Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ruger sp101 would jam (lock up) after running one maybe two cylinders through it.
Close inspection and some investigation I figured that it was the forcing cone was expanding from the heat.
The cylender would not turn but maybe half way to the next chambered round. (New out of the box)
I would clean it and it still did this.
I decided to use a very very fine file, one made for filing key ways, (smooth on one edge so not to take any off the bottom edge of the frame above the cylinder)
After a few times out to the range it functions flawlessly. Last time out I was able to go through more than fifty rounds without any issue.
I have read that I am not the only one with this issue, ruger makes the gap very tight.
Now when I hold it up to a light source I can see the gap but not without moving it around a bit, and at that it is very small.
Any thoughts???

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
A couple questions:
How old is the SP101, is this a recent thing or since new?
What caliber is the SP101?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was new ot of the box, the gap was extremity narrow. When ot would do this if I turned ot by hand with a slight bit of pressure backwards it would turn. It was just catching on the forcing cone when it was hot and expanded from the heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple questions:
How old is the SP101, is this a recent thing or since new?
What caliber is the SP101?
It was new ot of the box, the gap was extremity narrow. When ot would do this if I turned ot by hand with a slight bit of pressure backwards it would turn. It was just catching on the forcing cone when it was hot and expanded from the heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I had a similar issue with my SP101...turns out it was ammo grit under the ejector star. A quick brush off with an old toothbrush took care of it.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
I had a similar issue with my SP101...turns out it was ammo grit under the ejector star. A quick brush off with an old toothbrush took care of it.
When I've had revolvers bind up that is usually the case. 22 revolvers tend to be more prone to it.

OP: I'd be very careful filing metal. If something under the extractor is causing it to bind there is now going to be a much larger gap to the forcing cone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I've had revolvers bind up that is usually the case. 22 revolvers tend to be more prone to it.

OP: I'd be very careful filing metal. If something under the extractor is causing it to bind there is now going to be a much larger gap to the forcing cone.
Checking under the extractor star was something I did and brushed it out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have a lcr and a colt cobra and both han a larger gap than the 101. I don't plan on giving it a steady diet of 357s just due to the cost. Plus p will be the most I run through it

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dam that's the first the time I've read that happened on a forum. You got to figure with this virus they are probably working hard to get guns out.
Good you were able to remedy the issue. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dam that's the first the time I've read that happened on a forum. You got to figure with this virus they are probably working hard to get guns out.
Good you were able to remedy the issue. Happy shooting.
I really believe it was the forcing cone, that's where I ended up focusing on and the problem is gone.
I like shooting at golf ball's and if I can hit a inch or two around the ball at 7 yards I'm doing good which I am.
Besides it gives a new meaning to the phase shooting golf.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you are right. I had the same issue several years ago, with a brand new .357 SP101. I tried all the cleaning tips, nothing worked. I measured the BC gap with a set of feeler gauges, it is was WAY too tight, according to the specs. I don't remember the numbers, just that it was too tight.
I used real fine emery paper glued to a popsicle stick (I use that a lot in my fishing rod building) and brought it up to spec. Haven't had the first problem since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts