Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bidding on a Ruger Speed Six at present. Bid is up to $400. Gun is in excellent condition...almost new/fired a few times. What do you think it is worth? How high should I go...feedback?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My favorite revolver ever was a 4" stainless Speed-Six...I loved the iron sights and with Packy grips it fit me like a second skin...I'd give $450 for a 4" like I had...maybe 350 for a 2 3/4"...I wouldn't give but 300 for a blued one either length...it's a fine revolver....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The speed six is a great firearm, but I think I would slide if that one is at 400. There are
plenty more of them out there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sometimes logic will fly out the window or get twisted if you want something bad enough. Just depends on how bad you want it and what will it be worth to you.
One side of the coin says you can do better and to shop around for a better deal on a discontinued gun made by the thousands.
The other side says a high quality like new .357 for $400 is a steal considering a new current production smith or gp costs over $500.
Decisions, decisions.
I really do feel your pain.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...my first weapon was a Speed Six. I left my bid at $400 and it is still standing...I will not go higher after listening to your counsel...thanx. Still...it really is the perfect carry weapon for my 5'8" 175 lb frame. I want to shoot .357 mag...I feel a SP01 is just a bit smaller than I want (I already have a S&W 642 J frame) and I think the new 3 inch barrel GP100 might just be a teeny-weeny bit large. The blued short barrel Speed Six is juuuuusssst right. I really want this weapon...for OWB/IWB carry.

Here's what it looks like...2 inch barrel?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
2 3/4" and the cutest butt ever put on a Ruger..fits like another finger..hope you get it....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes...I plan on putting Tyler (T-grigs) on it...send it off to Gemini customs for a new crowning, trigger work,moon clips made etc., get me a Kramer OWB holster...and have me a fine new carry piece.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would stop at $400 as there is some still out there for a better price. You can get a new in the box SP-101 for that kind of money. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Looks to be in great condition. I can see why you are tempted as it is in-between the sp and gp series in size. Wood grips and a tyler-t would make for a cling free grip and a smooth draw.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baldy: The SP101 is a J frame on steroids...the Speed Six is a larger platform...but just a tad bit smaller than a S&W K frame. Many, myself included, have felt that the Speed Six/Security Six series were the "perfect" size/weight/ergo for the .357 mag bullet. Bottom line...it really is a superior gun to the SP101. Alas, I dropped out of the bidding at $435. I was bidding on gunbroker.com. Damn...I feel like I lost a kid. Ah well, I will keep my eyes open and there is, after all, a major gun show coming to my location in WA in August. I really wanted a SS model...but a blued version really does look nice. Ah well, win some...lose some.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
dawgfvr , Maybe you should look for a new stainless GP with the short grip-bout the same size
as the Security six. It would hold up finish-wise better'in the blued. Then just keep lookin
fer the blued S-six later "just to have".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jaredshs: I like the way you think! I think that will be the plan...the 3 inch barrel GP100 is definitely a purdy model...and I think it could take to concealed carry quite readily.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Mr.Dawgfvr I am sorry that you didn't get that little jewel. I have owned the SP101 and also have two Ruger Security-Sixs and you are right about the weight difference as it is about 3ozs. The SP101/3" barrel goes at 27ozs and the SS at 23/4" goes at about 30ozs. They are both fine shooting revolvers. The GP 100 3" is about is about 34ozs. For IWB carry you want to stay as light as possible or I should as close to 20ozs as you can. I don't much care for the S&W TI's and such. Keep digging at pawn shops and such and you'll find one. I am looking too. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts