1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woop woop! .. just made the last payment' & picked up' my new
Ruger Speed Six' last night, (still all giddy with new gun lust)*
38' spc .. 2-3/4" & in beautiful like new condition' $350.oo total
Will try to get some pics of her this weekend.

I was wondering if its ok to use +P ammo?
No mention of it on gun or in manual.
& if any of you "Ruger 6" enthusiests would have a clue as to
the manufacture date? # (159-85756)
Thanks for lookin.

~ Joe

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It'll take any .38 Special ammo. I mean any normal, safe commercial loads. This is not a suggestion to load hyper handloads.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congrats on your Speed Six. And yes all the six series of revolvers will handle any factory 38 +P ammo. They are strong revolvers and yours might out live you!
Give her a good cleaning and take it to the range.
Good luck,
Howard

·
Registered
292 Posts
You'll be splitting cases before you damage that Six.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey' Thanks fella's very much for the info & links*
You guy's are a wealth of knowledge!
I can't wait to take her out for a spin' this weekend.

~ Joe

1 -

2 -

Thanks again*

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
WOW :eek:
Nice Rosco you got there buddy. Your pics are nothing to sneeze at either.

The Six Series. Classy, durable, and just plain good lookin!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great looking gun. Enjoy! When I got my 357 Service Six it didn't come with a manual. So I called Ruger and asked them to send me one. While I was on the phone with them I asked to be transferred so I could ask that same question about the 357. The Guy was very polite but I could hear a little "lightness" in his voice, almost a chuckle, when I asked him the same question. His answer was essentially that the six's were built to handle any new factory loads. I think it will shoot loads stronger than my old wrist would want to shoot.
There is always good advice here. When in doubt give Ruger a call.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys :) .. I just found out there's a gun show out at the fair grounds
this weekend, got to get her some decent leather' .. Im thinkin I could probly
use it's holster for my pre-war m&p snubby as well (k-frame 2')
I like the feel of these stock grips just fine*

~ Joe

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks like you found yourself a nice little piece of perfection there Joe! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
"New" Speed Six 357

Hi - I am new here. Hope this does not constitute a hijacking of the thread. I just brought home a 1980 vintage stainless Speed Six in 357 mag. It is in very good shape overall for a 32 year old gun! But, I can turn the cylinder by hand one stop at a time in the direction opposite the trigger advance when the cylinder is locked into the frame. Is this the way it should be, or did somebody mess with the cylinder stop lever? It locks up with a little play when the hammer is cocked - which I take it is normal. I will try to post a photo - sweet little wheel gun. Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cylinder can move backward

Found a thread on the GunBroker forum about this. Apparently this is not that uncommon. Now that I look at what's going on, when the hammer is in its "resting" position, the pawl that pushes on the ratchet to advance the cylinder is retracted into the frame. As a result, there is nothing to keep me from turning the cylinder backward as the cylinder locking pawl can just slide up the shallow side of the cylinder stop indentations on the cylinder. I have the feeling that someone filed on the stop pawl a little to make the action smoother. Guess I will have to check Numrich or one of the other parts websites and try a new stop lever/pawl to see if this still happens. Does not happen when the action is operating because the cylinder ratchet pawl is extended from the frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.. Thanks again to all my friends here for the info' & nice welcome*
I'm really like'n this place.

~ Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
congrats on the speed six

Congratulation on the Speed Six. Everybody seems to love them. Too bad they are out of production. I searched and searched for a revolver for woods carry when I am hunting with my single shot. Had to be reasonably light, but tough enough to take some fairly stout loads like the Double Tap 180 grain hardcast 357s. I originally was looking for a light weight 44 mag, but the only ones I could find were made by Taurus (should I duck now?), which I think are a hit or miss proposition. So I finally settled on the Speed Six 357: at 33 oz. with a 4-inch barrel, it pretty much fit the bill. Where I hunt, the woods are thick with black bears. What black bears no threat? Last year my neighbor at our place up on the mountain side had a deer down with a bow. He was walking toward the carcass when a large black bear came down the slope and grabbed his deer by the neck, dragging it down the mountain side. POed, my neighbor pursued making lots of noise and waving his hands. The bear stopped at a log, pounded and huffed and then false charged him - the bear got the deer. But the potential for conflict is there. They are smart, opportunistic scavengers. Anyway, sweet little gun. Congrats. Photo of my "new" Six below.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
FWIW, I fixed the backroll problem. I replaced the cylinder latch with a new one from Numrich. Got everything back together and stil had the problem. Then I saw how wide the crease between the trigger guard and the frame was. One tap with a rubber mallet and voila :D problem solved. No more backroll. The new cylinder latch and actually having the trigger guard/group fully SEATED eliminated the backroll! Duh!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts