Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you single six owners out there what would you recommend for a nice plinker. The five and a half inch barrel or the six and a half.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Personal preference. I like 5 1/2" for all my guns.... But .. my single-six is a 6 1/2" :eek: . Reason being is I got from a private party for a good price for a gun that was rarely shot. Have no problem with 6 1/2" as it shoots very well so really happy with it. Guess what I am saying I see no pro-con for either for plinking. If carrying all the time, the shorter barrels are nice, for a bit more sight radius the longer barrels are nice. Mine is for plinking, so haven't yet carried it on the hip.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a 4⅝" and 2~5½". I like the 4⅝" the best, but the 5½" ones are very nice. The 6½" always seemed too long for my taste, but those are the 2 most popular, the 5½" and 6½" models.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I have the 4 5/8 also. Fabulous. It is much easier to carry around, and it is extremely accurate!

Can't go wrong with any of 'em!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
On the Single-Six I used to have, I liked the balance of the 5.5 inch barrel. There seem to be more holsters made for just the 6.5, though, like the Bianchi Lawman. Something to consider.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I've always gone with 5 1/2".
Just my personal preference.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I recently got a Single Ten which has the 5 1/2 inch barrel. I think it's about the perfect length. Nice balance. I got a holster that fits it nicely from the Ruger website.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
I have the 9 1/2" because I like the longer focal length and the extra velocity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have to worry about carry because I live in Illinois it's one of the great things about this state, I save money not buying holsters, but on a serious note I appreciate the replys. I like the looks of the 5.5 but I might have to go with the 6.5 for the longer sight radius. I don't think I want anything longer it might get too front heavy after that. I want a nice balance on the gun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
For a Single Six & Blackhawk I perfer the 5 1/2 or shorter. Now when we are talking Redhawk, I love my 7 1/2 model (still on the lookout for a good used 4" 45LC model).

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Get one of each ... I did...and I also have a 9 1/2" for "grins" at the range...looks like a "buntline special"...all are great...all are accurate and cheap and reliable....I even got a flatgate but I don't shoot it (did once just to prove everything worked and it's now resting up after a long and fun life having been owned by many folks and shooting lots of small game and targets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my 6.5 inch single six! The sight radius is great but still easy to pack and good velocities with Long Rifle and Magnums enjoy.:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Got a 61/2" just to match my OM .44 Flattop barel legnth, and it grew on me.

Anything shorter or longer just seems odd to me now...never used to be like that. :confused:

I carry it into the woods for plinking in a backpack only, on a quadrunner, and have other guns for holster carry.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you haven't bought it yet...I'd opine that a shorter barrel is better for nearly any purpose, short of "haul it out at the range" use. I'd even suggest 4-5/8" is better than either of the longer ones, and noticeably easier to pack in a waist belt holster.

I think you'll find that the shortest barrel offered by Ruger, is as accurate in actual, off-hand use (but maybe not off a set of sandbags) as either of the longer tubes.

But it also gets down to balance in your hand and I'd say that if the longer tubes balance better for you, you'll probably shoot them better.

In deciding all of this, try the gun as you plan to use it...borrow a holster of the type you intend to use and see if you can sit in any type of seated conveyance without it poking up into your ribs...too, shoot it while standing on your hind legs...as you would if you and your buds were betting on beer...

I think you'll like the 4-5/8" model for these real world uses..(try carrying it a bit in your rear jeans hip pocket...it's a favorite of mine for informal carry here on our farm...it's very comfortable there, and that short barrel keeps it from fallin' out!

Good luck with your purchase and report back on accuracy, fit and finish etc...I for one will be interested to hear about it. Best Regards, Rod

1 - 20 of 21 Posts