Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught something related to this on another board and I was curious. Does the perceived loudness of the GSR make it *much* louder than other 308s? (like the Rem700, M77, American). Shorter barrel & flash hider I'm sure makes it louder by default.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Caught something related to this on another board and I was curious. Does the perceived loudness of the GSR make it *much* louder than other 308s? (like the Rem700, M77, American). Shorter barrel & flash hider I'm sure makes it louder by default.
Un-quantifiable words that you used:
Perceived, *Much* louder

No two people Perceive things the same, so that means nothing. Same with is something MUCH more or less.

It REALLY depends upon powder used, and to an extent the bullet weight.
The 308's operational pressure is 60,000-62,000psi. If you use a fast burning powder, the peak pressure will happen sooner and by the time the bullet pops out O the barrel; there will be a relatively low pressure, not a horrid pop.

On the other hand, if you use a slow burning powder, the peak pressure will be farther down the tube, and the pressure relatively speaking, will be higher when the bullet exits; meaning big boom!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jeeze, it never fails. Ask a simple question about "perceived" loudness and someone who cannot answer your question has to pipe up and give you a lecture on perception. I wish i could answer your question. Maybe someone will show up and give you a simple yes or no answer.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I don't have a GSR but I do have an M1A, Remington 700 and a SCAR 17S, all shoot .308. I don't notice any perceptible difference between those. The SCAR maybe the "quietest", but my 700 seems just as loud as the M1A.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm curious too. My GSR is loud but I don't have any shooting experience with the other three 308s you mentioned to compare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have a GSR (yet...working on that...), but I do have an AR10 with an 18" Noveske barrel and a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider. 18" is closer to the 16.5" of the GSR than it is to the 26" of my .308 Remington 700. I "perceive" the AR10 to be a little bit louder than the R700, but not a LOT louder. It really isn't that big of a difference, or that big of a deal. I "perceive" magnum chambered rifles to be "MUCH" louder than either of my .308s, barrel length notwithstanding, but again, it just isn't that big of a deal.

Not too long ago, I was at a "Silencers are Legal" event at Elm Fork Shooting Range in Dallas when someone nearby lit off a bolt rife chambered in .50 BMG. Everyone was acting like the fires of hell were about to be unleashed. Yes, it was loud.....I was standing about 10-15' away—but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Not only is the noise and/or recoil of a rifle often overstated, I think we psyche ourselves into thinking it is going to be something worse than it really is. Not too long ago, I let a friend of mine fire my R700, and it was the first time he had shot a centerfire bolt rifle. He perceived it to be a cannon. In contrast, I've fired easily several thousand rounds of .308 by now through rifles I've owned, including two bolt rifles, and M1A, and an AR10, and it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. It's all about how much we accustom ourselves to what it is we're doing.

The guys who eat a steady diet of .375 H&H Magnum?....now they're crazy.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
mine was loud and got louder when I put on a PWS FSC 30 Muzzle Device, so when I decided to go hunting I switched that one out for a Kies Blast Master Linear Compensator, that one reduced the noise level alot as well as helped to control dust from flying up when shooting prone. For overall muzzle rise and recoil reduction, the PWS was the best one for the role, however for noise reduction by way of redirection and muzzle rise the Kies was the one I stuck with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look into a PWS CQB muzzle device. I ordered one for my AR after I shot a friends with one on it. This is one great device. We shot 90 rounds 223 to test it. I stood 10 feet away at his 4 oclock, no ear protection. He shot 25 rounds and it cut the sound down to a comfortable level. I just ordered on for my scout. Its the only way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts