Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly purchased Ruger Security 9 has a problem ejecting the spent casing. It doesn't always grab the casing to eject and causes a jam. I'm coming close to having put 1,000 rounds through the gun and here is the problem: It ONLY likes Federal ammo! Federal ammo has had zero jams and zero of these ejection problems! I've tried Russian ammo, Turkish ammo, Remington ammo, Browning ammo (this was the WORST! loaded one magazine and fired 2 rounds. both didn't eject and jammed. gave the Browning ammo to my buddy who is getting a lot of ammo that won't go through my gun!), brass casing, steel casing...it doesn't matter. I went to the range last week, and put 100 rounds of Federal through the gun and no problems. Loaded one magazine with 15 rounds of Remington ammo - 2 jams firing the whole mag. Loaded a magazine with 15 rounds of Browning ammo - 2 jams on the first two shots (I unloaded the Browning ammo and stopped there).

I know the easy answer is just buy Federal ammo, but I'd like other options in this ammo short world. Anybody else having this problem and should I just live with Federal ammo or is it worth calling Ruger and sending it in?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Your issue sounds like an extractor problem. If the rounds are staying in the chamber, then the extractor isn't holding onto the rims. I don't know if Federal has a bigger rim than others, causing the extractor to be able to hold onto it, but that might cause the differences in performance. Send Ruger pictures of your extractor, along with a description of the problem. Be detailed.

Articulate the nature of the malfunctions, too. The term "jammed" is broad. Specify if what is happening is that a spent casing is remaining in the chamber when the action opens, causing the next round feeding from the magazine to impinge against the spent case. Or, specify that spent cases are being extracted but not ejected, causing them to get lodged in the ejection port or farther inside the slide, if that is the case. The bottom line is that a detailed description of the malfunction will help them better diagnose the issue.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,820 Posts
How much has the pistol been cleaned? I just want to be sure that the chamber is clean and smooth. Make sure the notch in the extractor that snaps over the case rim hasn't got dirt and unburnt powder built up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts