Ruger Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sell guns for a living. The only reason I never suggest a .22 is the reliability of the ammo. I have had too many duds to rely on the ammo. I do realize that the higher grade Winchester and CCI ammo is more reliable than other options.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I sell guns for a living. The only reason I never suggest a .22 is the reliability of the ammo. I have had too many duds to rely on the ammo.
With at least 95% of .22 pistols in stock configuration, I'd agree that reliability can be an issue. However, I believe the main problem is with the pistols themselves and not with the ammo. My mostly stock MKII has a failure rate of about 1/1000 rounds of common bulk ammo. But my optimized MKIII has over 30,000 consecutive rounds of the same ammo with ZERO failures. This reliability rate is certainly on par with (or better than) most centerfire pistols. But centerfire is normally more reliable out of the box.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Word of warning. I had to carry the SR-22 for a while. If you load and unload the ammo from the gun and rechamber a few times, the soft bullet will deform and cause malfunctions. Been there done that. Worked after reloading with fresh.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Joann, In the past I have carried a 22 for self defense and felt good about it. As stated above find a good round carry it and practice with it. Find a target that shows human organs and aim center mass. See how many rounds you can put in the heart, It sounds brutal but what the bad guy is planning is also brutal. I wish you the best young lady.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts