Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sitting in the local gun shop yesterday when the guy in the little brown truck delivers a brand new Ruger SR-22. The gun was a huge disappointment. It was like the trigger spring was broken or was not installed. We field stripped the gun and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. We promptly boxed it back up and sent it back to the warehouse. Has anybody else had this problem with the SR-22? Was it just a fluke or is there an obvious mechanical or quality control on this model?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I could be wrong, but from your description it sounds as though you might not have had a magazine in the gun. The SR22 actually has three safeties, one of which is the magazine safety. See page 7 in the manual.

In any case, I'm sure Ruger will make it right...

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I could'nt be happier.:D

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sounds completely normal for an SR22 without a mag inserted or with the safety on. If the mag is not in the trigger just goes back against the stop and stays there, with the mag in and the safety on, the trigger has no resistance but will come back forward.
I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with the gun.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Shame that it may have all been a wasted exercise.
Surprised though that the LGS was not up to speed with the gun. :eek:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yep Got two of them No mag in trigger limp like it's not connected. Mag in saftey on A little more spring to the trigger. Mag in saftey off double action trigger. There was probably not a thing wrong with that gun. Did the guy in the gun store ever see one before? That's to bad they're sweet little plinkers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I sitting in the local gun shop yesterday when the guy in the little brown truck delivers a brand new Ruger SR-22. The gun was a huge disappointment. It was like the trigger spring was broken or was not installed. We field stripped the gun and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. We promptly boxed it back up and sent it back to the warehouse. Has anybody else had this problem with the SR-22? Was it just a fluke or is there an obvious mechanical or quality control on this model?
I have this problem everytime a mag isn't inserted. It'll probably be a little while before your LGS gets another SR-22, his distributor will ship them to people who know what they're doing. Plus it's a hard to find pistol now

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I too had a problem with the first SR22 my LGS sold me. It would not dry fire with either mag inserted. One mag would not loat up, it was crimped too close. Gun would not fire with loaded mag inserted. For some reason the loaded mag would not release the trigger safety. Sent it back and new SR22 in one week delivered to LGS. The new SR22 has not had one hickup/problem close to 1,000 rounds so far. Great gun and has shot every bit of ammo inserted from some old expert, federal, remington 333, etc. The only problem I have had has been ammo related.
Do read some of the older threads about problems with the SR22 magazines. Some times the internals are installed upside down and cause problems.
New gun may take a while to get it is a popular model.
Enjoy it when it does come in.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yep sounds like what most are saying on here....No mag inserted causes limp trigger. Weird that the LGS would not pick up on this. I even researched the gun before I bought it. I looked it up on Youtube and read up on the manual.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yep sounds like what most are saying on here....No mag inserted causes limp trigger. Weird that the LGS would not pick up on this. I even researched the gun before I bought it. I looked it up on Youtube and read up on the manual.
What a novel idea read the manual. If I was working in a LGS I'd be reading the manual for every gun I could. The guy in the gun store should have looked at it before. Senting the gun back as defective. No?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
The manual would have explained that. :-(

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The magazine was inserted. It did not change the trigger problem at all. We fooled with it for a good while. The trigger would never engage the trigger spring. We even loaded and inserted the magazine with no change. It was if the trigger spring was broken or not installed.

Since you brought up the safeties.All those redundant safety features are ridiculous. If you haven't got enough sense to handle a gun safely without them you shouldn't have access to them in my opinion. This not only goes for the SR-22 or Rugers but every handgun manufactured.

Redundant safeties raise the price and complexities of guns and make them an absolute pain to shoot. I own a Late 60s Mark I and a brand new Mark III. The Mark I is great as is the Mark III with the exception of the added safeties.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Redundant safeties raise the price and complexities of guns and make them an absolute pain to shoot. I own a Late 60s Mark I and a brand new Mark III. The Mark I is great as is the Mark III with the exception of the added safeties.
Perhaps. But when serious injury and possible death is involved... in any field really.... that's what double/triple redundancies are for. A minor inconvenience for some, but a life saver for others.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The magazine was inserted. It did not change the trigger problem at all. We fooled with it for a good while. The trigger would never engage the trigger spring. We even loaded and inserted the magazine with no change. It was if the trigger spring was broken or not installed.
That information would have been useful in your original post.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope the folks at Ruger tell you what the problem was. I really like this gun but for me, reliability is first and for most.

Let us know what Ruger has to say. Enquiring minds want to know.:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have no issues with my SR22 at the moment with 500 rounds through it in just a month.
Love it and hope mine stays trouble-free with future range visits!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this problem everytime a mag isn't inserted. It'll probably be a little while before your LGS gets another SR-22, his distributor will ship them to people who know what they're doing. Plus it's a hard to find pistol now
KYGuns have them in stock, $218 w/ free shipping IIRC?

Just picked mine up yesterday. What a sweetheart!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.