Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get a 4" blued security six awhile back for $200. Its been well used and it shows it. It came with a crappy scope that went out past the barrel so I ditched it. I contacted Ruger about which stock sights I could use for and they said the GP100 rear sights fit. while they are on back order I figured I would see what others have done to their SS. With this one being in ok shape overall as far as looks go, I would like to have it refinished. I'm not concerned about resale value. I mainly got this for a project/learning how to finish gun and just have fun shooting since it still shoots good. So if you have a Security Six with some work done to it post them up with some details on what you did. Thanks

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
That sure has a classic look. I agree that there's something there to be restored. Are you thinking about re-working the springs, tuning the cylinder or recrowning the muzzle while you're at it? When my buddy's father died, his mom dug out an old German gun. It was an Ortgies, semi-auto in .32 auto. He took it to a g.smith who put a high polish on it and then blued it. WOW! He probably wrecked the collector value of the gun but it's not much for that particular piece. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately it's not the best of pictures. I'll try to get afew close up shot when I get home of the worn down and scratched areas. I contacted Ruger about having them reblue it but due to the top being taped and drilled for a scope mount they won't touch it.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The serial number is in the 150's and most likely made in 74. These are the areas that are making me want to do something about the finish.

The barrel has a couple of good scratches and some rust.

The grip has alot of the bluing worn off.

The hole for the scope mount.

So maybe just some touching up then? Thanks for the info on the aftermarket sights also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Since it’s already been drilled and tapped you might consider putting a red dot sight RDS on your Security Six. Otherwise just plug the holes with a couple of screws and file the ends flush then either tough up with cold blue or refinish. As to the existing finish it’s not as bad as you might think and I’ve never refinished used guns I’ve purchased unless the finish was completely missing or more deeply scratched than yours. I traded into an early 1950’s Colt Model 357 (pre-Python) that had been purchased from an evidence auction and sent it to Colt for restoration. It was worth it to me so maybe you’ll feel the same about your own project.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I bought a later 1978 production Security Six in similiar condition..........I made it into a decent "PPC lite" type gun, added Bullseye springs, a spurless hammer and a One Ragged Hole rear sight blade and it's a fun shooter.

That drilled and tapped hole destroys any collector value so you might as well have fun with it, it's still worth $200 as a shooter.

I also picked up a 6" GP100 with D&T holes, I plan to use filler screws in the holes and add a Weigand mount to it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would like to have it refinished. I'm not concerned about resale value. I mainly got this for a project/learning how to finish gun and just have fun shooting since it still shoots good. So if you have a Security Six with some work done to it post them up with some details on what you did. Thanks
Nice catch! $200 was a great price.

My birthday present from my wife last year was to have my 1977 Security Six reblued. $125 for a bead-blast bluing. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Not the best pics. It was windy the day I brought it home; the dust stuck to the oil still on the gun.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Exlogger,

That looks identical to my Security Six mine is from early to mid 80's

My Sec.6 is a .357 mag. 6" barrel

I put on a Hogue grip on mine,

but still have the stock grips and they are in perfect condition,

the hogue grip fits my hand better, and is more comfortable than the hard wood grip, I like the looks of the wood grip though.

This is a fairly stout/heavy revolver, but it is my daughters favorite,

It has been a Great gun, I have put a lot of .38spl through it over the years.

I have also had some hot .357 loads through it, just a durable gun.

Hey KY86,
You will be able to past it down, as they dont wear out. Great price

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its good to know y'all think $200 was a good deal. I'm just ready to get the new rear sight in so I can get some more range time with it. As much as I would like to get the new finish on it soon, it wont keep me from enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
KY86-- I had a local smith in town do the work. I'll PM you with his contact information when I get off work tonight. The finish is holding up great. The place does solid work.

westgl-- You are correct these sixes are awesome. They last forever and are super accurate. I have a couple shorter barrel sixes I pack so this one is mostly my range gun.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Here are a few Security Sixes I refurbished. The coating is Cerakote which is a baked on finish and is very tough.

This is a Police Service Six (stainless steel) that I did. Not a coating, I just blasted the frame and trigger housing with 120 grit aluminum oxide:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xringshooter- I think I have seen one of those when I did a google image search. The jeweling on the cylinder is pretty cool. With it being a baked on coating did you do that at home in the oven? I'm sure a thread is on here on how to do it. Guess I'll start looking around for that also. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
563 Posts
KY86,
I actually built a curing oven out of an inexpensive Stack-On gun safe that I got on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods. That way I'm not bothering the wife and it is tall enough that I can do rifle and shotgun barrels as well as handguns.

I own/run a one man gun repair and refurbishment business in my part time. I got into the Cerakoting business when a few of my clients wanted it done to their guns.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
623 Posts
I really like the idea of bead blasting the entire frame. I think Xringshooter's looks really sharp. Like the cerakote too, but I know it does (eventually) wear off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly I think I'm leaning more towards cerakote right now. I was looking at the different finishes they have and a couple caught my eye. In the long run depending on how its cared for just about any finish will get worn down. None of the guns at my house are safe queens but we do clean them and keep them looking nice. The SS is the most banged up gun we have which is why refinishing it interests me. I just gotta figure out if I'm going to try it myself or send it to someone else to do. I really appreciate the responses I've gotten so far. Definitely got some ideas. Now I just gotta get it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts