Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to tweaking one of my SP101's. It shot a little low and left with the 125gr loads that seem to have replaced the 158gr loads at the stores in my area. First I bobbed the hammer by cutting it off with a dremel wheel. I left a fair amount of nub on it as I haven't decided how it will look best and I wanted maximum mass on the hammer. It may be sculpted later.
It shoots Remington UMC +P 125gr SJHP 100 packs from Wally's into 2 to 3" groups at 25 yds which is as good as my eyes will allow using iron sights. I then filed 7 thousands off the top of the blade to get the groups up. I still shot an inch and a half left. I debated sending the revolver back to Ruger.
I removed the front blade, it is pinned in well, I bent one punch. I could clearly see where the blade sat in the dovetail. I taped up to that line and carefully, I mean carefully, filed 6 thousands off the right side of the blade.
After rebluing and installation you don't notice the modification. Now it shoots exactly point of aim to point of impact with my carry ammo. Best group, 2 1/4" at 25 yds. Next project, home made grip slabs. Lister

 

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
Joined
·
16,476 Posts
A great report! Glad the SP-101 is working well for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
nice work down there. And a good report. Looking forward to seeing the grip work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Good report.

By the way maximum mass on the hammer is a misconception. You will actually get more energy from the hammer the lighter it is.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top