Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

For my SP101, I bought the Hogue Monogrip, which is very nice. It is probably the best grip for this little revolver - for shooting. As many of you know, it isn't really as good as the factory grip for carrying concealed.

So, probably the best option for carrying concealed would be the factory grips. A couple of days ago, I ordered a set of Badger boot grips(will post photos when I get them). These are the "pretty" grips , might be good for carrying concealed, we will see. So there are compromises all around.

I had also bought a set of "ebay" grip panels, for the factory grips. They look nice, but are a little thicker than the factory panels, thus widening the grip.

Now, to the point of the thread. I didn't really like the holes in the panels where the screw entered one side and screws into the other. The way the hardware is "raised" on the panels. So I took my dremel with a barrel grinding bit and took down the raised area's on both panels, so no it is flush with the rest of the surface. I then sanded it down by hand to blend in better. Next I changed to a polish wheel on the dremel and some jewelers rouge.

I also had to file down the screw head to lay flush into the grip. Now my grip panels are nice and smooth, not digging into the palm of my hand. I'm sorry I didn't take photos of the before.

***ETA***: Here is a before photo I found.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Very nice work! And please let us know how the Badger grips perform. No matter how happy I am w/ my SP101, I can't seem to stop tinkering ...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm so glad to finally see someone else do something about that skin digging raised edge on the factory plastic panels. That drove me nuts on the GP100 compact grip to the point I ordered a wood set of inserts. While I was waiting on them I got the idea of doing the same thing as the OP did. I never had the guts to try it for risk of ruining them. Now I think I'm going to give it a try after all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That does look good!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well done!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts