So far:

Stark Equipment SE-2 AR-15 Sling Grip
Stark Equipment SE-4 Compact Forward Grip
Vortex Strike Fire Red Dot Scope
Surefire G2 Defender Flashlight
Magpul Gen2 Magazine
OD Generic Rail Cover
Ruger Rails

I have an OD Bravo Sopmod stock inbound and a Gieselle trigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Super Tanker:

get your rail issue settled? yes from Ruger only ... guards for the handguards are little strips that go on with nylon screws.

Decided against large rails (though I bought a 9") due to weight. Used one for a sling attach near gas block. trying to keep weight down since added the Gen 3 HD7 with magnifier. Now 9.8# as shown.

After original cleanup with CLP to the firearm out of the box, a word on trigger: add shooter Choice red synthetic grease to the sear and it sweetens up fine.

Also to lightly to bearing surfaces: charging handle top, lightly to bolt carrier, locking lugs of bolt, cam pin, half moon recess in upper, threads and detent pin of buffer tube.

Breakfree or Slip CLP to surfaces and to springs, if necessary.

As this gun runs so cool and clean, wear is really the issue for maintenance. I am sold on this all temperature red grease which is more like an oiled-jell than gunky grease. I stays and spreads just a little, vice slopping all over like CLP in DI guns.

This I think is the luxury of a piston gun and one reason why I chose it.

When I can figure out how to include images, will later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Super Tanker:

get your rail issue settled? yes from Ruger only ... guards for the handguards are little strips that go on with nylon screws.
Yes, got em from Ruger. Fortunately I only needed one for light and one for the vertical grip.

Decided against large rails (though I bought a 9") due to weight. Used one for a sling attach near gas block. trying to keep weight down since added the Gen 3 HD7 with magnifier. Now 9.8# as shown.
I'll have to get mine on a scale. It seems pretty heavy to me, but I don't mind.

After original cleanup with CLP to the firearm out of the box, a word on trigger: add shooter Choice red synthetic grease to the sear and it sweetens up fine.
I'll have to get some. I'm 700+ down range and the trigger is has gone from smooth to gritty.

Also to lightly to bearing surfaces: charging handle top, lightly to bolt carrier, locking lugs of bolt, cam pin, half moon recess in upper, threads and detent pin of buffer tube.

Breakfree or Slip CLP to surfaces and to springs, if necessary.

As this gun runs so cool and clean, wear is really the issue for maintenance. I am sold on this all temperature red grease which is more like an oiled-jell than gunky grease. I stays and spreads just a little, vice slopping all over like CLP in DI guns.

This I think is the luxury of a piston gun and one reason why I chose it.

When I can figure out how to include images, will later.
I put my images on photobucket and paste the link.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Just about done getting this set up the way I want:

Burris 1x4-24mm scope on a Burris PEPR QDmount,
FastFire III Reflex sight on a GG&G 5 slot Offset Rail mount,
Magpul ACS-L buttstock (Boresnake inside) & MIAD grip & MS4 Dual QD sling, Troy Ind. Sling adapter & QD360 Push Button Swivel Mount,
Caldwell AR15 Picatinny Rail mount brass catcher mount (bag not mounted for picture)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still modding mine, will list all the upgrades and pics when complete.

It's bad to the bone!

All I have left is the trigger, maybe a Wilson Combat 223/556/308 Trigger Unit Single Stage WC-TRTTU.

·
223 deer slayer
1,856 Posts
I did a trigger job over the weekend and all I can say is WOW.

brownells light trigger and sear springs that I had leftover from another AR project I sold and just found them, then I proceeded to polish the living snot out of the, trigger, sear, disconnector. anywhere there is slight contact. The factory ruger machining is good machining, but the finish of the contact areas was a coarse machining. about an hour polishing it and its excelleant. Might be the best hour I've spent on a firearm in the last decade. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but I'm willing to bet it is 1/3rd the pull it was.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sr-556e

I put a SR-556E on layaway last weekend and I've been debating whether it was a good choice ever since. I like everything about it except the barrel not being chrome-lined since it's the norm for everything else. I don't know if it's really necessary or people just want it because the military has it.. I've considering swapping the layaway to a SIG M400 or something else in the same price range.

I see a lot of photos of the 556E here though and didn't see any complaints in the few pages I perused.

·
223 deer slayer
1,856 Posts
I put a SR-556E on layaway last weekend and I've been debating whether it was a good choice ever since. I like everything about it except the barrel not being chrome-lined since it's the norm for everything else. I don't know if it's really necessary or people just want it because the military has it.. I've considering swapping the layaway to a SIG M400 or something else in the same price range.

I see a lot of photos of the 556E here though and didn't see any complaints in the few pages I perused.
You'll get better accuracy out of a non-chromed barrel. You'll get longer barrel life out of a chrome lined barrel. Look ai it this ways.. None of the WW1, ww2 girands, m1's, m1a's m14's etc had chrome lined barrels.

Chrome line barrels is a relatively "new" thing in the Ar's in the last 10 years or so.

The Russians used chrome lined barrels to protect the barrels from corrosive ammo, and crawling through swaps.

You're E will be fine. Clean it and make sure it has a light coat of oil and it will more than likely outlast you. I have approx 1500 rounds through mine and it is still a 1/2" MOA gun if I do my part.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just did a round count.

I'm at 800 downrange through my 556E.
I clean and lube it after every range session, including the piston.
No problems.
I love it everytime I pull the trigger...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went a different route

I found out I could get a SIG 516 for a few hundred more and decided it was worth the extra money. I also got a Trijicon ACOG for it. It's a really cool optic but the $$$ did hurt a bit...

·
Registered
32 Posts
bottom rail

Does anyone know the proper length of bottom rail for the 556E from ruger? Would like a rail for a bottom grip and bi-pod. Any recommendations for a grip or bi-pod or combo would would be greatly entertains. A good day to all!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go to amazon and get the ruger 10/22 4 rail package they have there it's $39 and you get 4 rails the top rail you can't use but the 2 side rails and the bottom rail fit nicely on the 556e also I have a magpul angled for end grip that fits nice on the new bottom rail. You commented on my thread so I thought I'd let you know about the rails they are way cheaper on amazon than the ruger store

·
Registered
32 Posts
rail pod

Thanks for the info. I will look into that bipod and definately order the rails. By the way gander mountain has a sale on .223 ammo in their flier. 8.99 box of American Eagle tactical 55 gram. Look on their weekly ad tab. Last page. Free shipping. Good shooting. Just got my nikkon 223 4x12x40 scope today. My friend has a membership at a 1000yd range. I know thats long for a .223, but 400 yard should be do able. When I get my rails and bipod I will post a picture.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You'll get better accuracy out of a non-chromed barrel. You'll get longer barrel life out of a chrome lined barrel. Look ai it this ways.. None of the WW1, ww2 girands, m1's, m1a's m14's etc had chrome lined barrels.

Chrome line barrels is a relatively "new" thing in the Ar's in the last 10 years or so.

The Russians used chrome lined barrels to protect the barrels from corrosive ammo, and crawling through swaps.

You're E will be fine. Clean it and make sure it has a light coat of oil and it will more than likely outlast you. I have approx 1500 rounds through mine and it is still a 1/2" MOA gun if I do my part.
The chances of a civilian benefiting from a chrome barrel are nil. Clean the barrel and use good ammo and the gun and barrel will outlast you unless the Red Chinese hit the beaches or something.

I really like the SR556E. I did not want the quad rails due to the weight, and the "E" model lets you trick the gun out the way YOU want it.

321 - 340 of 380 Posts