Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just acquired a Security six 357 mag 2 1/2 barrel. I looked up serial for date of manufacture and found out it a 1974 150XXX serial. I see that grips are kinda hard to find.

Was looking to find out if anyone knows someone making them beside Herretts?

I was looking for some other options if any. Im looking for wood not rubber also.

Im not looking for an original ruger pair. I was looking on ebay and such and didnt find those to my liking.

Thanks in Advance

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hi Dave,

Nobody is making grips for the 150 series frame guns and haven't now for several decades. The early 150 frame was only in production a few years as you probably know and once the frame changed the grip makers followed suit. Herretts made them as did Jay Scott and perhaps others (besides Ruger) but they are very hard to find. Sometimes Sarco has some new-old-stock grips otherwise your best bet is going to be eBay, GunBroker, etc. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to find an online source and just order what you want.

Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

Nobody is making grips for the 150 series frame guns and haven't now for several decades. The early 150 frame was only in production a few years as you probably know and once the frame changed the grip makers followed suit. Herretts made them as did Jay Scott and perhaps others (besides Ruger) but they are very hard to find. Sometimes Sarco has some new-old-stock grips otherwise your best bet is going to be eBay, GunBroker, etc. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to find an online source and just order what you want.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Much thanks.... It looks like Herretts it is then... I was almost going to order some off Ebay but I really want a nice pair on this Six.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, Does anyone know if I can replace the front sight with an orange tab sight? Its pinned in just not sure if I can use a gp100 front or not...

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
If you take regular SS pachmayr's and dremel them you can make them to fit. It is a tedious process but can be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you take regular SS pachmayr's and dremel them you can make them to fit. It is a tedious process but can be done.
I really wanted to go the wood route.... I called Herrett and am getting a rosewood Roper Stock.... Should look pretty good.... Ill post pictures when I get them...

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you can't locate anything satisfactory, I have a couple pair of "150" grip panels that might work, including a Herrett's, I believe. Send me a pm if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Also, Does anyone know if I can replace the front sight with an orange tab sight? Its pinned in just not sure if I can use a gp100 front or not...
The last time I looked around for SS sights I think it was Numrich that still had some and they only had orange.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I read that Dan Wesson colored front sights will fit, but I haven't tried it yet. I have a Service Six police trade in with a mangled front sight, thought about having my gunsmith fit a red insert DW sight since the gun is a great shooter but beat to heck......so it doesn't matter what I put on it, just want a better sight for shooting.

Herrett's are a good choice, I had a 150 4" Security Six that came with Herrett's. Sile also made a 150 grip, they pop up cheap on EBay sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts