Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just recently bought a Ruger SL 22 LR It’s been quite awhile since I’ve used a pistol, but I familiar with the basics.
My questions is I purchased this gun for self defence, because I happen to like the feel the confidence it gives me, I feel this gun is under rated for self defence, so could some kind person please direct me into the right direction or recommendations on ammo to use for self defence.. I've heard about stinger as a good ammo but according to Ruger they don't recommend using stinger in this model.. I recently purchased Winchester X22LRH SuperX 22LR 37 GR HP 50 Rounds but uncertain if this world do any damage to soft tissue.. I'm quite worried if things to come so im preparing.

Thank you
Jb. 8/4/20

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello, I just recently bought a Ruger SL 22 LR It’s been quite awhile since I’ve used a pistol, but I familiar with the basics.
My questions is I purchased this gun for self defence, because I happen to like the feel the confidence it gives me, I feel this gun is under rated for self defence, so could some kind person please direct me into the right direction or recommendations on ammo to use for self defence.. I've heard about stinger as a good ammo but according to Ruger they don't recommend using stinger in this model.. I recently purchased Winchester X22LRH SuperX 22LR 37 GR HP 50 Rounds but uncertain if this world do any damage to soft tissue.. I'm quite worried if things to come so im preparing.
Thank you
Jb. 8/4/20
Welcome to the forum a lot of experienced gun folks here ready to help you. To start yes the 22 caliber is marginal for self defense but you already have bought it so it is what it is. The main thing you need to do is practice with it until you feel comfortable with it and you can hit what you are shooting at out to at least 21 feet. For the most part the general consensus is that CCI Mini Mags will typically run the best in most guns but each gun has it's own personality so you might have to try a couple different brands to see what your gun likes best. CCI makes a 36 grain hollow point which is about as good as it gets for a 22 defense round.

When you find the ammo that will feed, fire and eject reliably then run a couple hundred rounds through your gun to break it in and make sure that it functions good enough to trust your life to it. After that I would suggest going to the range once a month or more if you can and practicing with it. Then pray you never have to use it in a real life or death situation.

Good luck with your gun and training.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
SL 22 lr? I googled it & SR22 came up, is that the model? Don’t have one but CCI Mini Mags are probably the most consistent .22lr ammo out there. A buddy of mine had bad luck with Winchester.22lr ammo & read a lot of bad reviews on Winchester.22lr ammo, particularly the Super X .22lr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe you meant SR not SL. SR-22 = rifle and SR22 = pistol

Here is a review of the SR22 Ruger SR22 Rimfire Pistol Review: A Formidable Firearm

One of the first things that I do when I buy a new pistol is get to know it BEFORE I shoot it.

You need to be very proficient field stripping your new pistol. (you want to be safe if you have a problem at the range)

Learn how to clean and lubricate it properly. Too much lube is not good.

Find all the sharp edges and polish those areas. Make sure the magazine followers are smooth when depressed.
Feel for sharp to the touch areas around the mag opening and polish the sharpness off. ( smooth feeding means less jams).

Many owners rely on shooting a few hundred rounds to break it in but if you polish the sharp to the touch areas you will break it in without firing a shot.

What do I mean by polishing? Use 800 grit wet and dry to take the sharpness off that's all. Don't sand medal or plastic off just take the sharpness to the touch off.

You should be ok with the Super X ammo.

For the first 50 rounds I like to use a more powerful round like the CCI segmented hollow points with the 1640 muzzle velocity.
Segmented Hollow Point 22 LR

Caliber22 LR
Bullet Weight32
Bullet StyleSegmented Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity1640
Ballistic Coefficient.084
Package Quantity50

Watch some of these Paul Harrell videos on the .22 cal.

Paul's videos are some of the best ones to watch.
Paul Harrell
You picked a Nice weapon for your first one!! Be safe!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like others have surmised, I'm guessing you have a semiautomatic pistol. The Single Action sub forum is intended for discussion of "cowboy" style revolvers. I'm sure that one of the moderators will move the thread to the proper place. The best advice is to shoot various 38 to 40 grain high velocity hollow point loads to see what's accurate and reliable in your pistol. The shooting will familiarize you with the gun, break in the action, and prove the reliability of the pistol/ammo combination. Keep the handgun clean, the .22lr is a dirty round. There is no magic ammo. The .22lr is a small game round best suited for rabbits and squirrels. It will certainly deter an attacker however. Expect to shoot multiple times. A good mindset would be to plan to fire three shots to center of mass if forced to shoot, before evaluating whether to retreat or to re-engage.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,721 Posts
Greetings from Ohio. Welcome to the forum. If you are referring to the SR22.
1.) Good advice here. Read-> Post#3 "When you find the ammo that will feed, fire and eject reliably then run a couple hundred rounds through your gun to break it in and make sure that it functions good enough to trust your life to it."
2.) My SR22 cycles well with this ammo. Use what works. Practice shooting double tap drills at center mass for SD.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
My practice or range ammo:
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
You can try other ammo for self defense but only trust your life to what cycles in your firearm.
3.) Take the time to get out and practice. Get help if needed. Update us on what you come with and remember there are many firearms on the market that may fit your needs. Keep at it and make it fun but get to know your firearm. Good luck and glad to have you here on the forum. Do NOT be afraid to ask questions.
Rick

Reactions: MillSplat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all . yes I meant a Ruger SR 22 LR ( long rifle) I'm a senior now
So I can honestly say i do need a refresher course. I will definitely follow everyone's advice to get out and use my gun. I chose the Ruger due to arthritis hands RA, I was hoping when I purchased it I would never need it and should I need it, at least I didn't just stand there with no chance at all.. I figured I would aim for the throat or face as bad as that sound, that's what I thought.
knowing that I couldn't handle a 9mm due to the difficulty with the spring I would be wasting my time with my life so I feel in good with that choice of pistol!
I will try all the ammo you mentioned. Some ammo not available ? out of stock, so I thank you I will post an update
as soon as I'm able to get to a shooting range. I'm definitely slower than I use to be.
Blessings and thank you!
Joann

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Hi Joann and welcome to the forum. (I'm a senior, too.)

Yes, I agree on CCI Mini Mags. For us, they're consistently the most accurate and most reliable high velocity 22 LRs I've ever used. As target shooters, we shoot mostly standard velocity ammo, but we always keep some Mini Mags on hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joann, NCG's advice on the mini-mags is good (you want reliability). Having read a few Doctors opinions on .22 wounds, they think that a solid does more damage than a HP, due to it ricocheting around in the body. So, two or three hits center of mass is likely to be better than an attempt at a smaller target like the throat!
The .22 is at it's deadliest when held against the body when the trigger is pulled. The shock from the gases going into the body is very traumatic & should drop a person at least for awhile.
Like a fire extinguisher, You hope that you never need to use it, but if you do, you need to have confidence that you can work it!
Being older, just means that you have to adjust a little. I don't shoot my big boomers much anymore & get much more enjoyment out of the smaller calibers.
Though I did shoot one round out of my 1.62" caliber pistol this AM (41mm), just to see if it still worked like I remembered.:eek:

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
My wife carries a Smith&Wesson .22 revolver. We have been very pleased with CCI ammunition. She has not had any misfires or problems with CCI.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Joann, NCG's advice on the mini-mags is good (you want reliability). Having read a few Doctors opinions on .22 wounds, they think that a solid does more damage than a HP, due to it ricocheting around in the body. So, two or three hits center of mass is likely to be better than an attempt at a smaller target like the throat!
The .22 is at it's deadliest when held against the body when the trigger is pulled. The shock from the gases going into the body is very traumatic & should drop a person at least for awhile.
Like a fire extinguisher, You hope that you never need to use it, but if you do, you need to have confidence that you can work it!
Being older, just means that you have to adjust a little. I don't shoot my big boomers much anymore & get much more enjoyment out of the smaller calibers.
Though I did shoot one round out of my 1.62" caliber pistol this AM (41mm), just to see if it still worked like I remembered.:eek:
For me the purpose of a gun in a self defense situation is to keep as much distance as possible between me and whoever is trying to do harm to me. Older people are generally softer targets if the attacker is younger, faster and probably stronger. The closer an attacker gets it is easier to disarm a gun if the good person hesitates for a second. I have a mental red line that if an attacker crosses that is the time I would fire and would never try to put a gun against an attacker before I pulled the trigger. Just my .02 for what it is worth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats on getting a cool gun. I really like mine now, I was uncertain about it at first but it really grew on me. I had to send mine back to Ruger because dry fire practice peened the chamber even though the manual states it’s OK with this model. I no longer dry fire it and don’t recommend it. As far as ammo for defense CCI mini mags or Velocitors would be my choice. The difference in actual velocity between the high velocity and hyper velocity ammo is minimal in these short barrel pistols. The main thing is getting an ammo that feeds and fires reliably and has enough power to cycle the slide. I find copper plated ammo feeds better than lead round nose in my gun.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Joann Barile said:
I've heard about stinger as a good ammo but according to Ruger they don't recommend using stinger in this model.
Stingers are what Ruger names as what not to use, but they really mean ANY hyper-velocity (over 1300fps) ammo. The problem with hyper-v ammo is it produces a very high impulse energy that sends the bolt/slide back far faster than normal. This beats the snot out of semi-autos, and I've read of people needing their SR22 replaced due to the damage caused after less than 50 rounds of Stingers. Hyper-v ammo should be reserved for locked breech firearms.

Of course, each gun will tolerate a certain amount of abuse before it breaks. But who knows how much YOUR particular gun will take? It's a risk I won't take with my semi-autos.

As far as ammo choice for self defense, there is none that's ideal for a small bore rimfire. But the most important aspect is that it fires every time and cycles the pistol without jamming. Any CCI product is more reliable than the rest in most people's experience. I've never encountered a failure with CCI products stonger than Quiets (too weak to cycle reliably).

Bullet style is the other main consideration. The main styles are solid point, hollow point, fragmenting, and bird shot. Each is designed with particular effects in mind. Solid points are for deep penetration, hollow points are for energy transfer, fragmenting are for cutting blood vessels, and bird shot is for inducing shock thru surface damage.

Solid is a good choice for breaking/penetrating bones (like the skull). But over-penetration is a concern for self defense. You don't want the bullet hitting someone beyond the attacker after it passes thru a chest without hitting any bones.

Hollow points expand, slow, and create a shock wave channel as it passes thru soft tissue. A bigger channel induces more neural shock and is why larger calibers are preferred for self defense.

Fragmenting bullets create multiple wound channels and increase the likelihood that a critical organ or blood vessel gets cut. It also makes recovery less likely if the perp does make it to the operating table. A surgeon would have more wounds to try to stop bleeding before blood loss kills the creep.

Bird shot is amazingly effective at inducing neural shock, even without a lot of penetration. A close range blast of #12 bird shot to the face is going to take the fight out of any attacker pretty quickly. It may not kill them, but a couple pellets in the eye will put them in Brail mode instantly. I wouldn't count on such small shot for stopping an attacker when applied anywhere except the face. It just won't do enough muscle damage like a shotgun size blast will do.

So I think if I were carrying a .22lr for self defense, I'd have bird shot in the chamber and Mini-Mag HPs in the magazine. Just my thinking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome-
I own an SR 22 and love it, I keep Stingers in it, just in case I need the "hope never happens" situation, but I shoot CCI and Remington Gold at the range. I own about 17 Ruger firearms and the SR22 rates with the best. Shoot often and remember to keep it clean

·
Registered
332 Posts
For me the purpose of a gun in a self defense situation is to keep as much distance as possible between me and whoever is trying to do harm to me. Older people are generally softer targets if the attacker is younger, faster and probably stronger. The closer an attacker gets it is easier to disarm a gun if the good person hesitates for a second. I have a mental red line that if an attacker crosses that is the time I would fire and would never try to put a gun against an attacker before I pulled the trigger. Just my .02 for what it is worth.
I am glad I got to your post, before I started mine. Good correction on what I consider bad advice in another post.

My wife has poor hand strength also. I am leaving my opinion on .22 LR as a self defense gun out of this. But wifey has a small 5-shot .38 caliber revolver. No issue with racking slides or having a potentially easily discharged weapon if you are not familiar with operation of the SR-22.

Good luck and welcome to the fourm Ms. Barile

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ms. Barile, here is another thought for you. Go to Youtube and look for Paul Harrell. He is a very down to earth blogger that in my opinion is really the only one worth listening to about self defense. He has done several very good videos on 22LR for defense. What works, what you can expect, ammo, etc.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am glad I got to your post, before I started mine. Good correction on what I consider bad advice in another post.
Yea, don't want to hijack this thread and get it going on self defense but if an attacker is armed with a knife you are in deep do do if you let him get in close to you. Their is a 21 foot rule about attackers with knives and unless you are pretty proficient with a gun the attacker can close the 21 feet and be on you before you can shoot him. Distance if your friend if you are being attacked.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stingers are what Ruger names as what not to use, but they really mean ANY hyper-velocity (over 1300fps) ammo.
Curious where they state this? The only thing I noticed in the manual is they don’t recommend hyper velocity ammo through their suppressor. Of course your advice makes sense and the manual doesn’t always give good advice; for instance the manual states the gun is designed to dry fire, but dry firing my gun peened the chamber and rendered it inoperable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you all . yes I meant a Ruger SR 22 LR ( long rifle) I'm a senior now
So I can honestly say i do need a refresher course. I will definitely follow everyone's advice to get out and use my gun. I chose the Ruger due to arthritis hands RA, I was hoping when I purchased it I would never need it and should I need it, at least I didn't just stand there with no chance at all.. I figured I would aim for the throat or face as bad as that sound, that's what I thought.
knowing that I couldn't handle a 9mm due to the difficulty with the spring I would be wasting my time with my life so I feel in good with that choice of pistol!
I will try all the ammo you mentioned. Some ammo not available ? out of stock, so I thank you I will post an update
as soon as I'm able to get to a shooting range. I'm definitely slower than I use to be.
Blessings and thank you!
Joann

1 - 20 of 25 Posts