on the new vaquero frame, since i mostly shoot mild 44 mags anyway. The only reason i dont buy the 44 special flat top is because i dont want to bother with aquiring more brass that ill mix up. I should probably just sell my 45 blackhawk and try to find a flat top 45 colt. Or new vaquero and commit blasphemy and put an aluminum grip frame on it

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I think it's a natural!

Smith and Wesson recently introduced a 5 shot 44 Mag on their L frame, the model 69. The L frame cylinder is 1.560" in diameter.

The New Vaquero cylinders are 1.677" in diameter. Together with the 5 shot cylinder, the New Vaq would even have a margin of strength over the Smith.

I would not be surprised if one or more of the custom pistol smiths are already offering a 5 shot 44 mag New Vaquero!

Oh, in fact here it is from Bowen. It doesn't indicate oversize cyl either:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_big_bore_caliber_conversions.html

Ok Ruger, no excuses now...unless they determined there's not enough market for it. Then Lipsey or Talo, etc., will have to step up.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
A little while back Smith came out with a 5 shot 44 mag on their medium size L frame. I've seen only one and Smith still shows it in the catalog but really haven't heard much talk about it. .
Smith and Wesson recently introduced a 5 shot 44 Mag on their L frame, the model 929. The L frame cylinder is 1.560" in diameter.
I came home with a M69 about a year ago, (not sure about a 929), and it is a very nice gun for portability and accuracy. It's manageable with full power loads. It's about 42oz loaded, more than the little Taurus, but about the same as a Blackhawk frame 4 5/8" .44 would come in. The difference between the M69 and my 5.5" SBH is more than I thought it would be. I would have jumped on a 5 shot, lighter .44 BH in a heartbeat. If a 3.75" variant in .44M shows up, it's mine.

Shaving a few ounces of the beefy SBH in the interest of convenience, size and weight, is by no means a bad idea. Hard to beat the larger models for hunting, but they are large in a hip holster with a pack, etc.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ruger doesn't make a five shot single action 44mag because nobody wants one, it would be a complete dud. Most folks that use 44mag for protection want DA, a smaller frame SA has no use in cowboy actions stuff....

Maybe a DA 5 shot 44mag like the SW 69. But takes a new frame, that's a big investment to try an win 50% of a niche market segment that SW's already owns. It's a me-too too late.

Just not going to happen, there's no ROI and spends precious engineering resources on something that's never going large volume.

If Ruger wants to make 2million guns per year they can't waste limited engineering resources on something like this in SA or DA. Expect more flavors of existing gun platforms like the RPR, AR15, RAR, 454/480, they don't require investment in new frames that take time and money to validate before a single gun can be shipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ruger doesn't make a five shot single action 44mag because nobody wants one, it would be a complete dud. Most folks that use 44mag for protection want DA, a smaller frame SA has no use in cowboy actions stuff....

Maybe a DA 5 shot 44mag like the SW 69. But takes a new frame, that's a big investment to try an win 50% of a niche market segment that SW's already owns. It's a me-too too late.

Just not going to happen, there's no ROI and spends precious engineering resources on something that's never going large volume.

If Ruger wants to make 2million guns per year they can't waste limited engineering resources on something like this in SA or DA. Expect more flavors of existing gun platforms like the RPR, AR15, RAR, 454/480, they don't require investment in new frames that take time and money to validate before a single gun can be shipped.
+1.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
My question is..........................why?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here?

First of all, there really isn't that much practical difference between the Super Blackhawk and the Flat Top .44 Special.

My take on the subject, when you want a .44 Magnum, go with the Super Blackhawk. When you want something smaller and less ferocious, go with the Flat Top .44 Special.

Sort of middle of the road, my 5" Super Blackhawk with mild handloads:

And for every day carry, my Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wonder what it would take to fit a 5 shot 44 mag cylinder into one of the flat top 44 specials? Since as stated there isnt much difference in the frames would it hold up in a 5 shot cylinder or would it blow it up? I always heard the new vaq/flattop was more handy and feels lighter and more compact but dont know for sure since all mine are original vaquero or blackhawks or super blackhawks.
I used to have a new vaquero 357 years ago but cant remember it being particularly handy. I think i need more single actions so i can hold them all and compare. Please dont tell my wife!

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I came home with a M69 about a year ago, (not sure about a 929), and it is a very nice gun for portability and accuracy. It's manageable with full power loads. It's about 42oz loaded, more than the little Taurus, but about the same as a Blackhawk frame 4 5/8" .44 would come in. The difference between the M69 and my 5.5" SBH is more than I thought it would be. I would have jumped on a 5 shot, lighter .44 BH in a heartbeat. If a 3.75" variant in .44M shows up, it's mine.

Shaving a few ounces of the beefy SBH in the interest of convenience, size and weight, is by no means a bad idea. Hard to beat the larger models for hunting, but they are large in a hip holster with a pack, etc.
Yes, I meant the Model 69 44 mag. 5 shot Smith. Sorry about that.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
That will remain to be seen. There's a lot more single action Rugers sold than there is to the cowboy action crowd.

The M69 frame was not a new frame size, the L frame was around for at least 30 years before it was offered in a 5 shot 44 Mag.

The mid frame Ruger SA has been around for ten and will easily suffice.

And the Smith DA is a completely different price point than a Ruger SA, besides, DA and SA markets are two separate and distinct markets.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I wonder what it would take to fit a 5 shot 44 mag cylinder into one of the flat top 44 specials? Since as stated there isnt much difference in the frames would it hold up in a 5 shot cylinder or would it blow it up? I always heard the new vaq/flattop was more handy and feels lighter and more compact but dont know for sure since all mine are original vaquero or blackhawks or super blackhawks.
I used to have a new vaquero 357 years ago but cant remember it being particularly handy. I think i need more single actions so i can hold them all and compare. Please dont tell my wife!
1.) This might be a testament regarding your concern:

Several 44 Spl 6 shot New Vaquero and flat top BH mid frames have been reamed for 44 Mag. Don't construe this as my endorsement of this practice nor that I have done it. But using off the shelf standard loadings of 44 Mag ammo have had no ill effect, nor have any of these guns "blown up".

I surely see no concern with a 5 shot based on post #6 above.

2.) The new Vaquero or flat top BH mid frames in 357 would not help one realize the handiness of the mid frame which is actually over built for the .357.

When you recall the 357 has been built for years and years on a Model 19 size frame by both Smith and Colt with cylinders in the 1.444" diameter range, the new Ruger mid frame cylinder's diameter of 1.677" in (post #6 above), makes it starkly apparent how much over size-for-cartridge the New Vaqueros are.

You'd have to handle one in 44 or 45 to recognize it's handiness. Then a 5 shot 44 Mag mid frame's benefits become evident over a large frame 6 shot 44 Mag SBH.

Similar to the way a 5 shot 357 Chiefs Special's benefits are evident over a Model 19 in 357. And just like one can shoot 38 Spl in the 357 Chiefs, recoil shy shooters can shoot 44 Spl in 44 Mag 5 shot mid frames until they need the 44 Mag ability.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The original Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum was made on the same frame as the .357 Magnum, that is, the mid-size frame. And it contained the .44 cylinder, in six shot configuration very well. Rumors are that the gun blew up in testing. I can't document the source now, but remember reading several years ago of the results of that test.

In developing the .44 Magnum Blackhawk, the gun was suspended over a water tank, firing down vertically into the water. To control the (considerable) resulting splash, a rubber membrane covered the tank. After the test were completed, it was noticed the barrel bulged considerably. This prompted the decision to go to the heavier frame. After that die was cast, it was determined that water droplets had entered the muzzle and caused the resulting bulge when fired.

As I said, I cannot document this story, but read it some years back in a publication. Again, I can't verify the truth of it, but it does at least sound plausible.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That will remain to be seen. There's a lot more single action Rugers sold than there is to the cowboy action crowd.
Not a chance, I'd bet money you won't see in in the next ten years. 20 guys on the Ruger forum isn't a viable market.

The M69 frame was not a new frame size, the L frame was around for at least 30 years before it was offered in a 5 shot 44 Mag.
Never said it was, typical Ruger Forum straw man response, making up something then, attributing it to me, then proving I'm wrong. LOL, keep trying....

The mid frame Ruger SA has been around for ten and will easily suffice.
You have nothing to back this up. Just more Ruger Forum fanstasy....

And the Smith DA is a completely different price point than a Ruger SA, besides, DA and SA markets are two separate and distinct markets.
Another strawman, I did point out there's no market for 5 shot SA 44mag, there a small market for a DA 5 shot 44mag, it does take a new frame and Ruger isn't going to waste the expense of a new frame along with the precious engineering resources for a niche that is already owned by Ruger's competitor. It really is that simple....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts