Ruger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Then don't buy a Blackhawk, buy a Freedom Arms. I know what it takes to hand fit and finish a pair of grips and for what Ruger charges for a gun, they just can't do it.
They used to fit properly, what happened?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
They used to fit properly, what happened?
Well, for one thing, they switched from Lett to Altamont as their grip supplier. For another thing, maybe they started getting too many grip sets that were protruding over the frames and were not usable so they had Altamont make them slightly smaller to fit better. Ruger makes the guns, they don't want to have to mess around making a set of grips fit a gun. That's why they pay Altamont to make the grips for them. Ruger having to fit grips to their guns is just another step in manufacturing and would be just another expense. As I said, the grips never see a grip frame until they are put on the guns just before shipping. One thing we don't know is how many pairs of grips does Ruger scrap because they just fit too badly to use. If you want something made better, you just have to pay for it. That's the way of business.

As I showed you, even that grip locator pin being slightly off can make a pair of grips fit badly. It's my guess that after the final grinding and polishing on their grip frames, they are then put on some kind of jig to drill that grip locator pin hole. So, it all depends on how the frames fit on that jig as to how accurately that pin hole is drilled.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, maybe the switch to Altamont is the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The only frame I have which fit whatever I tried on it is the Wrangler. My Vaqueros are a little big, and Texas Grips sets fit them well, now. Tried Altamonts on my Single-six, and my Vaqueros. None fit well. Ruger's own fit my singe-six, and my single-ten, after a couple of tries. Interestingly, the best fit on all were very cheap ebay Vietnamese grips. But they were too thin. Go figure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I second the poster who recommended LS Grips of Neosho MO.iI've found their off the shelf grips a relatively better fit than factory grips, and they are aesthetically light years ahead of the factory plywood.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Over on the Single Action forum everyone is enamored with Ronnie Wells grip frame and stocks. Ronnie CNCs grip frames and matching stocks. Everything fits perfectly from the git-go. Only $400 in bronze and $350 for aluminum.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't know but I don't get it. I have a set of your grips that cost over $200 on a Single Six that cost me $200.

Here's a set of $1000 ivories on a $500 Bisley .44Spl.

At some point, what does the cost of the gun even matter?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was just saying I want good practical grips that fit my SA's without any edges, wood or metal. All are shooters, no trophy sets. I love ivories, but not on a shooter. If I dropped it... well... I love to some day have an engraved Blackhawk or Vaquero, and I'd put ivories on it because it would improve the looks. And display it in a shadowbox. I have Texas Grips on my two Vaqueros, Ruger factories on my Single Six and Single Ten (and several grip pairs that don't fit right), and a nice bird's head frame and grip on my Wrangler, courtesy of Iowegan, which did cost a substantial percentage of the cost of the Wrangler (Wranglebird), but they fit my hand and shoot well.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
All are shooters, no trophy sets.
Mine are all shooters too, but I want nice looking and fitting 'wood' grips -- so I pay the piper to make it so. If I drop them, scuff them, notch 'em (hope not of course) -- o' well. Just part of life. Analogy is a like a car with a nice paint job. Not going to stop driving it, just because i might get a few rock chips or put some wear on the tires...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Make no mistake, these are not done to pretty up a safe queen. The primary reasons to get custom grips are for proper fitment, to both the gun and the shooter. I've literally spent thousands of dollars on grips to figure out what I like. The fact that they are aesthetically pleasing is just frosting on the cake.

One thing to keep in mind about ivory. Before it became grips, 10-15,000lb elephants used it to fight and push over trees with.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Make no mistake, these are not done to pretty up a safe queen. The primary reasons to get custom grips are for proper fitment, to both the gun and the shooter. I've literally spent thousands of dollars on grips to figure out what I like. The fact that they are aesthetically pleasing is just frosting on the cake.

One thing to keep in mind about ivory. Before it became grips, 10-15,000lb elephants used it to fight and push over trees with.
Sure thing, but on the elephant, it's a living growing organism and gets nutrients from the elephants body.

Not so when it's cut off the elephant and dried out. But as you said if it is properly fit on a grip frame with no edges sticking out over the frame, it should be very strong and durable.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts