Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used Ruger Single Six .22 Old Model from my local gun shop and when looking it up I found that it was a .22 WMR convertible. I've been looking on ebay and various places for a .22 WMR cylinder and see them regularly for about $125-150. My question is - will a cylinder from a new model single six work with my old model with no issues? I figured it would but I'd like to be sure before pulling the trigger on a cylinder.

Also - I ran across this site, has anyone had any experience with them?

He's got replacement Cylinders for $100 bucks but again, I'd like to know that it will work before buying. Any feedback welcome, thanks :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I heard an online drop-in cylinder is a 50/50 possibility of proper function related to timing and head space. Best to contact Ruger and get their thoughts...Luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd think REAL hard about how much 22 mag you're going to shoot before I spent any money on a cylinder.

I've never used the 22 mag cylinder in my SS, nor in any of the three H&R revolvers I have that have them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There was someone on one of these rimfire forums about a week ago that found 2 old single six WMR cylinders in his dad's estate and was inquiring about what they were worth. One was SS and the other was blued. Someone bought the blued one within hours and then the moderator closed the thread for buying/selling outside the classifieds. So know way to know if he still has the SS cylinder. But I think he sold the blued one for around $60.

Streetwalker said:
I've never used the 22 mag cylinder in my SS, nor in any of the three H&R revolvers I have that have them.
I have enough 22lr guns to shoot, so I leave the WMR cylinder in my H&R. So far, it's the only 22 mag I own. Would like to get a Keltek PMR30, but our stupid state legislators don't like "high capacity" mags. :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do use my 22 mag. cylinder on my single six. I use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I figure I own it so why not use it! Now with ammo prices thru the roof, ill try to conserve what little I have. I doubt you can find any 22 mag on the shelf's these day!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,693 Posts
I'm with Streetwalker, I have several Single-Six Convertibles and about the only time I fired them with 22 WMR ammo was when the guns were new .... just to make sure they worked. The very reason why I like 22s is they are much cheaper to shoot. 22 Mags cost as much as 9mm ammo so it is not a cheap gun to shoot.

I chronographed Winchester 40gr 22 WMR in my 6 1/2" Single-Six and found they clock about the same as a 22 LR in a rifle .... about 1200 fps, no big power advantage but they certainly are loud. I own a Winchester Mod 9422M chambered in 22 WMR with a 20 1/2" barrel and it chronos at 1900 fps.

Make sure your Single-Six serial number is higher than 150,000 because earlier S/Ns had .222" bores .... not suitable for .224" jacketed WMR ammo.

Reactions: Streetwalker

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I also have never fired my convertible single-six with the magnum cylinder. Just a lot more noise for no added benefit for my kind of shooting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
22 WMR shoots a much tighter group for me through my single-six but it costs so much more to shoot that I rarely use it. I bought the cylinder separately but was advised about timing issues at the time (20 years ago or so) and while mine worked out, I'd be careful to ensure proper fit before firing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
main thing to remember is the cylinder that is NOW in your gun, and the NEW One has to be the same ,overall length..........once one has been fitted to a gun, it should be close, and will work, but if too long will NOT fit and if too short...head space, misfires, cylinder gap,,,timing etc...lots of issues may be UNSAFE>>>>>

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,693 Posts
Besides the overall length that rugerguy covered, which dictates endshake, the cylinder's body must also be the same length to control the B/C gap. Likewise, the ratchet column must be the proper length to control headspace. If all three of these are in spec, that only leaves timing, which is usually not a problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There was another post where a guy bought an older 3 screw Single Six & wanted to get the 2nd cylinder. I forget whether he already had the .22 lr or magnum. As I recall, the final word from Ruger service was that they would sell him the 2nd cylinder, but that the gun & BOTH cylinders would require fitting at the factory. Plus, the transfer bar conversion would be mandatory (with return of old parts). The quoted price was somewhat high.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My question is - will a cylinder from a new model single six work with my old model with no issues?
Very small test.

My buddy and I both purchased a SS Convertible in stainless at the same time at a LGS. Cleaning them at the same time, I found that the cylinders from one would drop in to the frame of the other. The reverse not.

If you really want the convertible option, probably best to have Ruger do it for you.

I do use my magnum cylinder though. I shoot the ammo that my CZ 455 doesn't like. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts