Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have gotten more reasonable of late and I've wanted on for a while. Not having a lot of money has it's advantages in that hopefully they've got any bugs worked out.

So along those lines, have there been any problems with accuracy, reliability, etc.?

What are the preferred optics, an Aimpoint or a Scout Scope?

I assume that the Leupold or Burris are found on most. I'm leaning hard toward the Aimpoint. Even though a 275 yard PBR is well within reason (perhaps more), the realistic distances here in the Eastern Woods is 150 yards tops. Seems like it would be fast.

Any other issues or praise of this rifle?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hate them...because I don't own one yet! ;):(

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year. I put the Leupold scout scope on it and love it. No issues with it at all and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I shoot it. I'm not aware of any issues with the GSR, mine has worked great.

I like Aimpoints, but I'm glad I have the scout scope on mine. It is easier to shoot for accuracy than an Aimpoint (I have the PRO).

I wish they would come out with a synthetic stock because the laminate is really nice looking and I have dinged it up just a little. Oh well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted Hogue sometime ago about this very issue. They told me a short action pillar bed stock for the M77 will fit the Gunsite Scout. I've been meaning to order one up myself, just haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had mine for almost a year. I put the Leupold scout scope on it and love it. No issues with it at all and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I shoot it. I'm not aware of any issues with the GSR, mine has worked great.

I like Aimpoints, but I'm glad I have the scout scope on mine. It is easier to shoot for accuracy than an Aimpoint (I have the PRO).

I wish they would come out with a synthetic stock because the laminate is really nice looking and I have dinged it up just a little. Oh well.
Hello BenjiEDF,

Which "Leupold Scout Scope" did you use? I'm getting ready to buy the left-handed version of the scout rifle, but all of the low power (i.e. 1-4x24, 2-7x, etc.) scopes I've looked at, including from Leupold, have eye reliefs of around 3.5"-4", which means that they would be no good mounted in the forward mounted position. And unfortunately for me, I cannot afford the Mark 8 scope (not to mention my balking at the idea of mounting a $3500 scope on a $900 rifle).

Anyway, I realize that I can mount something over the top of the action, but I like the idea of preserving the rear sight because BUIS makes perfect sense on a rife like this, and that is part of why I like the rifle. I'd hate to have to lose that feature just to mount a scope. I tried calling Ruger to see if they had any suggestions, and I kept getting their "closed due to unforeseen circumstances" recordings, at both the AZ and NH offices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've installed the extended rail from XS Sighting Systems on my GSR. It replaces the short, forward rail and rear sight with a rail that runs from where the factory rail ends at the front, to where the rear sight is located. It contains a rear sight as standard.

I did this to widen the choice of optics for the rifle. What ever I end up mounting can be installed with a quick release mount that would permit fast removal of the glass to use the BUIS. I'm leaning towards an Trijicon ACOG, but we'll see. They have a model with a calibrated reticle for the .308 round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Accuracy and reliable, all good.

Optic is Leupold Scout Scope FX, standard 2.5x, heavy duplex.

Rifle shoots moa, when I will.

Handy. Strong. Simple. Fun.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have a Leupold 2.5x scout scope on my 30-30 and love it. I doubt if you will be disappointed.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
At the time I got my scout, the left hand ones were impossible to find, so I ended up with a right winged one. Other than being built for people who are working with the wrong side of the Brain :D it's the best bolt gun I've got in my collection that cost less than $1800.

One thing you should know about, almost nobody is happy with the way the bolt feels when you get it. You'll be certain that there's a bunch of sand in the bolt. But the best thing to do with it is to take it apart, clean it completely, oil the daylights out of it, and work it a thousand cycles. I pulled up in front of the TV and watched a couple episodes of Top Shot last year as I cycled it in and out. After firing around 500 rounds now, it's as smooth as butter.

One other quirk is the mag that comes with it. It can't be topped off through the throat. But the polymer mags that Ruger sells for the gun can be. It's also a chunk of steel and I think you could park a car on it without hurting it. The polymer mags are also half the price of the steel one.

Thats all I can think of except to add one more time that this is a great rifle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have had one issue with mine, and that is with the polymer mags, not the rifle itself. What happens is the second round rides in in front of the extractor. The bolt won't close, and the round in the chamber has to be removed by tilting the gun.

After that second round it works just fine. It does it with both the 5 and 10 round poly mags I have, not with the metal mag that came with the rifle.

At the range I just load the mags a round short or use the metal one.

Deer hunting this weekend I used the five round mag and loaded it to full five round capacity, not thinking enough.
So when a buck comes running along yesterday afternoon, I took the first shot (I later saw I grazed his belly with this one). I cycled the action and boink... need to dump the chambered round and try again. The buck stopped and looked at me while I did this. As I brought the rifle back up it started to launch and BOOM. It dropped in 5 feet, from it's momentum. Then I see a doe that I didn't realize was following it was standing there looking at me. Cycled the action, and BOOM. It dropped right there. I took the range finder out, and they were 92 and 94 yards away, both heart shots.

I think my ears are still ringing.

For a scope, I am using a Nikon Monarch 4-12 x42 side focus in the supplied rings.

I have found the rifle to be very accurate, shooting around an inch and a half for me at 100 yards using inexpensive Federal 150 gr ammo from Walmart, and a little better with 168gr Hornady match.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a LH hand one it took me forever to find, Anyways I had an extra Eotech 512 lying around after i sold my AK so I slapped it on there and its extremely accurate out to 100 yards I found a picture of one with the xrs rail and a Eotech and the 3x magnifier on it and it looks sharp!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The catalog Leupold FX-II 2.5x seems to be the standard, but if you call Leupold's custom shop you can special order VX-II 1.5-4x for better snap shooting and magnification. Both have generous eye reliefs so you can keep your ejection port open like Jeff Cooper intended, and both work perfectly with the Low Leupold QRW rings. Better yet, the custom shop can install any Leupold turret (I got the M1 elevation) and reticle (mil-dots!). When I got my VX-II I retired my FX-II to permanent Marlin .45-70 duty.

My hunting handloads with 165 gr Nosler Accubonds and Varget get a consistent 2 moa, which doesn't win any trophies but is honestly better than I can possibly shoot from field positions.

My GSR and my .45-70 have become the only rifles I ever reach for.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I have had one issue with mine, and that is with the polymer mags, not the rifle itself. .
:confused:Are you using the Ruger polymer mags or the aftermarket polymers?:confused: I know some people have had issues with the less expensive polymer mags, but the Ruger mags do a very nice job for me. I have 5 now and they all work great.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have had one issue with mine, and that is with the polymer mags, not the rifle itself. What happens is the second round rides in in front of the extractor. The bolt won't close, and the round in the chamber has to be removed by tilting the gun.

After that second round it works just fine. It does it with both the 5 and 10 round poly mags I have, not with the metal mag that came with the rifle.

At the range I just load the mags a round short or use the metal one.
I encounter the same exact problem with mine using polymer mags. I don't really understand it though because you are supposed to be able to chamber a round by manually placing it in the chamber and closing the bolt on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How many pennies did that cost you? Sounds like a nice setup, but pricey!
Yeah, it adds up. The basic 1.5-4x Leupold Scout Scope was $380, plus $130 for the mil-dot reticle, plus $60 for the M1 elevation dial (which gives you 15 moa per revolution, clearly marked and visible from a shooting position), plus $20 custom shop surcharge, all for a grand total of $590, delivered. Then, of course, add in the low QRW rings and some cushy Leupold flip-up lens covers. It's a lot, but it's worth it to me.

Regarding magazines, I've had the same problem with my year old Ruger polymer 10-rounder. The spring is noticeably weaker than my other mags, which I suspect is the problem.

If you want the best magazine out there for the Ruger Scout, fork over $54 apiece for the Alpha Industries mags. I have 3, and they are worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.