Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of buying a .22 revolver and was wondering what y'all thought of your single six's. How's the trigger and accuracy, performance, etc. Any other .22 revolver suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have 2 a old three screw and a new 60th anniversary stainless. I also have many friends and family with them. I've never heard anyone complain as to accuracy.
The triggers especially newer ones are usually not very good and really benafit from a trigger job. the trigger return spring is very heavy and usually there is quite a bit of creep. I put a wolf trigger return spring in and that helpes weight a lot. The creep is best handled by a smith

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
I have a new model single six and the trigger is ok it could be better but I wouldn't let that steer you away. As mavracer said you can get it worked on. The accuracy is also good, it's better with the 22 magnum due to the minor difference in diameter between that and the 22lr. What I like is how versatile of a firearm it is. It can do anything from plinking, to varmint control to actual small game hunting.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Go for it. You won't be disapointed.
Definitely. As to the trigger, that can vary quite a bit from one gun to the next, so if you have a chance to examine the gun before you buy, check it out. Most of the new ones I've examined in stores the last year or so have been quite good, though. You can always do a poor boy's trigger job on a Single Six, too. Just a matter of removing the grips and lifting one side of a spring. The odds of you having to go to a gunsmith are actually pretty low. Don't let concerns about the trigger stop you from buying one of the great classic 22s of all time.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Get one, you'll love it! I bought my old 3 screw, used, 30yrs ago and it still works great. Lost track of the round count but I say it's a bunch because everyone loves to shoot it. I've always thought the trigger was nice & crisp as is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are awesome. You wont regret a single six tough as nails and the ability to shoot anything from shotshells and shorts to magnums.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love my 9.5" bbl Single Six

I purchased a Ruger Single Six with a 9.5" bbl last November and love it. I know it is a little long for lots of shooters but I like it. It always gets attention and it points and shoots real well. The only drawback was finding a holster for it, got one from IdahoMike on TFL.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You can always do a poor boy's trigger job on a Single Six, too. Just a matter of removing the grips and lifting one side of a spring. The odds of you having to go to a gunsmith are actually pretty low. Don't let concerns about the trigger stop you from buying one of the great classic 22s of all time.
Agreed. I have 2 Single Sixes, and a Single Ten. I have done the Poor Boys Trigger Job on all 3. They have a great trigger now. The Single Six/Nine/Ten is a great revolver, built to heirloom quality, and will last for generations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replys guys. I checked out the poor man's trigger job, never seen that before, thanks for all the info. I was considering a S&W 617 also I have other S&W revolvers and love them but I think this will be my first ruger revolver, I've heard great things about them and for $200 less and the ability to shoot mags it seems like a better value.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My wife's got a 39 yo Single Six Convertible that will still shoot 1+" groups at 25 yds off a rest. It's one of the last guns we'd part with. It's a 5.5" barreled model, but I do think a 4-5/8" barrel would be more useful and definitely easier to carry. Rod

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What does a trigger job usually cost on a single six?
Depending on your location, gunsmith time is running between $75-$150/hr. The spring to cut trigger tension is cheaper than the shipping and handling. It takes about an hour to disassemble the SS, hone the trigger/sear surfaces to remove the snags, install the spring, and re-assemble.

A strong feature of Ruger firearms, is they are designed for ease of service and maintenance, and everybody and their brother supplies quality parts to upgrade. You Tube has endless, and often quite good video segments that walk you through.

Accuracy is a combination of what the gun likes, and the user interface. My 70's vintage Stainless SS will threaten the safety of a prairie dog as far out as 100yds, and has many times. Tree rats are in DS at 35yds with a Remington CB.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Can't add much to what has been said, other than I sure like mine. Makes it out to the range every time I go. Accurate, fun, and built very well. Easy to maintain too. A 'several' life-time investment :D . All I shoot in mine is .22LR BTW. Only shot the Mag cylinder once just to see if all was well.... It was...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had one back in the 70s but sold it. Bought a new stainless with 5.5" barrel a couple months ago. Having a lot of fun with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.