Ruger Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a seasoned gun owner as well as Law Enforcement and Marine Vet and i recently bought a Security 9 as well and first day out to the range fresh out of the box lubed up and ready to go she still had numerous premature slide locks and failure to feed i cycled 6 mags with 4 different brands of ammo all FMJ Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Hornady. put around 200 rounds down range a box of 50 in each, as well as one mag of 17 Federal HP and every brand had more then one premature slide lock or fail to feed. Most of the slide locks it would not sling shot nor did the manual release send the slide home with out doing a full mechanical reset mag ejected slide sent home mag reinserted charged and chambered shoot fine for a wile then repeat but issue on almost every mag load shot. all three, 15 round mags and all three 17 round mags. ill be sending it in to Ruger to have them look at it but ive ruled out the mags and ammo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a seasoned gun owner as well as Law Enforcement and Marine Vet and i recently bought a Security 9 as well and first day out to the range fresh out of the box lubed up and ready to go she still had numerous premature slide locks and failure to feed i cycled 6 mags with 4 different brands of ammo all FMJ Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Hornady. put around 200 rounds down range a box of 50 in each, as well as one mag of 17 Federal HP and every brand had more then one premature slide lock or fail to feed. Most of the slide locks it would not sling shot nor did the manual release send the slide home with out doing a full mechanical reset mag ejected slide sent home mag reinserted charged and chambered shoot fine for a wile then repeat but issue on almost every mag load shot. all three, 15 round mags and all three 17 round mags. ill be sending it in to Ruger to have them look at it but ive ruled out the mags and ammo.
When you say “lubed up” make sure you aren’t over doing it. The only reference in the owner’s manual to lubrication is to “wipe all surfaces with a patch or cloth that has been very lightly oiled “. Apparently I have been over lubing mine and coincidentally yesterday I had a few Failures to feed for the first time in 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought mine in January. Has been fed a steady diet of flat nose and round nose fmj. From premium 147 all the way down to steel case bimetal 115 trash. Have run a couple mags of jhp from various manufacturers, friend gave me a mixed lot bag.

First mag, fresh out of the box, 115gr flat nose, gun dry. Ran fine, but shaving the cases. A good deep cleaning and a little grease on the rails later, no issues. Clean feeding, clean firing, clean ejecting. ONE greasing in 7 months and it works fine.

I regularly practice with my bug, a 1936 CZ24, WW2 battlefield pickup. It ONLY reliably feeds steel case bimetal fmj round nose. I heavily greased the rails, barrel, recoil assembly. 3 years ago... Has run flawlessly since then, and I leave it in a saddlebag 24/7 when not shooting it. When it was a range toy, lubed by modern standards/practices, it would stove pipe every other round, double feed, fail to eject...

Some guns just need extra lubrication to work right. You may have one...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the input everyone! An update: It’s been a few weeks since my last range session, but I’m thinking it’s one of those guns that need a “break-in” period. Or at least mine is.

First time I went shooting I shot cheap Browning brass and Federal Champion and I got a malfunction about every 5 rounds. Failure to feeds and stove pipes. Later I shot Sellier & Bellot and would get light primer strikes. At this point though I’ve shot about 400 or 500 rounds, and the only malfunction I’ve had has been the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag - I think this is on my grip though. I believe my grip is too high and my lead thumb is engaging the slide lock. When I pay attention to that the slide does not lock back prematurely.

Now I don’t know for sure if it’s “break-in” or if it’s ammo related. I haven’t tried shooting the Federal Champion or Browning anymore. I’ve shot Fiocchi, Blazer, Aguila, and even Wolf steel with no more malfunctions (other than the slide locking mentioned above). Work has been crazy due to COVID so I haven’t had a chance to head to the range again. I want to try shooting that Federal Champion and Browning again to know for sure if it’s just ammo I need to avoid or if my Sec 9 is good now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For all new firearm owners here. When it comes to "break in", there are 2 things to consider.
1. Assembly line guns are built to tolerance and then the parts are randomly thrown together. That being the case, an individual firearm will sometimes have parts that don't mate well. Putting a couple of hundred live rounds through the gun will often allow the parts to wear away at each other until they do mate well. By 500 rounds, any mating issues should be solved.
2. Springs are also made to tolerances. They have to be strong enough to do the job over a set period of uses. Because of that, they tend to leave the factory stronger than they need to be. Springs will begin to wear from the first use on. Most notorious (from Ruger) are mag springs. They tend to be difficult to load to full capacity, and can put a certain amount of strain on the process of leaving the mag, robbing some of the momentum needed to fully chamber the round. I say this because 2 people in this thread have mentioned the first 2 rounds having problems, but not the rest of the mag. For this reason, I typically do not load a magazine to capacity during the break in period except occasionally to test it.

One more thing on the first round loading well. Lock your slide back, insert a magazine, pull the slide back and LET GO! Many new shooters have a tendency to want to ride the slide when loading that first round. Don't! Let the gun do what it is designed to do.

One more more thing. Welcome to the sport and the forum. Feel free to ask questions here. There are a lot of smart and experienced shooters here that like to help those who need it.
Thank you for adding this information. My other two semi's always worked fine when I would "ride the slide" and therefore I never knew it was improper technique. My new sec9 would not load until I did exactly as you said, locked the slide, loaded a mag, pulled back on the slide and let it rip. Perfect. Finally got a round loaded into what I initially thought was a defective gun. I learned something today and I thank you for that!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You’re a good sport. Curious what your friends cautioned you about in your initial post
Two of them cautioned about the gun jamming lol “I know a guy who has a Ruger and his sh** always jams on him.” Stuff like that.

I went in to the LGS with the intention of getting an S&W SD9VE, but the guys behind the counter are the ones that recommended I get the Sec 9 instead. The two friends I’m referring to own the S&W so they were butthurt that someone said this gun was better than theirs lol started receiving a bunch of videos from them of how S&W is ahead of Ruger as one of the top companies in the US haha

I might get an S&W Shield or something down the line, but right now I am happy with my Ruger despite the break in issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, first time gun owner here. Bought a new Security 9 about 3 weeks ago (against all feedback from friends), took it out shooting last weekend straight from the box, and had nothing but jams. I fired 75 rounds (30ct Federal brass & 45ct Browning brass), and approximately every 5 rounds the gun would fail to chamber the next round. The spent round would eject fine, but the next round would jam and leave the slide partially back. Used the two mags that came with the gun and same issue regardless of which I used. Also had a stove pipe 1 time. To avoid the “I told you so” I haven’t shared this with any friends lol I plan to clean and lubricate it and hopefully go out shooting again this weekend and see if it performs better.

I haven’t cleaned it yet, but I removed the slide and something caught my eye. The ejector is not straight, it bends to the left. When I put the slide back on, it actually makes contact with the slide - not enough to stop the slide, but contact nonetheless. Is this normal or could this be why my gun jammed so much? Is it something I can (or should) fix myself? How?

Appreciate any and all help. Attaching some pictures to show the ejector.
I purchased my Sec 9 a couple weeks ago and took it out for the first time today. If I remember correctly the first mag fired fine but cycling issues persisted after that. I fired only 100 rounds, due to the ammo shortage they only allowed a purchase of 2 boxes, and probably had around 8-10 cycling or jamming issues. Very frustrating considering the hours of research I did before buying this gun. All the reviews and videos on the gun seem to be on older models, which might explain the “bend” in the ejector. I personally have no clue if that’s the problem or but when the gun first released, it didn’t seem to be having these issues.

Being a novice gun owner, my initial feeding issues was due to me not letting the slide do it’s job but as I said above, the cycling issues continued. I did not clean and lube the gun before hand either. I’ll be doing that before I go out again.

I am curious if you have any other updates with your cycling issues?? Please and thank you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I purchased my Sec 9 a couple weeks ago and took it out for the first time today. If I remember correctly the first mag fired fine but cycling issues persisted after that. I fired only 100 rounds, due to the ammo shortage they only allowed a purchase of 2 boxes, and probably had around 8-10 cycling or jamming issues. Very frustrating considering the hours of research I did before buying this gun. All the reviews and videos on the gun seem to be on older models, which might explain the “bend” in the ejector. I personally have no clue if that’s the problem or but when the gun first released, it didn’t seem to be having these issues.

Being a novice gun owner, my initial feeding issues was due to me not letting the slide do it’s job but as I said above, the cycling issues continued. I did not clean and lube the gun before hand either. I’ll be doing that before I go out again.

I am curious if you have any other updates with your cycling issues?? Please and thank you!
Of course! My update is quoted below. Basically, the malfunctions decreased the more I went out to shoot. I’ve shot about 500 rounds now and I don’t get any malfunctions anymore (other than the slide fully locking back, but that’s because of my grip working on it) I haven’t determined if the gun needed to break in or if cheap ammo is what was causing all the malfunctions I was having.

Highly recommend you field strip and clean/lube. I made the mistake of shooting right out the box without cleaning, and when I finally got down to clean it I noticed these dry white films of coating on the underside of the slide. Kept it clean ever since.

Thanks for the input everyone! An update: It’s been a few weeks since my last range session, but I’m thinking it’s one of those guns that need a “break-in” period. Or at least mine is.

First time I went shooting I shot cheap Browning brass and Federal Champion and I got a malfunction about every 5 rounds. Failure to feeds and stove pipes. Later I shot Sellier & Bellot and would get light primer strikes. At this point though I’ve shot about 400 or 500 rounds, and the only malfunction I’ve had has been the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag - I think this is on my grip though. I believe my grip is too high and my lead thumb is engaging the slide lock. When I pay attention to that the slide does not lock back prematurely.

Now I don’t know for sure if it’s “break-in” or if it’s ammo related. I haven’t tried shooting the Federal Champion or Browning anymore. I’ve shot Fiocchi, Blazer, Aguila, and even Wolf steel with no more malfunctions (other than the slide locking mentioned above). Work has been crazy due to COVID so I haven’t had a chance to head to the range again. I want to try shooting that Federal Champion and Browning again to know for sure if it’s just ammo I need to avoid or if my Sec 9 is good now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Joined the security 9 club a few weeks ago. Went to the state forest yesterday and put 250 through a new out of the box firearm.
I rode the slide the 1st two rounds and let er RIP the 3rd. Solved.
I did load clips 2 weeks ago and will continue keeping them full, the break in is noticable already.
I shot fast, slow, whole clips, single shots, slow shots followed by bursts. Zero issues. Nothing. 125 blazer and 145 aquila, the latter flat nosed.
No issues on my end.
My gf had a failure to feed 2 or 3 rounds a clip. Same gun.
I have been shooting since I was 4.
She has been shooting since last year.
I hold the gun in my right, cupped and supported by my left,(traditional).
She took a class and learned the tacticle hold.
It seemed like her left hand grip fought the natural recoil which in my understanding, is necessary as part of the operation of the firearm.
If you have a gun with this issue, try a clip one handed if you are not a novice, my guess is you will have no failure to feed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And further more... the slide realse was so stiff I thought it may be inoperable. After shooting I can do it with my thumb in a shooting grip.
This firearm is like a cast iron pan.
I am really excited to see how mine seasons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And further more... the slide realse was so stiff I thought it may be inoperable. After shooting I can do it with my thumb in a shooting grip.
Try sling shotting it (I think that's what it is called, at least). I think that's how the pistol is intended by design to chamber the first round of a fresh mag. What's weird about mine is that if I firmly insert a mag into mine, it will chamber automatically. I'm still on the fence on whether I like that or not.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts