Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded into a really nice Speed Six 9mm today. Any insights on this model would be greatly appreciated. I imagine that +P and +P+ rounds would be safe being this is a Security Six Frame?
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, great find!
I would think it could handle +p and +p+ stuff. Unless +p+ is higher pressure then .357 mag. Those model are pretty rare though, if it were me I would stick with standard pressure rounds. No point a accelerating the wear on a discontinued model IMO.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice find..... :D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Cool! I really doubt a 9mm +P is hotter than a .357 mag. If it were mine, I'd shoot them in it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Great find! 9mm ammo is relatively inexpensive that means more shooting :D.

All the Six models, that I know of, were built on the 357 frame.
The max SAAMI pressure for the 357 = 35,000 psi
The max SAAMI pressure for the 9mm+p = 38,500 psi

SAAMI pressure specs

Be careful! The 9mm+p is not the same as the 38+p. The smaller case can be decieving.

To bring a 9mm to higher velocity a faster burning powder is needed due to case capacity, this in turn creates a higher pressure. A 357 can create a higher velocity at a lower pressures, because of it's larger case. The slower burning powders distribute the pressure throughout the chamber and barrel rather than in one tight spot. Having more case volume allows you to use more "slower" burning powder. That is why you see so much fire from magnum loads in a 357 snub (powder still burning).

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it makes you feel better you can give Ruger a phone call. But I wouldn't worry about the +P ammo. As we all know, Ruer has some of the strongest revolvers made. Take it on out for a test drive! Ray

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love mine, congrats on a great gun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have had no problems running +P ammo in mine... and honestly the guns really likes it. There is another thread in this section where alot of people have shown pics of their 9mm Speed Sixs they are truely fun to shoot and very reliable

·
Registered
332 Posts
The slower burning powders distribute the pressure throughout the chamber and barrel rather than in one tight spot. Having more case volume allows you to use more "slower" burning powder. That is why you see so much fire from magnum loads in a 357 snub (powder still burning).
In other words a snubby, to a significant degree, negates the 357's awesomeness?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Mine's not a Six series 9mm but I have fired +p rounds through my 9mm SP101 and have seen no ill effects.

I mostly stick to standard factory loads just for costs sake.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I also have one and recently passed up a blued model in excellent condition. Kicking myself now but didn't want to pay the extra 3% for using a credit card. I thought it would still be there when I went back with cash. The 3% only added $18.

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
I found one about a month ago......I don't think I would shoot +p.....not that it wouldn't handle it, if I want more power, I'll just shoot a larger caliber.........nice firearm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sweet! On my wish list. Nice find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts