Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time gun owner here. Bought a new Security 9 about 3 weeks ago (against all feedback from friends), took it out shooting last weekend straight from the box, and had nothing but jams. I fired 75 rounds (30ct Federal brass & 45ct Browning brass), and approximately every 5 rounds the gun would fail to chamber the next round. The spent round would eject fine, but the next round would jam and leave the slide partially back. Used the two mags that came with the gun and same issue regardless of which I used. Also had a stove pipe 1 time. To avoid the “I told you so” I haven’t shared this with any friends lol I plan to clean and lubricate it and hopefully go out shooting again this weekend and see if it performs better.

I haven’t cleaned it yet, but I removed the slide and something caught my eye. The ejector is not straight, it bends to the left. When I put the slide back on, it actually makes contact with the slide - not enough to stop the slide, but contact nonetheless. Is this normal or could this be why my gun jammed so much? Is it something I can (or should) fix myself? How?

Appreciate any and all help. Attaching some pictures to show the ejector.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You violated the first rule of new guns ...

Clean and properly lube before firing the first shot!
Agree completely. Guns leave the factory with a preservative that often turns gummy by the time you pick it up from the store. This gun could have been sitting for a year or more. Clean it thoroughly and apply lube before posting a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You violated the first rule of new guns ...

Clean and properly lube before firing the first shot!

Call or e-mail Ruger with the pictures.
Let them fix it.

Agree completely. Guns leave the factory with a preservative that often turns gummy by the time you pick it up from the store. This gun could have been sitting for a year or more. Clean it thoroughly and apply lube before posting a problem.

Thanks fellas. Now I know I should’ve cleaned it first. Guy at the gun shop and a couple friends had said to clean it about every 500 rounds so I went with that - now I plan to clean it after every time I shoot just to be safe. I am hoping once I clean it it stops jamming. I’ll update on it whenever I go out shooting again and if the problem persists I will contact Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your ejector is bent (or warped). You could probably bend it back yourself, but I'd suggest sending it back to Ruger and letting them handle it under warranty.

edit: That may or may not be the source of your troubles, but it would bug me in any case, were it my gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emailed Ruger about my bent ejector and this is what they replied. So I guess this is normal? So far people I’ve asked and videos I’ve watched all have a straight ejector on their Security 9. Cleaned and lubricated it last night and plan to go to the range this weekend. If the gun is still jamming, I’ll give Ruger a call rather than an email.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's weird. I guess if Ruger says they should have a bend, then they should, but the one I've seen in person and the ones I've seen in a couple disassembly videos thus far have been straight. :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Similar issue

I am a new and 1st time gun owner as well. I just bought a Security 9 as well. 1st thing I did was rear it down clean and oil it. Then loaded up both mags. Went to the range and 1st round I tried to load, by slingshot, jammed (tip up). I cleared and 2nd round jammed same way. Cleared. All others fired no issue even when I reloaded the problematic rounds. 2nd mag 1st round jammed same way. Cleared and reloaded the round immediately into the mag. All fired no issues. Next day loaded up both mags and just racked all rounds through 3x (so 90 rounds). Had 3 instances of partial jams, just had to push the slide forward to seat round. My ejector is bent EXACTLY the same way and the same direction as the pics in original post. Called Ruger and they said fire it more to break it in. If it keeps happening after 150 rounds through it contact them again. Is this normal or is there a real issue?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's weird. I guess if Ruger says they should have a bend, then they should, but the one I've seen in person and the ones I've seen in a couple disassembly videos thus far have been straight. :confused:

Same. All the videos I’ve seen have had the ejector straight. I have a feeling Ruger is just trying to filter out which issues need immediate attention and which do not due to COVID 19 and their low staff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a new and 1st time gun owner as well. I just bought a Security 9 as well. 1st thing I did was rear it down clean and oil it. Then loaded up both mags. Went to the range and 1st round I tried to load, by slingshot, jammed (tip up). I cleared and 2nd round jammed same way. Cleared. All others fired no issue even when I reloaded the problematic rounds. 2nd mag 1st round jammed same way. Cleared and reloaded the round immediately into the mag. All fired no issues. Next day loaded up both mags and just racked all rounds through 3x (so 90 rounds). Had 3 instances of partial jams, just had to push the slide forward to seat round. My ejector is bent EXACTLY the same way and the same direction as the pics in original post. Called Ruger and they said fire it more to break it in. If it keeps happening after 150 rounds through it contact them again. Is this normal or is there a real issue?

I went shooting this weekend and shot 185 rounds. The cleaning certainly helped I think. First two mags were flawless. After that I had 4-5 malfunctions where the slide locked back with rounds still in the mag. These were quick fixes just racked the slide back and it chambered. Only had 1 case where it actually jammed (picture below). Certainly better than last time where it jammed every 5 rounds. Gonna clean it again and see if it keeps improving next time I go shooting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same. All the videos I’ve seen have had the ejector straight. I have a feeling Ruger is just trying to filter out which issues need immediate attention and which do not due to COVID 19 and their low staff

That thought crossed my mind, as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought a brand new Security 9 Pro and it has the bent ejector, I knew about this thread before purchasing so I asked to see three or four other Security 9's and they also all had the bent ejector so I figure maybe it's something Ruger is doing now so I bought it.

Asking a Ruger CS agent might not yield the correct answer unless they ask the correct person who would actually know however because they might not have a full staff it could be a tough question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a brand new Security 9 Pro and it has the bent ejector, I knew about this thread before purchasing so I asked to see three or four other Security 9's and they also all had the bent ejector so I figure maybe it's something Ruger is doing now so I bought it.

Asking a Ruger CS agent might not yield the correct answer unless they ask the correct person who would actually know however because they might not have a full staff it could be a tough question.

Probably a in process change to the part, it happens all the time and not just gun companies.

True true. Maybe a change in their formula or something. Did you have any malfunctions with your brand new Security 9 the first time you shot it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
True true. Maybe a change in their formula or something. Did you have any malfunctions with your brand new Security 9 the first time you shot it?

No issues at all today went and put 100rds through it, all brass ejected to my 3 and 4 o'clock position neatly. Ammo was Fiochii 115gr

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No issues at all today went and put 100rds through it, all brass ejected to my 3 and 4 o'clock position neatly. Ammo was Fiochii 115gr

Nice! I’m wondering/hoping my issues are just ammo related. I’ve been shooting Federal Champion 115gr (red box) didn’t know that was their cheap/budget brass. I want to try Federal American Eagle 124gr and compare it to the Champion I have, but with this damn ammo shortage it’s tough finding anything but the budget stuff in stores nowadays.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice! I’m wondering/hoping my issues are just ammo related. I’ve been shooting Federal Champion 115gr (red box) didn’t know that was their cheap/budget brass. I want to try Federal American Eagle 124gr and compare it to the Champion I have, but with this damn ammo shortage it’s tough finding anything but the budget stuff in stores nowadays.

The 115gr American Eagle and Fiochii 115gr are very good quality ammo and have plenty enough force to work a new pistol if you can find them, usually they are very easy to find but not so easy right now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts