Ruger Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a seasoned gun owner as well as Law Enforcement and Marine Vet and i recently bought a Security 9 as well and first day out to the range fresh out of the box lubed up and ready to go she still had numerous premature slide locks and failure to feed i cycled 6 mags with 4 different brands of ammo all FMJ Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Hornady. put around 200 rounds down range a box of 50 in each, as well as one mag of 17 Federal HP and every brand had more then one premature slide lock or fail to feed. Most of the slide locks it would not sling shot nor did the manual release send the slide home with out doing a full mechanical reset mag ejected slide sent home mag reinserted charged and chambered shoot fine for a wile then repeat but issue on almost every mag load shot. all three, 15 round mags and all three 17 round mags. ill be sending it in to Ruger to have them look at it but ive ruled out the mags and ammo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm a seasoned gun owner as well as Law Enforcement and Marine Vet and i recently bought a Security 9 as well and first day out to the range fresh out of the box lubed up and ready to go she still had numerous premature slide locks and failure to feed i cycled 6 mags with 4 different brands of ammo all FMJ Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Hornady. put around 200 rounds down range a box of 50 in each, as well as one mag of 17 Federal HP and every brand had more then one premature slide lock or fail to feed. Most of the slide locks it would not sling shot nor did the manual release send the slide home with out doing a full mechanical reset mag ejected slide sent home mag reinserted charged and chambered shoot fine for a wile then repeat but issue on almost every mag load shot. all three, 15 round mags and all three 17 round mags. ill be sending it in to Ruger to have them look at it but ive ruled out the mags and ammo.
When you say “lubed up” make sure you aren’t over doing it. The only reference in the owner’s manual to lubrication is to “wipe all surfaces with a patch or cloth that has been very lightly oiled “. Apparently I have been over lubing mine and coincidentally yesterday I had a few Failures to feed for the first time in 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought mine in January. Has been fed a steady diet of flat nose and round nose fmj. From premium 147 all the way down to steel case bimetal 115 trash. Have run a couple mags of jhp from various manufacturers, friend gave me a mixed lot bag.

First mag, fresh out of the box, 115gr flat nose, gun dry. Ran fine, but shaving the cases. A good deep cleaning and a little grease on the rails later, no issues. Clean feeding, clean firing, clean ejecting. ONE greasing in 7 months and it works fine.

I regularly practice with my bug, a 1936 CZ24, WW2 battlefield pickup. It ONLY reliably feeds steel case bimetal fmj round nose. I heavily greased the rails, barrel, recoil assembly. 3 years ago... Has run flawlessly since then, and I leave it in a saddlebag 24/7 when not shooting it. When it was a range toy, lubed by modern standards/practices, it would stove pipe every other round, double feed, fail to eject...

Some guns just need extra lubrication to work right. You may have one...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the input everyone! An update: It’s been a few weeks since my last range session, but I’m thinking it’s one of those guns that need a “break-in” period. Or at least mine is.

First time I went shooting I shot cheap Browning brass and Federal Champion and I got a malfunction about every 5 rounds. Failure to feeds and stove pipes. Later I shot Sellier & Bellot and would get light primer strikes. At this point though I’ve shot about 400 or 500 rounds, and the only malfunction I’ve had has been the slide locking back with rounds still in the mag - I think this is on my grip though. I believe my grip is too high and my lead thumb is engaging the slide lock. When I pay attention to that the slide does not lock back prematurely.

Now I don’t know for sure if it’s “break-in” or if it’s ammo related. I haven’t tried shooting the Federal Champion or Browning anymore. I’ve shot Fiocchi, Blazer, Aguila, and even Wolf steel with no more malfunctions (other than the slide locking mentioned above). Work has been crazy due to COVID so I haven’t had a chance to head to the range again. I want to try shooting that Federal Champion and Browning again to know for sure if it’s just ammo I need to avoid or if my Sec 9 is good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 45 of 45 Posts