Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Ruger Security 9 and I having issues with misfires. I have put around 600 rounds through it so far and have only shot maybe three mags where I didn't experience a misfire. There have been times where in 30 rounds there were 10 misfires. I have cleaned the gun twice and was careful to remove all of the factory gunk and added plenty of oil. The problem seems to be a light firing pin strike, as all of the rounds that misfired had been struck, but did not ignite. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or will I need to send this pistol back to Ruger?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Light strikes in an unmodified factory gun is totally unacceptable. Call Ruger ASAP. By the way "added plenty of oil." is not good unless your car is a quart low. Properly lubing is a light (the right) amount in the right places. Also I hope you didn't lube the firing pin.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm assuming you are using factory ammo and have tried different brands. If reloading then you may not be handling or seating primers properly. If you're (over)trimming brass or improperly crimping you could be creating improper headspace issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have around 500 through mine and never had a failure to fire. The only FTF (failure to feed) issue I have had was with the Winchester steel cased ammo. My son ran the remainder of the box through both P85s' no problem. I love my Security9! My P85's a lot more!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar problem with an SR9c. Many misfires with strikes but light strikes. Turns out all my oiling of the firing pin was the root cause. Cleaned off all the oil from the firing pin and spring - no problems at all since... In my case it was a self induced problem. You dont know what you dont know (since I did not read any manual or advice before hand). haha.. Hopefully your issue is just as simple.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I had a similar problem with an SR9c. Many misfires with strikes but light strikes. Turns out all my oiling of the firing pin was the root cause. Cleaned off all the oil from the firing pin and spring - no problems at all since... In my case it was a self induced problem. You dont know what you dont know (since I did not read any manual or advice before hand). haha.. Hopefully your issue is just as simple.
This. ^^^^^

OP

There is no need to put any oil in the firing pin channel of any semi-auto.

After removing the firing pin and cleaning the channel. simply wipe the firing lightly with a cloth with a drop or two of oil on it.

Oil collects dirt and that dirt will eventually gum up the firing pin.

I'd pull the Security 9 apart and re clean the channel before I'd send it back to Ruger.

Firing pin chanels do get dirty and an owner needs to now how to clean them or make friends with a local gunsmith.

At some point in time it will get so dirty it needs to be maintained. A trip to the factory just for that isn't necessary.

Now, if you are sure it is clean and not full of oil, that your primers on the ammo you use are seated and not hard, then Ruger will help.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had a new lc9 and when I got it out of the box. It was dripping with oil I went to garage and got a can of starting fluid. Field stripped the pistol. And with the red straw that comes with the can. Gave her a shot down the firing pin hole. The excess ran out the back. Then blew it dry with compressed air.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Call Ruger Service Department

OP - I had the exact same problem. I saw the comment here about the firing pin oiling issue, so I cleaned/re-cleaned/etc. to eliminate user headspace and timing. I replaced the mags. Switched ammo (several times). I still could not get through one entire magazine without at least one light strike misfire.

This was my first ever problem with a Ruger. I was more than a little confused. It never occurred to me that the pistol itself might have a mechanical issue.

As the great Sherlock Holmes said "When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

With that in mind, I finally came to the conclusion that whatever the problem was, it was beyond my ken. Dismissing my pride, I called the Ruger Service Department for assistance.

My first time experience with Ruger Service Department was amazing. No pushback, no issues, no redirects. I was given an RMA number, and emailed precise instructions on how to ship my weapon to Ruger.

They replaced the slide, and returned it to me. It now runs like a scalded cat.

My recommendation is: Verify that you have eliminated the usual suspects - bad mags, particular ammo brand(s), cleaning/lube. If that doesn't fix it, call the Service Department.

Turnaround time from when it left my doorstep enroute to Ruger to when it was back in my safe was 9 days.

I have always been a fan of Ruger for it's over-engineering (I break things) and its value (I'm cheap..er... frugal.) I am even moreso now after my service department experience. Ruger stands behind their products.

Let us know when you get it fixed, and what the solution was. Sharing our experiences is what makes these forums work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Call Ruger Service Department

OP - I had the exact same problem. I saw the comment here about the firing pin oiling issue, so I cleaned/re-cleaned/etc. to eliminate user headspace and timing. I replaced the mags. Switched ammo (several times). I still could not get through one entire magazine without at least one light strike misfire.

This was my first ever problem with a Ruger. I was more than a little confused. It never occurred to me that the pistol itself might have a mechanical issue.

As the great Sherlock Holmes said "When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

With that in mind, I finally came to the conclusion that whatever the problem was, it was beyond my ken. Dismissing my pride, I called the Ruger Service Department for assistance.

My first time experience with Ruger Service Department was amazing. No pushback, no issues, no redirects. I was given an RMA number, and emailed precise instructions on how to ship my weapon to Ruger.

They replaced the slide, and returned it to me. It now runs like a scalded cat.

My recommendation is: Verify that you have eliminated the usual suspects - bad mags, particular ammo brand(s), cleaning/lube. If that doesn't fix it, call the Service Department.

Turnaround time from when it left my doorstep enroute to Ruger to when it was back in my safe was 9 days.

I have always been a fan of Ruger for it's over-engineering (I break things) and its value (I'm cheap..er... frugal.) I am even moreso now after my service department experience. Ruger stands behind their products.

Let us know when you get it fixed, and what the solution was. Sharing our experiences is what makes these forums work.
Hey all new to the forum. I purchased a Ruger security 9 and EC9s in March. I also purchased 1000 rounds of 9 mm ammo at the beginning of the Covid outbreak from Cabela’s unfortunately I was a bit unexperienced when it comes to purchasing ammo for the 9mm. I ended up taking both guns to the range and after about 100 rounds in the security 9 it started jamming every 3 to 5 shots. I read a a lot of different articles on the web which stated to send a gun back to Ruger to be fixed or to replace the spring and pin and other things. After talking to one of my buddies the ammo that I bought from Cabela’s was steel casing, which does not expand and contract like brass and is very dirty and for some reason the security 9 would not shoot it consistently I have since switched to brass casing and have shot about 500 rounds through both guns without any jams at all. Just wanted to let everyone know to check the ammo that you are shooting or try a different ammo before thinking it is the firearm or switching out parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts